Free v's Paid protection

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i (am not the only one) use Anti-Vir. Its free and a damm sight better than Nortons. :)

I used to run a paid for Mcafee av suite until the sub ran out. This is way better, better protection, less hassle and it dont use a shed load of ram either, Only two running process' in Task Manager. :thumb:

You got a firewall? Keiro is free and good...

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"You get what you pay for"

That can be quite misleading when it comes to software, especially protection against nasties.

I have read that 'newsletter' before, and I agree with it in parts ... free is better than nothing at all, even MS's firewall is better than non, but it is a joke, you do yourself no favours using it on it's own.

Even ZA's free firewall has it's shortcomings, not for me thank you. The New kid on the block is Comodo Personal Firewall, free, does a better job than ZA Free, in my humble opinion. Yes, I'm using it now. ;)

Sunbelt has purchased and re-branded the Kerio product. Don't you just hate it when that happens?

There are several AV 'paid for' I will trust today ... KAV, NOD32 and F-Secure ... they all offer an AV/Firewall version with added extras. For a free AV, Anti-Vir is good.

user.gif

Reaction score
So what was your recommendation Mr Mucks? I am thinking of just paying the year for Norton, cause although you guys slate it, its easy. I have never had any "nasties" since having it. But i would save £30 if i could be sure i could easily and safely use something else. You have until midnight to advice. Haha, only kidding, im sure it will be expired for a few days, it still works, just doesnt update.

Reaction score
AntiVir or AVG:thumb:
Norton hogs the PC resources to much!
Listen to the voice of experience in Muckshifter on this:nod:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I could think of a lot better things to with thirty quid.

You got your head up yer jacksie Bodhi? Have you not read any of what's going down with Norton here and at many other websites worldwide?

Norton is crap. Full stop. Anti-vir works and it's free. Only bugbear is the auto-update (always seems to happen in the middle of CoD online, lol) but I can put up with that for free.

You know the score and it's your money. People, some of whom I had considered sensible, never cease to amaze me ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS: You may wonder why some products are free.

You will notice, with all of them, there is a superior, and often other, products for sale from the supplier of the free software.

By letting a lite version go for free, the software compiler gets feedback, lots of feedback. They know if their product's working and where it isn't they amend it. Basically, they got millions of Beta testers out there so they can constantly hone their product.

That's why it's free.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
&, I know there's always exceptions, but as a general rule the big companies tend to employ the cheapest programmers they can get (NB: this doesn't necessarily mean 'the 'worst' there are many high quality programers who work or start out working the 'sweat shops' we all have to make a living), many of whom are underpaid, hate their jobs &/or the company, & who have no vested interest in producing a quality product.
Many of them really only produce their top quality work when they are working on personal projects for personal motivations & this is often the stuff you will find out there as freeware.
Again, this is not an unqualified endorsement of all freeware either.
Just that, as mucks said. You get what you pay for really doesn't apply here.
Buyer beware.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
There are several AV 'paid for' I will trust today ... KAV, NOD32 and F-Secure ... they all offer an AV/Firewall version with added extras. For a free AV, Anti-Vir is good.
Hmmm, did I write that?

I give up ... please yourselves ...
happywave.gif

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
norton really is crap, i took it off my old PC and put antivir on and use my routers built in firewall instead, boot up times are a lot quicker as is the opening of files and programs

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You know the score and it's your money. People, some of whom I had considered sensible, never cease to amaze me ;)

Haha, did you really think i was sensible floppy? Havn't you read any of my posts?? ;)

Ask a Question