not responding

Roberto de Corneille

When I open News from within Outlook I have started getting the "not
responding" msg, nothing works [mouse, ctrl alt del etc]machine is
locked up,
this has just started hapening since I finaly activated two days ago.
After several second I regain control of the machine and News will
open, closing News and/reopening works as one would expect, nothing else is
amiss - just opening News first time.

Running Vista Business on Domain with SBS2003 SP2, Gigabyte MoBo /AMD
Dual Core 4200, 7600GT graphics card and 1GB RAM, any help appreciated.
rgds
Roberto

Roady [MVP]

Since "News" does nothing more than launching your default newsreader it is
not really clear which application is "not responding." Does Outlook give
you this error or your default newsreader? Also; what is your default
newsreader?

Roberto de Corneille

Roady said:
Since "News" does nothing more than launching your default newsreader it
is not really clear which application is "not responding." Does Outlook
give you this error or your default newsreader? Also; what is your default
newsreader?

I am using the default News reader that come with Windows Mail, the
"not responding" msg appears in the active window [Windows News reader]
HTH

rgds
Roberto

--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----

Roberto de Corneille said:
When I open News from within Outlook I have started getting the "not
responding" msg, nothing works [mouse, ctrl alt del etc]machine is
locked up,
this has just started hapening since I finaly activated two days ago.
After several second I regain control of the machine and News will
open, closing News and/reopening works as one would expect, nothing else
is
amiss - just opening News first time.

Running Vista Business on Domain with SBS2003 SP2, Gigabyte MoBo /AMD
Dual Core 4200, 7600GT graphics card and 1GB RAM, any help
appreciated.
rgds
Roberto

Roady [MVP]

"The "not responding" msg appears in the active window [Windows News
reader]"
Which would suggest that this isn't an Outlook issue.

Anyway;
Windows Mail could be slow to load when subscribed to a lot of newsgroups
and mainly on initial loading. If it hangs for over 2 or 3 minutes you might
want to ask for a solution on this in the Windows Mail newsgroup.

--

Roberto de Corneille said:
When I open News from within Outlook I have started getting the "not
responding" msg, nothing works [mouse, ctrl alt del etc]machine is
locked up,
this has just started hapening since I finaly activated two days ago.
After several second I regain control of the machine and News will
open, closing News and/reopening works as one would expect, nothing
else is
amiss - just opening News first time.

Running Vista Business on Domain with SBS2003 SP2, Gigabyte MoBo /AMD
Dual Core 4200, 7600GT graphics card and 1GB RAM, any help
appreciated.
rgds
Roberto

Roberto de Corneille

Roady said:
"The "not responding" msg appears in the active window [Windows News
reader]"
Which would suggest that this isn't an Outlook issue.

Anyway;
Windows Mail could be slow to load when subscribed to a lot of newsgroups
and mainly on initial loading. If it hangs for over 2 or 3 minutes you
might want to ask for a solution on this in the Windows Mail newsgroup.

Well
I went there first, and was told it was an Outlook problem .........
rgds
Roberto
--

http://www.howto-outlook.com/

-----

When I open News from within Outlook I have started getting the
"not
responding" msg, nothing works [mouse, ctrl alt del etc]machine is
locked up,
this has just started hapening since I finaly activated two days
ago.
After several second I regain control of the machine and News
will
open, closing News and/reopening works as one would expect, nothing
else is
amiss - just opening News first time.

Running Vista Business on Domain with SBS2003 SP2, Gigabyte MoBo /AMD
Dual Core 4200, 7600GT graphics card and 1GB RAM, any help
appreciated.
rgds
Roberto

Roady [MVP]

If you load Windows Mail and configure it to start directly in the newsgroup
does it load faster then?

Still; it is Windows Mail that hangs and not Outlook.

--

Roberto de Corneille said:
Roady said:
"The "not responding" msg appears in the active window [Windows News
reader]"
Which would suggest that this isn't an Outlook issue.

Anyway;
Windows Mail could be slow to load when subscribed to a lot of newsgroups
and mainly on initial loading. If it hangs for over 2 or 3 minutes you
might want to ask for a solution on this in the Windows Mail newsgroup.

Well
I went there first, and was told it was an Outlook problem .........
rgds
Roberto
--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----

Roberto de Corneille said:
in message Since "News" does nothing more than launching your default newsreader
[...]

Roberto

Roady said:
If you load Windows Mail and configure it to start directly in the
newsgroup does it load faster then?

Still; it is Windows Mail that hangs and not Outlook.

Robert
Thanks for your input, it isn't simply that News takes a long time to
load, rather opening Windows News hangs/locks up the machine for 15-20
seconds.
During this time nothing works.
I saw a similar issue years ago with Win95 and McAffee AV, it overwrote a
Windows DLL with it's own version, replacing the correct DLL fixed it.
Incidently I don't see this issue on this Notebook [XP PRO] so I believe
it could be specifically a Vista issue if Windows Mail is realy the same
ap as Outlook Express News reader ?. Could someone confirm this.

rgds
Roberto
-----

"Roady [MVP]" <newsgroups_DELETE_@_DELETE_sparnaaij_NO_._SPAM_net>
wrote in message
[...]

Roady [MVP]

There is a special Windows Mail newsgroup for this where they might be able
to help you further.
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

--

Roberto said:
Roady said:
[...]

Roberto de Corneille said:
in message "The "not responding" msg appears in the active window [Windows
News reader]"

wrote in message
[...]

Roberto de Corneille

Roady said:
There is a special Windows Mail newsgroup for this where they might be
able to help you further.
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Been there done that first up as it seemed to be the logial choice[they
reckond it was an Oulook problem] tired of being shuffled from desk to
desk, will keep researching hopefully for a solution, if I do I'll be
sure to post it for others benefit.
Thanks for your interest though Robert - have a good one
rgds
Roberto
--

wrote in message
[...]

Roberto de Corneille

Roberto de Corneille said:
Roady said:
There is a special Windows Mail newsgroup for this where they might be
able to help you further.
microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail

Been there done that first up as it seemed to be the logial
choice[they reckond it was an Oulook problem] tired of being shuffled
from desk to desk, will keep researching hopefully for a solution, if
I do I'll be sure to post it for others benefit.
Thanks for your interest though Robert - have a good one
rgds
Roberto

The Outlook Express boys had the answer, see here
http://www.oehelp.com/WMUtil/Default.aspx

WMutil fixed the problem, by removing zero byte entries and compacting
the data base

rgds
Roberto

in message If you load Windows Mail and configure it to start directly in the

wrote in message
[...]

Roberto

Roady said:
Good to hear and thanks for posting back the solution to the issue. Guess
the OE and Windows Mail folk were wrong to send you here ;-)

Maybe they were having a slack day .....
anyway kudos to mikey for the fix

thread closed

rgds
Roberto
--
Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]

-----

Roberto de Corneille said:
in message There is a special Windows Mail newsgroup for this where they might be