Only One IDE Drive Connector

Reaction score
My System Board has 4 SATA Connectors (2 HDrive) but only 1 IDE Drive Connector occupied by 1 DVD ROM and 1 DVD/RW drives.
I have a ZIP 250 Drive with an IDE Connection. Loads of ZIP Disks which need data removing.
I realise I could just use one of the DVD drives as a temporary measure but is there a way of connecting 3 devices or is that a definite no no ?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tellboy said:
My System Board has 4 SATA Connectors (2 HDrive) but only 1 IDE Drive Connector occupied by 1 DVD ROM and 1 DVD/RW drives.
I have a ZIP 250 Drive with an IDE Connection. Loads of ZIP Disks which need data removing.
I realise I could just use one of the DVD drives as a temporary measure but is there a way of connecting 3 devices or is that a definite no no ?
Never seen a MB with only one IDE channel ... err, no wait, comcrap did that, oh well. :rolleyes:

Nope! you cannot connect 3 into 1 :)

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Never seen a MB with only one IDE channel ... err, no wait, comcrap did that, oh well. :rolleyes:

Nope! you cannot connect 3 into 1 :)
Thanks
Yes fraid so.....it makes all your old odds and ends, hard drives, zip drives useless doesnt it . Perhaps that is the idea. The times people have given me a floppy disk to see if I could get a file off...No floppy drive (but a socket !)

https://www.pcreview.co.uk/gallery/showimage.php?i=381&c=14

I hope that is the photo gallery picture link. Never tried this before

muckshifter

Reaction score
welcome to Dell Hell ...

Ah, a BTX MB ... ain't Dell sad, anything to pinch a few pennies back. ;)

I hype on & on & on about getting the best MB you can afford and if the likes of Dell cannot tell you what they use ... walk away. :)

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Ah, a BTX MB ... ain't Dell sad, anything to pinch a few pennies back. ;)

I hype on & on & on about getting the best MB you can afford and if the likes of Dell cannot tell you what they use ... walk away. :)

user.gif

How can you identify it as a BTX MB ? Is it a different layout ?

muckshifter

Reaction score
tellboy said:
How can you identify it as a BTX MB ? Is it a different layout ?
Yep. ;)

An Intel "invention" that has not really taken off as we need to buy BTX kit for it ... crap idea when we all have older ATX stuff we can still use today. :D

Have a look HERE you'll notice that that MB too has only one IDE channel ... again, a pretty daft idea.

Eventually we'll all have SATA drives, I don't know when my IDE drives are going to fail, but they will I'm sure, then I'lll go get me a SATA ... until then I'll keep recycling. :thumb:

user.gif

* I wouldn't be a good system builder if I didn't know my stuff *

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
You could always get a cheap RAID card, stick it in a PCI slot and just use the sockets for IDE connections.

Ask a Question