Windows 10 October 2018 Update

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I updated today, it took 4 hours to complete. It threw a couple errors and after a restart it continued just fine. One bug I noticed is that it changed my mouse theme back to the small icons. I wonder what other goodies I'm going to find changed without my permission :lol:

Oh, and don't get me started on the new tracking features they've got now :cry:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Found another bug, when I use my trackpad to scroll the page, the Mail app is jittery when moving. It works fine in other apps like my browser so I know it's specific to the Mail app.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I did it remotely this morning. Yep I like to live dangerously. All seemed fine, will find out when I get home. :lol:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I love it when apps lose features. Like why did they remove a feature? Did someone forget to include it in the update? Or did management decide that the nice feature was no longer needed? I don't get it, I have plenty of hard drive to store the extra code for the feature I want, so what's the problem? :mad:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
Another bug, I have received the same notification 3 times this morning. I'm not snoozing it, I'm dismissing it, so there is no reason for it to come back so often. Definitely something screwy with the mechanics :fool:

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
It only took one hour to download, and 3 hours of updating and restarting. I think it's my processor, a Celeron.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
I'm just glad I didn't experience the deleted files and reduced battery life that other people have gone through :cry:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm yet to update, but it's downloaded and ready for a restart.

I updated my NAS firmware this morning and caused hours of chaos (a buggy release), so I hope this goes smoothly!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'd hold off installing it if I were you Ian, for now anyway.

Microsoft pulls the Windows 10 October 2018 Update as it investigates user files going missing

Microsoft has pulled the Windows 10 October 2018 Update from Windows Update and its media creation website as it investigates issues with the update deleting users files upon install. Users first started reporting that their documents folder had gone missing after an upgrade to the October 2018 Update a few days ago, and Microsoft has since confirmed that it is looking into the issue.

For now, until the issue is fixed, the October 2018 Update has been pulled. It is no longer available for download officially, and there is no word on when it will be made available again. This is the second time Microsoft has had a major issue with a new feature update for Windows 10, the first of which happened earlier this year with the April 2018 Update, which resulted in a three week delay.
https://www.windowscentral.com/micr...10-october-2018-update-users-files-go-missing

I've not lost my documents folder, though it is mapped to a separate drive, whether nor not that makes a difference I do not know.

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
It's amazing how they had this same problem with the April update, but still haven't fixed it after all these months.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, that's not a small problem :eek:. Holding off it is then. Thanks for the heads up.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
w09afpzxuoq11.png

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In Win 10 I've disabled automatic updates and haven't had any notifications about this one so I'm observing with interest, as they say.

Losing files and folders doesn't sound good.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
The trumpeting fanfare.

Windows 10 update: Best new features Microsoft is bringing to your PC

Microsoft is is due to release a significant update to Windows 10 next month, bringing a host of new features to your PC.

Cloud clipboard across devices + Swiftkey keyboard
One of the most significant new updates comes in the form of a cloud-powered clipboard which syncs between devices. By pressing the Windows key+V, a history of what’s been copied and pasted across your PCs pop up for easy cross-platform synchronisation.

This will be greatly enhanced when Microsoft adds support for its Swiftkey keyboard in the near future, which will enable copy and pasting between phones (including iPhones), tablets and PCs.

The reality.

Microsoft Warns Windows 10 Has A Serious Problem

Although Microsoft introduced new Windows 10 monthly charges, that has not improved the quality of its updates. In fact, Microsoft has just warned all Windows 10 users that its latest upgrade may permanently delete their personal data…

worse still, it turns out this should’ve been preventable.

For its part, Microsoft confirmed the news saying:

“We have paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigate isolated reports of users missing some files after updating.”

Of course, Microsoft’s terminology differs drastically from the real world reports of others:

“Windows 1809 update wiped my documents. So after updating, I discovered that my documents, pictures, music, videos are gone. Wtf?”

:lol:

Oh and V_R,

“I lost my Document folder. It is not configured as a documents library and it's not even in system drive! I do not have backup for this because I think the system upgrade should never ever touch [a] non-system drive.” -

Perhaps the worst part about all this is it turns out Windows Insiders had been warning Microsoft about this for months.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 who did not upgrade are likely to feel vindicated Gordon Kelly

Unfortunately, the reports were either lost or ignored. Something which has prompted even the most ardent Microsoft fans to attack the company.

:eek:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Oh, easy target I know but I noted:

Microsoft said '...isolated cases...'

And from the news report: '...even the most ardent Microsoft fans attacked the company...'

Maybe Bill Gates should come out of retirement :lol:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Oh, easy target I know but I noted:

Microsoft said '...isolated cases...'

And from the news report: '...even the most ardent Microsoft fans attacked the company...'

Maybe Bill Gates should come out of retirement :lol:

Even Bill Gates could not save this dying dinosaur.

You have to laugh at the new features this update brings, apart from the disappearing docs that is.

New emoji's -- wow

A new clipping tool with three new buttons -- wow -- seems that all the new features have been around in other snipping tools for ages.

You can switch the standard colour of windows and menus from white to black -- wow they are havin a laugh ain't they.

Increase or decrease text’s size using a sliding scale -- wow

Edge browser now contains a dictionary feature -- gosh wow

:rolleyes:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New version rolling out to insiders, more details i nthe blog post below.

Last week we paused the rollout of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) for all users as we investigated isolated reports of users missing files after updating. Given the serious nature of any data loss, we took the added precaution of pulling all 1809 media across all channels, including Windows Server 2019 and IoT equivalents. We intentionally start each feature update rollout slowly, closely monitoring feedback before offering the update more broadly. In this case the update was only available to those who manually clicked on “check for updates” in Windows settings. At just two days into the rollout when we paused, the number of customers taking the October 2018 Update was limited. While the reports of actual data loss are few (one one-hundredth of one percent of version 1809 installs), any data loss is serious.

We have fully investigated all reports of data loss, identified and fixed all known issues in the update, and conducted internal validation. Also, Microsoft Support and our retail stores customer service personnel are available at no charge to help customers. More details are available below.

Today we take the next step towards the re-release of the Windows 10 October 2018 Update by providing the updated version to our Windows Insider community. We will carefully study the results, feedback, and diagnostic data from our Insiders before taking additional steps towards re-releasing more broadly.

More Information

Prior to re-releasing the October 2018 Update our engineering investigation determined that a very small number of users lost files during the October 2018 Update. This occurred if Known Folder Redirection (KFR) had been previously enabled, but files remain in the original “old” folder location vs being moved to the new, redirected location. KFR is the process of redirecting the known folders of Windows including Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc. from the default folder location, c:\users\username\<folder name>, to a new folder location. In previous feedback from the Windows 10 April 2018 Update, users with KFR reported an extra, empty copy of Known Folders on their device. Based on feedback from users, we introduced code in the October 2018 Update to remove these empty, duplicate known folders. That change, combined with another change to the update construction sequence, resulted in the deletion of the original “old” folder locations and their content, leaving only the new “active” folder intact. Accordingly, below are the issues we have identified and fixed:

• Using KFR the user redirected a known folder to a different drive. For example, suppose you ran out of space on your C drive. You want to save some files separate from your primary folder, so you add another drive to your system for these. You create “D:\documents” and change the location of the files known folder from the original “old” location c:\users\username\documents to D:\documents. In some cases, if the contents of c:\users\username\documents were not moved to D:\documents, then a user could also encounter this issue. When the October 2018 Update was installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder (in this example c:\users\username\documents would be deleted; d:\documents, the new location, would be preserved).
  • The user configured one or more of their Known Folders (Desktop, Documents, Pictures, Screenshots, Videos, Camera Roll, etc.) to be redirected (KFR) to another folder on OneDrive. For example, the user changed the location property of the documents folder from c:\users\username\documents to another folder. During this process the system prompts the user and asks if they would like to move the files to the new location. If the files were not moved and the October 2018 Update is installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder.
  • The user used an early version of the OneDrive client and used the OneDrive settings to turn on the Auto save feature. This feature turned on KFR for the Documents and/or Pictures folders based on the user’s choice but did not move the existing files from the original “old” location to the new location. For example, if a user turned on Auto Save for pictures the location of the Pictures folder would be changed from c:\users\username\pictures to c:\users\username\onedrive\pictures, but no files would be moved. The current version of this feature moves the files. If the files were not moved and the October 2018 Update was installed the original “old” folder was deleted including the files in that folder (in this example c:\users\username\pictures would be deleted; c:\users\username\onedrive\pictures, the new location, would be preserved).
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ased-to-windows-insiders/#1d3tXlBzT7L2IcoY.97

Ask a Question