not recognizing on line with aol dsl line

G

My IE6 suddenly will not recognize that it is on line and will not work. I have aol dsl line. The very strange thing is my lap top which works fine at my office, develops the same problem when I use it at home with my dsl line. I have tried everything. AOL tells me it is a microsoft problem, microsoft tells me to contact aol. I have tried deleating and re installing-no help. My aol works fine except those instances when it needs the explorer browser. In addition, my IM does not work either at home but does at my office (different internet access

YOUR HELP APPRECIATED.

G

I've experienced this problem on two different computers. In both cases, it had to do with the selected sign on location, and the sign on options associated with that selection. The options vary from version to version, and they have made some changes lately, so it is hard for me to be specific. If you are using a router (which was the case in both cases I encountered), then the appropriate sign on option is Home Network or ISP/LAN. You should not select DSL. You also need to verify the sign on options associated with the location, and the locations are just names and can be anything you want

The following pertains to AOL 9.0

1) select the location that you think is correct if you have more than one location

2) select Sing On Option

3) select Expert Setu

4) click the + in front of the location name. I only have one location. If you have multiple locations, I think they may all be listed, so make sure you select the + in front of the correct location

5) look at Devices under Broadband Connectivity. If more than one device is listed, go down to Order Devices are Used and verify that they are in the proper order. If not, you can change the order or delete unused devices.

6) If you aren't sure about settings, select Add Device, Manually Add Connection Device, and then look at the list of options. Like I said, if you are using a router, Home Network is the correct selection. If not, then the correct selection is probably AOL Broadband with DSL

Hope this helps (and makes sense). If not, reply and I'll try to clarify.

G

Glad to hear it. I stumbled on the solution purely by accident with my father's computer. He called me and told me IE wasn't working, so I went over there, and scratched my head for nearly an hour before I noticed that his location said something about AOL Autofix. When I looked at the details, I noticed it had him hooked up directly to the DSL modem. As soon as I switched it back to Home Network, everything worked

Kyle - NOT a genius - just lucky

Ask a Question