Windows XP Norton v's Free

Reaction score
Hey,

My Norton has expired and i was going to just pay the subscription, but im not sure whether im better to use a free one. Are there any good free antivirus applications and how do you go about getting them.

Thanks.

Bodhi

Reaction score
Thanks VR, that looks quite helpful, if also quite daunting.

Do any of them do the whole works like Norton does, i.e. anti virus/firewall/spyware etc, i dont know if i can be bothered downloading an antivirus one as well as a firewall etc etc.

Cheers.

Bodhi.

Reaction score
Why trust only one company with all of those different functions? what if they are not as good as another? your best bet is to distribute functions between multiple programs. Personally I use AVG Free, AVG AntiSpyware, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, Windows Defender. If you put all your eggs in one basket and the basket has a hole your gonna break a few eggs. Besides all the software i just listed is totally free, and they won't slow down your computer anywhere near as much as Norton does. As far as firewalls go just enable windows firewall, it is functional but won't protect you 100% from getting tracking cookies and stuff but thats why you have windows defender and spybot s&d and all the rest.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In my humble opion Nortons is the biggest pile of doggy-do ever to be unleashed to a gullible public.

Fancy looking inflated bloatware that gives the impression it's doing good but in fact is inferior to some free products and slows your computer down by using lots of resources.

Around a year ago, I done a clean install for my mate, installed Antivir, AdawareSE & Spybot S & D. A month of two later he complained it was running slow. When I visited he'd installed Nortons, paid £40.00 for it as well.

I said 'Why did you install Nortons'

He replied 'Cos it looks good'

I told him to sort it out himself, I'd warned him many times not to install that crap.

I never will understand why people actually want to throw money away. If you insist on spending money, go Kaspersky or NOD 32.

Reaction score
OK, if i use the windows firewall with Antivir and Adaware SE i should be pretty safe then with more resources??

I already use Adaware SE and obviously i can use the windows firewall, and i guess just google Antivir?

Is the windows firewall as good as norton? Im slightly concerned about not having a dedicated firewall?!! :-/

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
OK, if i use the windows firewall with Antivir and Adaware SE i should be pretty safe then with more resources??

I already use Adaware SE and obviously i can use the windows firewall, and i guess just google Antivir?

Is the windows firewall as good as norton? Im slightly concerned about not having a dedicated firewall?!!
AntiVir is in that thread i linked to Bodhi. :thumb:
I use AntiVir with Kerio Personal Firewall (also in that thread), makes a good combo. :D

For spyware i use Windows Defender, Spywareblaster for real time protection.
AVG Antispy, Spybot, and A-Squared for scanning each week etc.
All can be found in that same thread. (Thats what its there for) ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I was using Norton for ages but just upgraded my broadband speed to 4 meg on Virgin Media as one of thier special offers made it too good to miss,as part of the upgrade i got PC Guard Virgins own anti virus firewall and anti spy ware suite,i uninstaled Norton and ran a scan with PC Guard and it found 6 virus on my pc,one was a sasser virus some were back door trojans,my Norton was updated regularly and i ran it very often,to say i am unimpressed with Norton is an understatement.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
bodhi said:

Is the windows firewall as good as norton? Im slightly concerned about not having a dedicated firewall?!! :-/

If your using the Windows Firewall you may want to test it . The 2 sites below may give you some usefull info on your firewalls effectivness .

http://epsilon.hackerwhacker.com/freetools.php

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

and this oldish review may help you decide if you really need a firewall . Read the first page and then skip to the conclusions .

http://www.sysopt.com/features/network/article.php/3533031

laughingsmiley.gif
:D

Ask a Question