Windows XP Office Basic 2003/2007 Fiasco

Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a Dell XPS 700 over a year ago and it came with Office Basic 2003 installed. I was instructed to request a free upgrade to Office 2007 and I received it in the mail and it has sat in a box for over a year.
I finally decided to install it today. It seemed to install OK but what I didn't realize (foolishly, perhaps) was that Office 2007 Basic does not include Outlook.
Realizing that I need Outlook and didn't want to buy it again, I did the next foolish thing...instead of trying to received Office 2007 I just did a system restore back to earlier in the day, pre-install.
When I got there my 2003 icons were back on the desktop but nothing would work. Suspecting that I was getting in deeper but not knowing what else to do I tried to restore vaward to post-2007 install so at least that would be working correctly (minus Outlook). At that point in the programs list I had BOTH 2003 and 2007 but neither would run.
Deciding to take advantage of my XPS service I called Dell and was told I had corrupted the registry beyond repair (this diagnosis was based only upon my above description...the tech never had me look at anything in particular) and that tomorrow we will have to do an "Image Restore".
Unhappy with this (but agreeing to it) after I hung up I tried one more restore and this time 2007 appeared (not 2003) and after it loaded a few components it seems to be running OK (though I had to leave for work so I did little testing).
Now I have asked a few computer people here at work and I get 2 distinct opinions

1) Do the Image Restore (or better yet, a clean OS re-install, so I don't re-load Dell bloatware) because in all lilkelyhood my registry IS seriously messed up.

2) Try to uninstall Office 2007 and then reinstall 2003 (which I do have the disc for).

I suppose #2 can't hurt...I guess?

Anyway, I obviously brought all of this on myself and am not very knowledgable on this stuff so I thought I'd get some input. I appreciate any advice.

Not being near my PC I apologize for the lack of specifics. The most I can tell you is that I am running XP pro.

Best,
Allogist

Reaction score
Reinstall Office 2007..... then uninstall it.
Then
Reinstall Office 2003 and uninstall it.

(Use the repair options where available for the reinstalls)
(Reboot inbetween reinstalls and removals)
(Because both versions have different components they should reuse the existing registery strings upon reinstalling)

Then reinstall the version of your choice.

MS products are fairly good at cleaning up the registery by doing this.

JaLing

(Btw... I have Office 97, XP and 2007 all fully working on this comp... the joys of different DB standards etc between them)

Ask a Question