Office 97 service packs

George Neuner

Hi all,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I need to install Office97 on XPpro
SP3. The hard disk had to be replaced, so this is a fresh install.

My problem is I can't get the Office97 service packs to install
properly. SP1 won't update all the applications (though which ones are
refused appears to be random). Once when I successfully did get
through SP1, SP2a refused to work saying that Office wasn't installed.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling several times and I've followed
the instructions in the Knowledge Base for making sure all traces of
the base install and SP1 are gone.

I'm thinking it might be an XP service pack issue because it obviously
worked the last time this machine was built (~2006). The KB doesn't
say anything about Office97 and Windows versions except to note that
the tool for scrubbing Office97 doesn't work on XP (there are manual
instructions to get around that).

I only have available discs OS with SP3 pre-installed, so I can't try
installing Office97 on a previous service pack and then upgrading.

Any help would be appreciated.
George

LVTravel

George Neuner said:
[...]

The "service packs" you should install are SR 1 (sr1off97.exe with a file
size of 8683 KB) and SR 2b (sr2bof97.exe with file size of 23600 KB and not
2a.) You may want to try to remove the font file Hatten.ttf (rename it's
extension in Windows\Fonts folder) prior to installing either of the service
releases. You can restore the file name after SR 2b has been finished.
While Hatten.ttf is supposed to affect Access 97 as a "license" issue I have
had issues when I attempted to update a new install of '97 on XP and Win 7
machines (never did get 97 to install on Vista.) Also you may want to
reboot the computer between the installation and each SR install. That has
also helped me get the program installed on various computers. And just for
clarification, they were called service releases not service packs in '97.
Hope this helps.

Peter Foldes

George

Without repeating the post by LVTravel I was about to post the same. So follow his
post

--
Peter
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

George Neuner

The "service packs" you should install are SR 1 (sr1off97.exe with a file
size of 8683 KB) and SR 2b (sr2bof97.exe with file size of 23600 KB and not
2a.) You may want to try to remove the font file Hatten.ttf (rename it's
extension in Windows\Fonts folder) prior to installing either of the service
releases. You can restore the file name after SR 2b has been finished.
While Hatten.ttf is supposed to affect Access 97 as a "license" issue I have
had issues when I attempted to update a new install of '97 on XP and Win 7
machines (never did get 97 to install on Vista.) Also you may want to
reboot the computer between the installation and each SR install. That has
also helped me get the program installed on various computers. And just for
clarification, they were called service releases not service packs in '97.
Hope this helps.

Sorry, I mistyped in the original message ... I am trying to install
Office97 SR1, SR2a and b, and the patch to prevent user information
from being included in the doc files.

I did try renaming hatten.ttf as recommended by the knowledge base
article, but that hasn't helped and SR1 has complained at various
times about each of the applications. Each time SR1 failed, I
uninstalled Office completely and started over. Only once did SR1
install correctly, but then SR2a said Office wasn't installed.

I'm not sure whether I have faithfully rebooted between each install -
a lot of times I don't unless the install forces it - so I will try
doing that.

George

- Bobb -

George Neuner said:
<Snipped>
Each time SR1 failed, I
uninstalled Office completely and started over. Only once did SR1
install correctly, but then SR2a said Office wasn't installed.

I'm not sure whether I have faithfully rebooted between each install -
a lot of times I don't unless the install forces it - so I will try
doing that.

George

Uninstall it via control Panel. Download and run a good scrubber like
Ccleaner and run it manually to search for/clean up temp files Office links
etc ( you can check boxes on each tab)
Reboot. Maybe even rerun it to see that all temp files were purged.
Go to Add/remove - no Office app / nor Office SP listed, right ?
Now you know the registry is clean.

One thing I might mention since I'm not sure ....
Disconnect from internet in case XP is going online to register and ...
maybe Office 97 can't register online ??
You DIDN'T say.. XP .. is it Home or Pro and is it OEM or store-bought CD?
What version of Office ? Store Bought ? Home/Student edition ? Corporate ?
If not sure, what apps came on CD ?
License key on the envelope ?

norm

[...]

Is This Any help:-

"
From (e-mail address removed) Thu Feb 24 00:59:09 2005
From: "Mickey" <[email protected]>

Subject: Re: New computer with XP SP2 compatibility with Word 97?
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:59:09 -0600

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics

Always Backup your Registry:

I have a new Dell Dimension and I have WinXP SP2, I went to install MS

Office 97 Pro and came up with an error, Windows Could not register at

htmlmarq.ocx

a.. You May Encounter An Error Trying To Install Office 97 On A
System
With Windows XP SP/2 Installed.
b..
c.. Install Office 97 On Windows XP w/SP2 The Fix
a.. Open regedit and browse to this key:
b.. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options
c.. You will find the keys... htmlmarq.ocx and htmlmm.ocx.
d.. Rename each key as follows... htmlmarq.tmp and
htmlmm.tmp.
e.. Install Office 97, and enjoy!

This Fix is courtesy of Maryville Computers at
http://www.maryvillecomputers.com/tip_links.htm

If you experience the same error I did, here is the fix to
resolve it,
I tried it and Wow it works great, so does my MS Office Suite.

Good Luck,
Mickey "

George Neuner

Uninstall it via control Panel. Download and run a good scrubber like
Ccleaner and run it manually to search for/clean up temp files Office links
etc ( you can check boxes on each tab)
Reboot. Maybe even rerun it to see that all temp files were purged.
Go to Add/remove - no Office app / nor Office SP listed, right ?
Now you know the registry is clean.

That's an excellent idea ... I didn't think to run a registry cleaner.
The Office97 apps all have INI files so I figured they made minimal
use of the registry - just associations and whatnot.

One thing I might mention since I'm not sure ....
Disconnect from internet in case XP is going online to register and ...
maybe Office 97 can't register online ??

AFAIK, Office97 does not phone home - the apps just needs keys. But
in any event I can disconnect the computer.

You DIDN'T say.. XP .. is it Home or Pro

Actually I did ... XPpro SP3.
and is it OEM or store-bought CD? What version of Office ? Store Bought ?
Home/Student edition ? Corporate ? If not sure, what apps came on CD ?
License key on the envelope ?

This particular copy of Office97 is a store bought professional
version with all applications. It belongs to the person I'm fixing
the computer for.

George

George Neuner

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I need to install Office97 on XPpro
SP3 ... My problem is I can't get the Office97 service packs to install
properly.

Finally I got everything installed. Despite all the good advice given
here, I had no joy until somebody offline pointed me to an article
about how Access97 refuses to install on a machine with more 1GB.

The machine has 2GB.

Well, it proved more complicated than that. I edited boot.ini to
restrict memory, but it took several attempts and I had to reduce
memory below 256MB *and* hide hatten.ttf *and* reboot every frackin'
time I did something before I finally got the whole Office97 package
to install properly.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I hope I never have to do it again.
George

LVTravel

George Neuner said:
Finally I got everything installed. Despite all the good advice given
here, I had no joy until somebody offline pointed me to an article
about how Access97 refuses to install on a machine with more 1GB.

The machine has 2GB.

Well, it proved more complicated than that. I edited boot.ini to
restrict memory, but it took several attempts and I had to reduce
memory below 256MB *and* hide hatten.ttf *and* reboot every frackin'
time I did something before I finally got the whole Office97 package
to install properly.

Thanks to everyone who helped. I hope I never have to do it again.
George

Don't know why you had issues with a 2 GB system as my laptop with XP Pro
SP3 has 2 GB and the Win 7 system is sitting at 4 GB and no issues other
than the help I had given.

I've installed Office Pro 97 on many systems with XP Pro and Home with 2 GB
and more without issues at all. Even have an older Win 2000 Pro system with
1.5 GB RAM and no issues, even with the hatten.ttf file on that one.

George Neuner

Don't know why you had issues with a 2 GB system as my laptop with XP Pro
SP3 has 2 GB and the Win 7 system is sitting at 4 GB and no issues other
than the help I had given.

I've installed Office Pro 97 on many systems with XP Pro and Home with 2 GB
and more without issues at all. Even have an older Win 2000 Pro system with
1.5 GB RAM and no issues, even with the hatten.ttf file on that one.

I don't know what the deal was ... despite the warnings about Access97
and memory limits, I didn't have any trouble installing it on 2GB (or
1GB or 512MB). It seems that all of the problems were somehow
connected to the SR1 pack and whatever it was looking for.

But thank you again for your help - ultimately it was a blend of all
the advice I received that finally made it work.

George