New Mobo needs New OEM license according to MS!

kurttrail

http://communities.microsoft.com/ne...newsgroup=microsoft.communities.oem.licensing
Subject: Upgrade Motherboard by EndUser
From: "System Builder Licensing" <[email protected]>Sent: 8/7/2003 12:04:15 PM

Hello Kurt,

Thank you for your posting. Your friend may upgrade or
replace all of the hardware components on his computer and
maintain the original OEM System Builder operating system
license with the exception of the motherboard. If the
motherboard is replaced, then essentially a new computer
has been created and a new operating system license is
required. Also, note that if the hard drive fails, the
original operating system may also be installed on a
new/replacement hard drive as long as the first copy of
the operating system is first removed from the old hard
drive.

For questions and answers specific to used and refurbished
PCs, please visit:
http://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/script/517169.asp. If
you would like to review a comprehensive group of OEM
Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to you
as a system builder:
https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/script/514341.asp.

Thank you,
The Microsoft OEM System Builder Licensing Team

--
Peace!
Kurt

Nicholas

Yes indeed, those that stay informed have known this ever
since OEM versions of Windows XP became available!
Another reason to buy a retail version, not an OEM version!

--
Nicholas

| http://communities.microsoft.com/ne...newsgroup=microsoft.communities.oem.licensing
|
| >> Upgrade Motherboard by EndUser

Lester Horwinkle

Ridiculous. So what's next?

Will Chevrolet tell you that you must buy a new engine whenever you change
the tires?