Objects in PPT disappear after the animation finishes

Discussion in 'Microsoft Powerpoint' started by Joe, Jun 3, 2009.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Yeah, so I'm putting together a powerpoint for my presentation. However,
    after crafting a couple animations, I encountered a problem. After using some
    of the entrance animations, the objects coming in do not stay on the slide.
    For example, using APPEAR on one of the objects, after it appears, it
    promptly disappears. Also, this happens when using fade and compress.

    While this thoroughly perplexes me, this isn't the end. On other slides, the
    same animation does not come up with the same problem. Using appear doesn't
    cause it to disappear after the animation finishes, and similar to the other
    animations.

    I'd like to keep these objects on the slide without disappearing until I
    move onto the next slide. I'd also like to accomplish this without putting in
    another DISAPPEAR animation because that would add in another click, then
    result in an empty slide before moving on.

    I'm currently using Microsoft PowerPoint 2003.

    Joe, Jun 3, 2009

  2. Joe

    Lucy Thomson Guest

    Hi Joe

    Click on the little down arrow next to the animation of the offending
    object(s) -> effect options -> check that 'after animation' is set to 'don't
    dim.

    You don't need to have objects disappear between slides (unless you want
    them to) - just transition to the next one.

    Lucy

    --
    Lucy Thomson
    PowerPoint MVP

    Lucy Thomson, Jun 4, 2009

  3. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Yeah, I have already tried that. The "after animation" is set to "don't dim"
    and it still disappears after the animation has ended. I have come up with a
    temporary solution, running a secondary animation that changes the font of a
    word on the slide to the font it is already set at. However, I'd like to find
    a more permanent solution.

    Joe, Jun 4, 2009
  4. Joe

    Lucy Thomson Guest

    Hmmm. Do you have auto transitions set? Is this happening when using the
    preview button in edit mode and/or in slide show mode? What else is on the
    slide & do they also have animations?

    Lucy

    Lucy Thomson, Jun 4, 2009
  5. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Yeah, on one of the slide, there is a text box that has no animation. It
    also has a title that does not have any animation. The object that has
    animation is a copy-pasted picture that has a fade animation. This animation
    disappears after the animation finishes.

    On another slide, there is a title and text box that has no animation. The
    object on this slide that has an animation is a copy-pasted picture that also
    has a fade animation. However, this animation does not disappear after the
    animation finishes.

    On another slide, there are 3 pictures on top of each other, along with a
    title. On click, the first picture shows up, and on the 2nd click, the first
    picture disappears(set by my animation) and the 2nd picture shows up via
    "Diamond," and on 3rd click, a 3rd picture shows up via "Appear" and the 2nd
    picture disappears(set by my animation). After the 3rd click and the
    animation finishes, the final picture disappears.

    I also don't have auto transitions set. There are no slide transitions
    either, and it happens both during the preview and in slide show mode.

    Joe, Jun 4, 2009
  6. Joe

    Lucy Thomson Guest

    Great Joe, thanks for the update.

    Firstly, I would advise against copy/pasting pictures into PowerPoint, but
    instead use the 'insert -> picture -> from file' method. This is
    particularly true for pics from the internet - you can right click them and
    'save picture as' in most (if not all) browsers.

    Have you tried recreating the slide from scratch? Does the picture behave in
    the same way? Have you tried adding another different picture to the naughty
    slide? Does it behave the same way? It might be worth round tripping it:
    HTML "Round-tripping" to repair corruption
    http://www.pptfaq.com/FAQ00526.htm

    If none of that works, feel free to send me the slide and I'll see if I can
    spot what is wrong. lucyATaneasiertomorrowDOTcomDOTau (make the obvious
    changes :))

    Lucy

    Lucy Thomson, Jun 5, 2009
  7. Joe

    SH in Sea

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2010
    Likes Received:
    0
    Same Problem - no solution

    Lucy,

    I have had the same problem. I even tried the HTML and back conversion with the exact same result. It is really annoying (at the end of some slides, but not others, the animated objects all disappear). I have a feeling some slides were copied from an earlier (? Mac) version of Powerpoint and a feature cannot be turned off. Any further ideas? I have tried copying and pasting contents into new presentations, new slides, etc. Al make no difference.

    SH in Sea, Sep 16, 2010
  8. Joe

    Rewrite

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2010
    Likes Received:
    0
    Me 2

    Lucy,

    I am also using PP 2003 and experiencing the same problem with one of my slides. I have 'do not fade' selected, I do not have automatic transitions, and I do not have 'rewind after playback' selected. I tried selecting and deselecting to no avail.
    Help! :confused:

    Rewrite, Oct 6, 2010
  9. Joe

    Tony Waisanen

    Joined:
    Nov 8, 2010
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had experienced similar symptoms; on some slides, when the last animated object finished its animation, all other animated objects on that slide disappeared. Also of interest:
    1. This behavior did not occur on the other slides I'd animated yesterday;
    2. All animated objects I added today would disappear when the animations finished, even though I was using Insert > Picture.
    3. I was unsuccessful using the "round trip" approach suggested elsewhere.

    What had changed?
    This morning, I'd added some (perhaps 4) graphics by clicking/dragging. I'd also added about 3 using copy/paste.

    When I had removed ALL the graphics added after the first image I'd added today (so all graphics had been added using Insert > Picture), I could add graphics via Insert > Picture, animate the pictures, and they'd remain displayed.

    I apologize in advance for offering only a work-around that worked for me and for not having an explanation or definitive tests.

    Tony Waisanen, Nov 8, 2010
  10. Joe

    Sanulchik

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2011
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, it might be too late, but... the problem with the order of imported images. First imported picture always stays.

    Sanulchik, Aug 9, 2011
  11. Joe

    cracks

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
    Likes Received:
    0
    Has anyone actually found a resolution to this problem? I've received a template power point presentation that I must use for my presentation. I think the template came from an earlier version of PowerPoint. I am using 2007. Immediately after my animated text appears (the last bullet) all the text disappears. I've resorted to inserting a dummy text field off to the side of the slide, but this forces a second click to advance the slide and the first click still removed my text. What a PAIN!!!

    Help...:(

    cracks, Oct 13, 2011
  12. Joe

    Bob Draper

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2012
    Likes Received:
    0
    I know that this is an old thread but as I think I know the problem I decided to post a solution. I am using PP2010. I find, like everyone else, that quite at random the animated object will disappear after animating. Some do some don't. I believe that this is not the user's fault. It is yet another bug in PowerPoint. It seems to occur most often if you alter the animation in some way. The solution is to clear the animation and reapply. In PP2010 click the 'Animation Pane' button which is right of the 'Add Animation' button. Click on the number next (upper LHS) to the object which is causing a problem. In the animation pane click the down arrow next to this object. (It should be highlighted.) Now click remove animation. Finally reapply as required.

    Bob Draper, Nov 13, 2012
  13. Joe

    MajesticLion

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2017
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am experiencing the same problem in pp 2016... I tried Bob Draper's solution, still have the problem. Any suggestions?

    MajesticLion, Jan 7, 2017
  14. Joe

    Mikejay

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2017
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have been having the same issue, as well. I have the latest version of PowerPoint. The only solution is to remove all the animations from the slide and then create them again. It fixes the problem.

    So, I have to create the animation set twice. I create it once, do a test run, then all the bulletted items disappear as soon as the last item displays. Redoing the last item does not fix the issue. I have to remove all the separate animations (via the animation pane) then create them again and do another test run. Then everything works.

    What a pane (pun intended).

    Mikejay, Apr 27, 2017