NTLDR is missing, Press CTRL + ALT + DELETE to restart.

G

Hello,
I have a problem when I start to boot my computer using XP home. A message comes up saying "NTLDR is missing, press ctrl + alt+ delete to restart

Have tried solution where you boot from CD, access the Repair console, chose system to boot from and tried to copy the ntldr file from the CD to the C:\, however a message comes us saying "access is denied" I have correctly entered my administrator password

When trying to copy the ntdetect.com file from CD, it states that the file cannot be found. I have used the correct drive letter, but the solution does not work

Any help appreciated

Ben

G

Goran

Hi,

If WinXP will not start, it may be due to a damaged boot sector or a missing
or corrupt ntldr or ntdetect.com files. If there is a specific error message
"NTLDR is missing", you need to replace the file. To replace, access the
recovery console and enter:
1. Copy X:\i386\NTLDR C: (X is your CD ROM drive letter)
2. Copy X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C:

/Goran

Benting88 said:
Hello,
I have a problem when I start to boot my computer using XP home. A
message comes up saying "NTLDR is missing, press ctrl + alt+ delete to
restart.
Have tried solution where you boot from CD, access the Repair console,
chose system to boot from and tried to copy the ntldr file from the CD to
the C:\, however a message comes us saying "access is denied" I have
correctly entered my administrator password.
When trying to copy the ntdetect.com file from CD, it states that the file
cannot be found. I have used the correct drive letter, but the solution
does not work.

R

roger

hi,

When you're in the recovery console, try typing:
set AllowAllPaths = TRUE
set AllowRemovableMedia = TRUE
(Note the spaces on both sides of the equal sign)

If it doesn't work, it may be that it needs a snap-in that is added
from within Windows, check this:

310497 - HOW TO: Add More Power to Recovery Console By Using Group
Policy in Windows XP Professional
This step-by-step article describes how to use Group Policy to add
more power to the Recovery Console. Windows XP provides a Group Policy
that lets you add power to the commands that are available in the
Recovery Console. Under normal conditions, the...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310497

Good luck

Reaction score
Xp

Heyy My name is Maria. I'm totally new to this place and I experienced the sam eproblem with my PC. Actually it all started by not booting up with the blue screen for Unmountable Boot Volume. Then I searched online and I fixed it. Right after I fixed it about 30 minutes later it shut down and said that NTLDR is missing press CTRL+ALT+DEL to Restart. Then I did. And actually I went to recovery console using the Windows XP prefessional SP2. And it didnt work and because I was really unpatient I tried something new. I didnt actually know what I was doing and I opened recovery console and I agreed to delete every file and have a new volume. So then it did the installation and I had most of my important files lost. Then the installation completed and once it restarted the screen said Please Wait.. I waited over 3 minutes and again because of my patience I restarted the computer. The internet ddidnt work in it. It didnt even open, when I clicked on internet Explorer it was like please save like a saving file. So anyways I repaired it without knowing the installation wouldnt work because of the internet. Now I am trapped. Looking for ways to find it I cant. Please tell me what to do. And by now whan I restart the computer it says that "NTLDR is missing ans press ...." PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU:(

Ask a Question