Scan Suck - Warranty Refused

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone out there has any more stories about their bad experiences with scan? I have. I have been building computers for several years and never once have I damaged the socket on installation or removal of a CPU and this wasn't going to be such an occasion either.

The background to this situation is that I purchased a complete custom build as recommended by CUSTOM PC magazine. One item of which recommended was the Gigabyte P55M-UD2. The board burned out and I had it RMA'ed and replaced by Scan the first time - that was good, well I had just spent over a grand with them on this one occasion, not to mention over that number in my history with them not accounting their newer account management system.

After a year, the board burned out again. The northbridge chips had blown. After emailing them about it and getting replies marked with contempt they eventually allowed me the RMA. It seems they dislike people who are making more work for them.

I double-wrapped the motherboard with bubble wrap and put it into a cardboard envelope sent by signed courier to Scan returns. They tested the board and sent me an automated reply of warranty being 'Rejected'. I had to login to Scan.co.uk to find out that their tester had said some northbridge chips had blown, but were unable to test the board because the socket had taken extensive damage.

I thought they could be professional about the process since according to their technical manager "none of it comes out of our pocket, we just get the manufacturer to exchange it and so it is no problem for us" - needless to say, either I am a hysterical liar, or someone stuck some tweezers in my dead board socket and twisted and bent some pins. This could not have come about from delivery and neither would I purposely damage my board so that it is refused warranty.

Neither would I take photographic evidence to disprove any malpractice - which I am going to do now for all returns in future and advise others to do so as well. Something about this smelled bad, and I felt like an employee had done this because they see me as a bad customer.

After I had called them to complain and ask them why they'd stick their thumb in there to void my warranty and getting rebutted to suggest that I'd be the one to do such a thing when I'd never intentially void my warranty unless I was some kind of imbecile. He said he would return the board free of charge (yeah what am I going to do with my dead board anyway?) after I had emphasised how impossible this is to have happened it made no difference.

He then offered to show me a photograph of the locations of the damage to the socket via email attached below. See what you think. Damage by me or damage by them? Oh and I'm using exactly the same CPU right now, the one which must have somehow forked my old motherboard socket.

Full size image found here...
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/2083/94080621.jpg

FwLOm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
How long was the warranty on the pc for?
I know that some companies only offer a 1 year warranty on motherboards.

And welcome to the forum.:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum :)

Calling yourself 'moderator' on a forum probably not a good idea but hey...

A sorry tale, I've had two run-ins with Scan now so I only use them as a last resort which is a shame as I get free postage for being a Hexus forum member.

Talking of Hexus, Scan have a customer service section at the Hexus Forum, you may be wise to share your experience there.

Reaction score
Hi, yeah. I'm moderator. Pleased to meet fellow moderators ;) What good would it do to post on Nexus? I expect I will be garnished for "user error" by the community rather than that it is entirely possible someone can hold a grudge over e-mail queries and do something perfectly easy to cover up?

I am suggesting malpractice by a technician at Scan. I've worked in e-commerce application development and I know first-hand that in supporting people you can and may prioritise over those who get the hump - but in my case I had the hump with these people for putting me in a boat of contempt because I had returned on warranty once already - and felt like I was being fobbed off. Given the circumstances of what has come to pass - isn't it too much of a coincidence?

@feckit : I meant that I had purchased all the components of a recommended spec. One of which was the Gigabyte P55M-UD2 , which in my opinion is lacking in the northbridge heatsink area. The warranty of the board expires in 2012/13 so it was well within warranty still.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Scan eh? Not the first time i've read bad things about them......

I've read this kind of thing before, not just Scan, and i'd always take photos of the socket if i were sending back a motherboard as its one thing i've read about way too much.... Even see experienced PC builders being caught out by it.

Unfortunately i cant really see what you can do, its your word against them i guess... :/

P.S, I fixed that image as it was messing up the forums layout for the members that dont use automatic image resizing. :)

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles, Scan eh? Not the first time i've read bad things about them......

I've read this kind of thing before, not just Scan, and i'd always take photos of the socket if i were sending back a motherboard as its one thing i've read about way too much.... Even see experienced PC builders being caught out by it.

Unfortunately i cant really see what you can do, its your word against them i guess... :/

P.S, I fixed that image as it was messing up the forums layout for the members that dont use automatic image resizing. :)

This is outrageous, and seems to highlight my point exactly. So when you look at that image. Does it not look exactly like it has been deliberately damaged by someone? How can motherboard pins bend themselves in this way? What can I do?

Ask a Question