Online Auctions

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've been using ebay for about three years now and love it to bits, but all I here is ranting and raving from people about how bad it is! Fair enough, there are some people that advetise silly things over and over again, that are rather annoying (wholesale CDs, Teeth Whitening kits, Diet loss pills! etc...), but there are some real bargains to be had!

Has anyone had any good/bad experiences?

Reaction score
I use ebay also and have done so now for about a year. I have had some fantastic deals from there and sold some unwated things as well.
I love it...and on the whole the ebay 'community' is in my opinion a friendly one. You get fools and con merchants everywhere, the internet often makes it seem that they congregate in the same place though!
I've also tried Bidz.com and Etkat.com (?, I think, it's been a while)and QXL, but ebay is most definately the best of the bunch.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'd never heard of those 2 before, I will have to check them out!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Funnily enough, I'd registered with ebay about three years ago but never used it.

Seeing this post prompted me to go and take another look.

I have one machine with Win98 (for playing older games) and Mandrake 9.1 on it.

There were a couple of games I wish I hadn't got rid of some years back, Shadow Man & Lands Of Lore III, both of which only run on Win98.

Whaddya know? Got them both on e-bay, Shadow Man for £7.00 inc. P & P and Lands Of Lore III for a fiver inclusive.

So yes, thumbs up to Ebay :)

Reaction score
On Line Auctions

I have been using eBay for a couple of years and have had such a positive experience that it is my first port of call for any shopping expedition. Obey the rules and check out a sellers rating before buying and always e-mail the other party if you are not 100% sure of the item.
I've had failures, but only if going for cheap bargains that come with the usual warnings. Some you win and some you lose.
Not everything is a bargain. Reliable sellers/ keen buyers usually arrive at 80% of the price obtainable elsewhere and sometimes the price goes beyond the retail price. People get carried away.
Discipline is everything, but it is fun. You'd be suprised at the low cost of items in the US which can be shipped here for a tenner.
.........and broadband helps. Here in the boondocks, we have to rely on steam telegraphy so it requires stopwatch timing to get a bid in a few seconds before closing!
...........and you'd be suprised at the number of auctions that are timed to finish in the middle of the b....dy night!

deemac

Reaction score
i have been using ebay for almost 5 years and i agree that you can find good deals on ebay, but at the same time not always you can be lucky. To get some item you spend hours and when you actually receive the items you know that is not what you wanted. It is ok if the difference in item cost on e-bay and at store is lot, but i don't think i will go through all the hassel for just $ 5.00 difference. just a thought.
I thinkg pricewatch.com and newegg.com is worth checking for computer and electronic stuff

Ask a Question