O.T. - Surge Protectors

philo

Buffalo said:
"philo " wrote in message news:[email protected]...
On 03/06/2014 11:30 AM, Buffalo wrote: []
replacement batteries for APC UPSs?
Buying them from APC is very expensive. I even thought of buying a
small
12v lead acid battery and just have it next to my UPS and connect it
with some homemade wires. :(
[]
Thanks, for your input. I just ordered a PowerStar battery off E-bay
with free Shipping.
I decided to buy one that is sealed (SLA) and not screw around anymore.

I'm slightly puzzled: here in UK, the only moderate-capacity lead-acid
batteries widely available (and that not very, mainly from Maplin) _are_
the sealed sort; are small car-battery-like (non-sealed) batteries
commonly available in USA?

Here in the US the smaller batteries are indeed the sealed variety.

VLRA is used for safety

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA_battery

J. P. Gilliver (John)

BillW50 <[email protected]> said:
In J. P. Gilliver (John) typed:

Yes, quite popular for riding lawnmowers and such.
Ah, those aren't that common here!

`A device called a transistor, which has several applications in radio where a
vacuum tube ordinarily is employed, was demonstrated yesterday.' - small
article
on an inside page of The New York Times, December 1947 (Computing 1999-12-16)