OL2K w/ multiple email accts. replies using the wrong one

Hi folks,

I have searched the net and this group for several days and seen many posts
stating flatly that Outlook will always reply using the account that the
original message was received on. I'm here to tell you that just isn't true.
Here's my config:

OL2K SP3 IMO with all security updates as of today, running on XP Media
Edition 2005, also fully updated.
Acct. #1: (e-mail address removed) (default)
Acct. #2: (e-mail address removed)
Both domains are hosted by the same provider on the same web server, and
both POP3 mailboxes are on the same mail server, but accessed with different
credentials. Both accounts send outgoing mail through a common smtp server
account, which is at a different ISP from either of the POP3 accounts. (Web
host has crazy restrictions on mail relay...don't ask.) Outlook pulls mail
from both POP3 accounts into one Inbox. There are no Inbox rules in effect.

If I receive email addressed to Acct. #1 (the default) and I reply, it will
use Acct. #2 as the sender address unless I manually change it. It also uses
Acct. 2 for replies to mail received on Acct. 2, which of course is OK. Note
that this is NOT the program's design behavior as described by several MVPs
in these threads, and it is not even a case where it always uses the default
account. In this case it NEVER uses the default account for replies or
forwards, but always uses the secondary account. New emails always use the
default account, as normal.

I have deleted and re-added both accounts several times and I have tested
all permutations of send and reply. Outlook unfailingly uses the Acct. #2
address for replies regardless of which account the original message was
received on. This is a big pain because most received mail is on Acct. 1 and
I often forget to manually change the address when replying. The people I
correspond with get confused because replies seem to be coming from an
entirely different company.

Please help, because I don't have enough hair left to be pulling it out at
this rate.
Thanks in advance.

Roady [MVP]

I can't really remember how good Outlook 2000 IMO support for this was but
it should definitely work correctly for Outlook 2002/XP and up.

When replying to a mail from account 1 does the Accounts button already
display that it is going to use account 2 BEFORE pressing Send?

If you add the Accounts column does it indate that it indeed used account
1to download the item?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----
"Mysterysoft Corporation" <[email protected]>
wrote in message Hi folks,

[...]

Thanks for your interest. I have been out of the office for two days and
haven't had a chance to check out your questions, but I will at my earliest
chance. Thanks for standing by.
--
Change is inevitable...except from vending machines.

wrote in message Hi folks,

[...]

You're welcome. Don't be a stranger ;-)

--

wrote in message
[...]

OK, I've finally had a chance to get back to this.

When I hit reply on a message addressed to Acct. 1 and pull down the
drop-down menu incorporated into the Send button, it gives the shortcut key
combo of ALT+S for Acct. 2. That implies to me that OL considers Acct. 2 the
default at this point. I checked Tools/Accounts to verify that Acct. 1 was
still the actual default.

I then added the Internet Account field to the current view of the Inbox,
and it says it actually received the Acct. 1 message using Acct. 2! This
makes no sense, because I displayed the full header of the Acct. 1 message
and Acct. 2 is never mentioned, at least not in text. I suppose one of the
numeric ids could refer to Acct. 2. Where could OL be picking this up? I
could understand if it was always using the default account, but it's using
the other one.
--

Roady said:
I can't really remember how good Outlook 2000 IMO support for this was but
it should definitely work correctly for Outlook 2002/XP and up.

When replying to a mail from account 1 does the Accounts button already
display that it is going to use account 2 BEFORE pressing Send?

If you add the Accounts column does it indate that it indeed used account
1to download the item?

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----
"Mysterysoft Corporation"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

I see that no one has anything to say about this. Just to complete the
story, I did work around this weird behavior but it still makes no sense. I
set up a rule at the Acct. 2 POP3 mailbox to forward all messages to a POP3
mailbox at the ISP that I have been using for sending smtp mail. Then I
changed the Account profile in OL to pull Acct. 2 mail from that mailbox.
All I can figure is that OL was confused by both mailboxes being on the same
server, and now that they're not OL can keep them straight. I'm fortunate
that I already had available mailboxes at the ISP, or I would have had to
spend money to fix what can only be an OL bug.