You're not Alone, Kurt / Anonomous....

where did the thread

" You're not Alone, Kurt" at...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...l&mid=ed615094-7054-4ce2-bfb2-5015af51212e');

...go to?

It seems like a lot of fuss over the nature of OEM's. OEM it seems is not
just for the frugal PC shopper but a 'catch' for the end user to be forced
to buy the same operating system 2wice.

If I want a new motherboard or upgrade to a newer OS, OEM is not
licensed/supported and I'm forced to buy the full version. Did I not pay for
the OEM with the PC? It certainly wasnt shipped to the builder for free.
Should I not get SOME sort of break just to upgrade to full version
(considering its mostly a licensing condition) like Full version OS holders
to upgrade to a whole new OS?

(below: rough estimation based on Canadian dollar)
$100 - OEM with new PC
+$200 - full version Windows OS (to upgrade OS or MB)
-------
$300 = M$ > Buying full version OS with new PC ($200)

OEM's are nothing more than extended trialware. Buyer beware.

I will retract my statement however (from the deleted thread) about
installing my OEM on a new MB. Other than being 'illegal' The XP life line is
about to end soon to which it seems pointless to buy an AGING product at full
price so I will keep my crap box running until a decent OS comes out giving
me plenty of time to custom build my own machine.

Note: XP service will not run out anytime soon as it has WELL over a year
service left (mostly only for the Porfessional version, Home will expire
sooner).

Alias

brandon said:
where did the thread

" You're not Alone, Kurt" at...

I still have it, just no one new has replied.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...l&mid=ed615094-7054-4ce2-bfb2-5015af51212e');

..go to?

It seems like a lot of fuss over the nature of OEM's. OEM it seems is not
just for the frugal PC shopper but a 'catch' for the end user to be forced
to buy the same operating system 2wice.

Sure seems that way.
If I want a new motherboard or upgrade to a newer OS, OEM is not
licensed/supported and I'm forced to buy the full version.

Actually, untrue. Branded OEMs, yes, generic OEMs, no.

Did I not pay for
the OEM with the PC? It certainly wasnt shipped to the builder for free.
Should I not get SOME sort of break just to upgrade to full version
(considering its mostly a licensing condition) like Full version OS holders
to upgrade to a whole new OS?

(below: rough estimation based on Canadian dollar)
$100 - OEM with new PC
+$200 - full version Windows OS (to upgrade OS or MB)

The only XP available in Spain, other than generic OEMs, are retail
upgrades and they go for 370 US dollars (Home). A full generic Home OEM
goes for 96 US Dollars so it's no wonder everyone here buys generic
OEMs. For the price of one, you can buy three OEMs with 82 US Dollars
change.
OEM's are nothing more than extended trialware. Buyer beware.

Not true. You can use a generic OEM as long as your computer, even
upgraded, lasts.
I will retract my statement however (from the deleted thread) about
installing my OEM on a new MB. Other than being 'illegal' The XP life line is
about to end soon to which it seems pointless to buy an AGING product at full
price so I will keep my crap box running until a decent OS comes out giving
me plenty of time to custom build my own machine.

You can upgrade your machine as much as you want if you have a generic
OEM. If you have a branded on like from Dell or HP, you're stuck with
the motherboard that comes with it.
Note: XP service will not run out anytime soon as it has WELL over a year
service left (mostly only for the Porfessional version, Home will expire
sooner).

There are still critical updates for Win98/Me/W2K and there's a service
pack 3 coming out for XP next year.

Alias

Vagabond Software

brandon dub said:
[...]

------

Pardon me, but that's a lot of nonsense. You can install an OEM version of
Windows XP on a system with a new motherboard as often as you like. The
only retail versions of Windows that I have ever owned were Windows 3.1 and
Windows ME. If you slave your old hard drive in your new system, you're
"upgrading".

The OEM rules exist primarily at the behest of the system builders who do
not want to continue to support the OS you purchased from them on hardware
that you did not purchase from them. So, if you read the fine print of most
OEM resellers, almost any hardware change will free them from their
obligation to support your system, including the operating sytsem. However,
nowhere does Microsoft prohibit you from installing your OEM version on an
upgraded OEM system. They just won't offer free phone support for that
operating system since they did not sell it to you.

Windows XP Professional Lifecycle currently has no end date, but we can
determine what it might be based on information from Microsoft:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223
"Mainstream support will end two years after the next version of this
product is released. Extended support will end five years after mainstream
support ends."

Since there isn't going to be another Windows XP "release", we must go to
the service pack support to estimate end-of-life.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifesupsps#Windows
"Support ends either 12 months after the next service pack releases or at
the end of the product's support lifecycle, whichever comes first."

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/servicepacks.mspx
"SP3 for Windows XP Professional is currently planned for 2H 2007. This date
is preliminary."

Yeah, it's preliminary, which means they aren't going to hit that release
date either. So, mainstream support ends sometime in late 2008 and security
updates end sometime in 2013.

carl

God

Actually its perfectly legal for you to reinstall OEM XP with your new
motherboard. If anybody tells you otherwise get them to show you where you
agreed or were even actively made aware of the any part of the EULA that
suggested you couldn't or that the EULA is even a legally binding document.

Brian McMullen

Actually, by hitting the F8 key you are acknowledging & agreeing to MS terms
which, in turn, makes it a legal and binding document....
~B

Alias

Brian said:
Actually, by hitting the F8 key you are acknowledging & agreeing to MS terms
which, in turn, makes it a legal and binding document....
~B

By that time, you cannot get your money back so it isn't a legal and
binding agreement but a scam. That said, nowhere in my EULAs, be they in
English or Spanish, is a motherboard mentioned.

Alias

God

I've never hit the F8 key when installing software and I would challange
anybody to prove otherwise. Even if I did agree to the EULA and entered
into a contract with Microsoft it would not be illegal to break the
contract. This is assuming that the contract is even a legal contract.

Jone Doe

Well, if you DON'T agree to the EULA by whatever means, the software won't
install.

End of argument.

Brian McMullen

Dear God,
If you read the OP it is specifically regarding the install of the Windows
O/S not some random peice of software.
If you don't hit F8 during the O/S install then you're not running any
version of Windows since Win95.
LMAO!!! Good thing there's no F8 on the 10 commandments huh GOD..?????

~B

mamamia

Jone said:
Well, if you DON'T agree to the EULA by whatever means, the software won't
install.

End of argument.

What if I don't agree with the EULA by principle?

Vagabond Software

mamamia said:
What if I don't agree with the EULA by principle?

That's easy. You shove the Microsoft OS off the end of your desk and into
the trash can and install an OS that has a EULA with which you can agree.
I've done it on numerous occassions.

carl

Winux P

Your very own signature can be contested on a contractual agreement by your
very self. Legally you can press the F8 key and disagree to EULA, it's no
where near binding.

- Winux P

"Brian McMullen" <bdmcmullenATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
: Actually, by hitting the F8 key you are acknowledging & agreeing to MS
terms
: which, in turn, makes it a legal and binding document....
: ~B
:
:
: : > Actually its perfectly legal for you to reinstall OEM XP with your new
: > motherboard. If anybody tells you otherwise get them to show you where
: > you agreed or were even actively made aware of the any part of the EULA
: > that suggested you couldn't or that the EULA is even a legally binding
: > document.
:
:

God

I'm too busy to sit at my PC and hit keys during installation. Mojo the
helper momkey does this form me. Are you saying that a monkey can enter
into a legally binding agreement on behalf of a person?

Leythos

I'm too busy to sit at my PC and hit keys during installation. Mojo the
helper momkey does this form me. Are you saying that a monkey can enter
into a legally binding agreement on behalf of a person?

You authorized the actions of the Monkey, that means you agreed to
anything the monkey did.

mamamia

Vagabond said:
That's easy. You shove the Microsoft OS off the end of your desk and into
the trash can and install an OS that has a EULA with which you can agree.
I've done it on numerous occassions.

carl
But I can verify for a fact that Windows installs just fine even if I
don't agree with it by principle, and that is a direct contradiction to
Jone Doe's words.

Leythos

But I can verify for a fact that Windows installs just fine even if I
don't agree with it by principle, and that is a direct contradiction to
Jone Doe's words.

Now you're playing word games - you either agree or not, you don't get
an "Opinion". The button that you press is not some wishy-washy thing,
it's either than you agree or you don't, no leeway.

Armand Hammer

So you are saying that a monkey can enter into a legally binding contract on
behalf of a human if the monkey is authorized to do so?

Armand Hammer

Correct and even if one accepts that a legally binding contract has be
entered into, breaking the contract is not illegal and there is no penalty
for breaking the contract.

Armand Hammer

Forget about plays on words, there is no way of proving the agreement took
place or what was agreed upon.

Here is another example, a friend bought a custom built pc that the store
installed the OS and some software on. I was there when he first booted it
up and he never agreeed to any EULA, how is the EULA agreement a binding
document for him?

Leythos

So you are saying that a monkey can enter into a legally binding contract on
behalf of a human if the monkey is authorized to do so?

No, I'm saying that just because you have someone else or something else
push the button, it doesn't remove your responsibility for the agreement
or action.