Old Dell...no POST

Reaction score
So, as you can see by the title, I'm currently wrestling with an old dell, probably from around 99 or 2000. I'm attempting to fix it for a good friend and I'd hate for them to have spend money on a new computer as this one is definitely not worth fixing.

Symptoms:
No POST.
Green light on the front stays green the whole time, as it is supposed to do.
No beeps.
Hard drive still spins.

The processor is a 1000mHz P4. The RAM is RDRAM...PC800 - Basically worthless and impossible to find. It's some sort of dell mobo, however I can't tell you what the make is. It has four RAM slots that all must be occupied or the computer won't boot. There are two 64MB sticks in along with two dummy sticks to complete the circuit.

I have no idea what the problem is; I've swapped out everything except the RAM and Processor.

What I need to know is:
-How can I figure out if it's the processor or the RAM?
-Would it be a better idea to rebuild if my price range is 500ish?
-How do i clear/reset CMOS? What is CMOS, anyway?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
The CMOS is used to refer to small battery-powered configuration chips on motherboards, where the BIOS stores the date, the time, and system configuration details. ;)

So, when one say to "reset the CMOS" or "reset the BIOS" they mean take the battery out ... you may find a 'jumper' on the MB that should do the job for you ... if you have the old green barrel type battery, good luck with the soldering iron.
nod.gif

Dell were very nasty in not sticking with the ATX standards ... their MB & PSUs had the wrong power pin configuration BUT, you could fit any ATX power supply only to find you just 'blew' the MB. They only recently changed that practice.

If you can find any markings on the MB (F5949) or on the case that may tell me what you have, please post. Is it a Dimention or some such silly Dell name?

Good luck with the Door Stop, build a new PC. :thumb:

Ask a Question