ntoskrnl.exe & shell32.dll query

Reaction score
Hi...this is my first post so please be patient with me. I use AVG free version on Windows XP and when I do the scan it always brings up ntosknrl.exe and shell32.dll as 'changed'. Do I need to do anything or not? Is it serious or not? It says 'no threats found' so I'm presuming it isn't serious but I'd be very grateful for any info on what they mean and what I should do with them. I know they are part of Microsoft Windows but don't know exactly what.

Thanks in advance and best wishes to everyone...Liz

Reaction score
Hi Lizzy :wave: :wave:

Welcome to the forum..
AVG has a habit of returning false positives when scanning, so there is no need to worry about it or do anything..
If you are still unsure try running another anti-virus along side AVG and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hi

Thanks for your ver yquick reply. I feel reassured now but I will try running another AV program and see what happens.

Liz

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
AVG has a habit of returning false positives when scanning
It's not a false positive ;) . It reports it as being changed, not as an infection so it can't be a false positive :) .

Those files are constantly being updated by Windows updates, etc so AVG is actually doing it's job by indicating that the file has changed :) .

If it reported it as "infected" instead of "changed" then you have a problem.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's also wise not to run two AV programs back to back as they often clash.

Just the one AV prog is recommended.

Not to be confused with running one AV program and several Adware prevention/detection programs together.

If you're not happy with AVG try Antivir free version, it's generally considered to be better.

Ask a Question