If you could live anywhere in the UK?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Bit of a random question!

If you could live anywhere in the UK, where would you pick? Assuming you've got unlimited funds to buy anywhere, as the aim is to pick an area rather than a particularly large mansion/estate!

We've got members all over the UK, so it will be interesting to see if you'd still live where you do now.

I'm originally from Newcastle, now living in Manchester, and I'd probably pick the areas around 20-30 mins south of Manchester. The reason being is that it's still really close to the city centre for events, but next to fantastic countryside.

I'm reasonably familiar with most areas of the UK (except Cornwall, NI and South Wales), but as much as I'd like to live in London for 5-10 years, I can't imagine I'd settle down there permanently.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Oh, I already came back to the town I would like to live in. If I could just afford the house for sale down the road, that would perfect. :D

Reaction score
Close too my son would be nice

I live approx 45miles away so for me to get him bring him back then take him home is just short of 180miles every week. With the cost of petrol still increasing and being unemployed i'm finding it very difficult at the moment.

So a move to somewhere a little more rural would be nice out of the traffic and noise

St George or Bodelwydden which is about 10mins from his house

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
By TD
Close too my son would be nice

I live approx 45miles away so for me to get him bring him back then take him home is just short of 180miles every week. With the cost of petrol still increasing and being unemployed i'm finding it very difficult at the moment.

So a move to somewhere a little more rural would be nice out of the traffic and noise

St George or Bodelwydden which is about 10mins from his house

Thats nice :thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
As we all get older we get more and more used to where we already live. So moving somewhere else becomes more difficult. Where we already live is a place we know so well, good and bad points, and, really important, it's where all your close mates tend to be. So, it's so easy to meet up at the pub and have a chat and to meet up for other social occassions too. Moving elsewhere would mean starting again with new friends, if you're a sociable type and could make new aquaintances.

I'm very happy here in North Yorkshire. I have the North Yorks Moors on my doorstep, not too far to York, Durham and Newcastle and lots of countryside. I'm 2 hours from the Lake District, 2 hours from the Peak District, 2 and a half hours from Scotland and, by train, 2 and three quarter hours from London.

There are so many nice places in the UK but I'm not sure I'd like to live in them. Sometimes just nice to visit.

And, of course, I'm from oop North. (or have we done the North/South divide before? :D)

Reaction score
Oh if I had the choice I would move out to the Scilly Isles the town of St Mary's and the money to be able to fly back to the mainland when I wanted to. Dream away:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Blimey, what a question.

There are dozens of great places in the UK I'd like to live. Can I cheat, get super rich and have 10 homes? :D

I've lived in a few different places in my life but have always come back to my roots, must be in my blood.

So, fact is, where I am right now - Greenwich. I really am very happy here. I love the area, my friends are here and it's buzzin' As much as I apreciate the countryside I'm a city boy, the noise of trains, people yellin' out loud at night and police sirens is comforting to me. Now all I need is a partner and I'm made up ;)

My second choice would be Polperro in Cornwall or maybe Newquay.

Edinburgh is a fabulous City and I found Newcastle to be a very friendly place.

Bath, York, Whitby - and lots more places... ;)

Reaction score
Newquay!

I have to say, from my limited travels, most non-coastal (or else wealthy) areas in this country are more or less the same.

London looks like Birmingham. Birmingham looks like Coventry. Cov looks like Watford, Watford looks like Hemel, Hemel looks like Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

Housing estate, shopping centre, supermarket, housing estate seems to be the general pattern. A starbucks here, a tesco there, a phone shop here, a subway there.

The only real changes come when you move towards the coast, where local identity seems to have been protected and treasured a little more.

I'd like to live somewhere near the sea with a bit of character, but not somewhere particularly posh. I think Newquay is about right :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
A village such as North Bovey in Devon, would be nice. Or maybe one of the villages near the Forest of Dean... or deepest Pembrokeshire. :D

We would be sad to leave behind our great Dentist and Vet though. It has taken years to find the "right" ones, and probably would be pretty hard to find replacements to equal them elsewhere. ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Newquay!

I have to say, from my limited travels, most non-coastal (or else wealthy) areas in this country are more or less the same.

London looks like Birmingham. Birmingham looks like Coventry. Cov looks like Watford, Watford looks like Hemel, Hemel looks like Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

Housing estate, shopping centre, supermarket, housing estate seems to be the general pattern. A starbucks here, a tesco there, a phone shop here, a subway there.

The only real changes come when you move towards the coast, where local identity seems to have been protected and treasured a little more.

I'd like to live somewhere near the sea with a bit of character, but not somewhere particularly posh. I think Newquay is about right :D

London looks like Watford :confused:

Methinks you need some spectacles my lad ;)

We're agreed on Newquay though.

Just don't go there the week after last Uni term ends :eek:

Reaction score
A nice quiet un-named village in Somerset.:thumb:
Used to live their 20 years ago, why did I ever move!!:blush:
Would move back tomorrow if I could, quiet, rural and above all a lovely village setting.:D
All I would need is a decent 4x4 LR 110 Double-Cab for the winter months.:dance:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Close to where i am now..North Staffs..5 miles in any direction and i am in dense countryside....like flops i love the sound of sirens(300 yds from Main Nrth Staffs Hospital), really worry for anywhere else what i would do for a living...love camping so could most easily be a touring fellow, working from the caravan with my WIFI and internet enabled lappie...sweet dreams..:)

Ask a Question