Windows XP Free antivirus spftware

Reaction score
Norton subscription due to expire in next few days, dont want to renew as will be computerless for a couple of months while travelling, but to tide me over whats the consensus on a good free package - is AVP(?) still the recommended one?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I personally like AVG a lot now, but other popular options are Avast and AntiVir - any of them are better than nothing, but I think AntiVir is supposedly the best at the moment.

http://www.free-av.com/

I'd use any of them over Norton to be honest ;)

Reaction score
I agree, delete Norton, its slow, taxes your pc's resources, expensive, no one should use it. Everyone should use AVGfree from free.grisoft.com also, you might try out avg antispywre from the same page.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
DigitalDoctorTech01 said:
I agree, delete Norton, its slow, taxes your pc's resources, expensive, no one should use it. Everyone should use AVGfree from free.grisoft.com also, you might try out avg antispywre from the same page.
I disagree, AVG while a good simple AV program, is very bad at detecting today's more common annoyances such as Trojans, Worms & maleware.

If you want free, then Anti-Vir is the one to go for. ;)

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
AVG while a good simple AV program, is very bad at detecting today's more common annoyances such as Trojans, Worms & maleware.
True, but that's why you have anti-malware programs ;) . No antivirus program is going to detect or remove all of the malware that's out there. It would be nice, but I don't think it'll ever happen.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I disagree, AVG while a good simple AV program, is very bad at detecting today's more common annoyances such as Trojans, Worms & maleware.

If you want free, then Anti-Vir is the one to go for. ;)

AVG free does in fact remove the latest, most common, popular and harmful Trojans, Worms, and Malware(the correct spelling!)
Please do not mix opinions with facts.
Just make sure you update daily, AVG free usually has daily updates. Use the latest version - 7.5.
If you find that another free virus app works better for you then that's just fine, but I have been personally using AVG Free along with AVG Anti-Spyware, AdAware, Spybot S&D, and Windows Defender for the last year on my system and have not had any problems, as opposed to when I used Norton and had to reformat every 3 mos. it seemed! Just be sure to get all the microsoft updates as well!

Last edited:

ede

Reaction score
Now my 2 cents worth... AVG is a very good program and I have not had any problems with it for over 2 years now, just do the upgrades & updates. The anti-spyware is good to. Almost anything is better then Norton, I wouldn't use it if it was free!!!!!!!!!

Ask a Question