OEM Controversy Update.

kurttrail

Subject: Can A Motherboard Be Upgraded With OEM WinXP And Keep The Same
License?
From: "Kurtis Kirsch"
Sent: 12/11/2003 7:25:07 PM
Link:
http://communities.microsoft.com/ne...06ea01c3c05f%248a90aff0%[email protected]%3E

"If the motherboard is replaced, then essentially a new
computer has been created and a new operating system
license is required."

"If the motherboard is replaced, the computer system is
deemed "new" and a new license would be required."

I have gotten these two answers in this group from the
Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Team in the past,
however I have recently been made aware of the quote below:

"Every single piece of hardware could be changed on a PC
with SLP and no reactivation would be required - even the
motherboard could be replaced as long as the replacement
motherboard was original equipment manufactured by the OEM
and retained the proper BIOS." -
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...net/prodtechnol/winxppro/evaluate/xpactiv.asp

Some corporate OEM's contract out the manufacturing of
their Motherboards to other companies, so I don't see much
difference between them replacing the motherboard for
their End Users, and me replacing the motherboard for my
End User, me. So as an End User that built his own
computer, can I replace my motherboard and still keep the
same OEM license for Windows XP, or do I have to buy
another one becasue only OEM's that are corporate entities
have the right to replace motherboards and keep the same
OEM license for Windows XP for their End Users?

Thanks,
Kurtis Kirsch

License?