No startup sequence

Reaction score
I was happily browsing the web when the screen suddenly went blank. Seemed as if the PC was trying to reboot but absolutely nothing loaded up. Not even a "post" and didn't make the usual beeps when it boots up. I left it for 30 seconds or so but to no avail. I opened the case up, whilst it's dusty I couldn't spot anything loose. Although in the past few months, I suddenly had a "CMOS startup error" on startup and then it took me into some setup options. Where I chose to load the default BIOS.

I've checked the battery and tried three batteries (two used and one new) but the problem remains. I swapped the GFX out for another one but it doesn't make a difference. For some reason the machine will not load up at all and the HD light just constantly hangs. The only time it booted up to windows was when I tried the second battery for the first time. I had to go into BIOS and change the CMOS settings. When the desktop loaded up it was only there for five seconds before the screen went blank and my HD light was on constantly.

One of my RAM sticks was a little dusty so I cleaned it with a brush, I also cleaned the RAM slot. However the machine again wouldn't bootup. It's as if the motherboard can't access the HDDs. Could my mobo simply be buggered?

My specs are :-

Gigabyte GA-8KNXP (Rev 1.x) motherboard
P4 3.2 ghz processor
Crucial (Legacy) 2 GB RAM (2x1GB)
XFX GeForce 7600 GT GFX
Windows XP SP2
C: Drive = 111GB
D : Drive = 20GB
E: Drive = 37GB

Here's an image of my mobo :-

motherboard_productimage_ga-8knxp(rev1.x)_big.jpg

Here's some information on my mobo :-

GA-8KNXP Rev 1.x

And mobo manual :-

Manual

Reaction score
We've been covering what to do when the PC doesn't boot up in class at College, and you've tried all the things we have covered that would normally recover the system, with that said, I presume your motherboard is somewhat broken. Another thing that makes me say the motherboard is broken is because the 2nd time round of replacing the CMOS battery it came alive and then died again, that to me shouts unusual problem.

Have you tried substituting the motherboard with one you know works (i.e. will start-up another PC)? ...then that'd clear up my (if not anyone else's) assumption.

Reaction score
Jason.369 said:
We've been covering what to do when the PC doesn't boot up in class at College, and you've tried all the things we have covered that would normally recover the system, with that said, I presume your motherboard is somewhat broken. Another thing that makes me say the motherboard is broken is because the 2nd time round of replacing the CMOS battery it came alive and then died again, that to me shouts unusual problem.

Have you tried substituting the motherboard with one you know works (i.e. will start-up another PC)? ...then that'd clear up my (if not anyone else's) assumption.

Thanks for your reply. I have a 'shell' PC with a motherboard but I don't know if it even works. It;s older than the one I have and I'm not too sure about connecting everything up!

Ask a Question