Northerners Should Move South

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By Flops
Rush, I'm gonna buy you a pint one day, lol ;)

Hope its in the North ...its cheaper :wave:

Even though he`s a southerner .... :)
happywave.gif
I win lol lol

Last edited:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I think the North/South divide is mostly just friendly joshing,

Of course it is. :thumb: I know lots of good people and know many interesting places from the other end of the country. Every time I meet my southern friends we josh about north and south. No harm is ever done. :nod:

One of my old pals from London now lives in Montrose so now I'm the southerner. :confused: It still raises many a smile.

Joshing about things like this makes it much less likely that there will ever be any serious problems. We're all Brits together (except, of course, those from the SOUTHERN hemisphere ;) )

Reaction score
Rush said:
By psd
Yes Mate

But when does the banter end up in fighting ???

It does not always have to, but I think friendly and cocky banter is the best.

All this talk about the south and north, whatever happened to the MIDDLE? Anyone bigging up the Midlands?

Reaction score
No wonder england is in a mess from the people in goverment.

Where are they downsouth of course.

My choice i would,nt live downsouth with the crime rate sky high.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
nivrip said:
Joshing about things like this makes it much less likely that there will ever be any serious problems. We're all Brits together (except, of course, those from the SOUTHERN hemisphere ;) )

We might not be British, but we still have that North / South divide lol
All those yuppies sunning it up North in Auckland
or Down here there's the 'Staunch' "Southern Man" out on his horse, riding the highcountry, swigging speights & shagging, oops I mean shearing sheep.
laughingsmiley.gif

"She'll be right mate" ;)

edit: btw, "the strait" in the song means Cook strait. Guess we do have a dividing line down here lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
What an interesting thread this be:nod:

The comments [some] are :lol: :lol:. Glad I am British.....:wave:
Down! boy Down!;)

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
lol indeed :lol:

Song makes me a bit homesick
most of the shots are in Central Otago, the area where I grew up :)
Used to cycle out to Earscleugh Station (Station... Ummmm... sort of like a farm only tends to include a couple of mountains) & ride the stock horses each weekend :)
But now I'm a city (*cough* medium-small town by British standards I believe) Girl and happy in Dunedin :)
Still a Southerner though lol.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Best attractions - northern?

Without wanting to stir up a Hornets nest the South has Thorpe Park and Chessington World of Adventures, Legoland, The Eden Project and I won't even try to list all of London's attractions.

Your right as you say "Best attractions-northern"

We got The Lake District and The Peak District along with Snowdonia and they are all free. An although it does not interest me us northerners have had the best football teams for the last 40 or 50 years.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I wonder how we would all act if we all met up. I wonder if us southerners would stick together just like you northern lot.

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Interseting question actually.
Down Here, well,
down south, because most of the hardships are physical & the primary 'adversary' is the elements then the 'number 8 fence wire' (make-do) & 'she'll be right mate' (we'll sort it) attitides are very strong.
Up North, however, is where both the greatest amount of money & the most appalling poverty are. Up there the primary adversary is man, & asides from your own mates, attitudes are very competitive & 'market driven'.
But, put us in a time of adversity then Kiwi's will pull together absolutely, where'ver they're from.

Now, that's a question I hadn't thought off before.
Why is the poverty so much more appalling up there than down here (& it is)
When, if you're out of a job, you recieve the same benefit wherever you are?
& when recession strikes, and we are heading into one now,
Then the South is generally the hardest hit, jobwise, given our population distribution.
(Already all of the main manufacturers down here have closed, moving North or overseas and, many of the medium sized businesses are being bought out by Auckland companies & then closed down because the profit margins are not high enough)
Accomodation in the wealthy areas of Auckland is much more expensive.
But 'council houses' run at a set rent nationwide.
Given transport costs food prices tend to be higher in the more isolated areas of the south
But all around the cost of living is pretty similar
The easy answer is that the drug & alchohol culture is much more prevalent up there
but it's hard to say how much that is a cause & how much an effect.
I wonder just how much it might all relate to your question psd?
You've started me thinking now.

Reaction score
psd99 said:
I wonder how we would all act if we all met up. I wonder if us southerners would stick together just like you northern lot.

I think we would all get on quite well..We already do on here..

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
I would expect that we would, since we know & relate to each other as individuals rather than stereotypes.

You's me mates :) I've known a lot of you quite a while now :) & am probably closer to some of you than to any of my RL friends. Even if I haven't been able to get on here much this last year :(

I'd love to be able to get up there some day for a 'get together' type thing.

(sorry psd... I got distracted by socio-ecconomics :blush: )

Reaction score
No worries Cirianz well it is very interesting all of this. I wonder what kind of other interesting correlations there would be between the north and south. :)

Ask a Question