Red Bull Air Race 2007, Over the Thames!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its that time of year again guys. :D

Maybe can make it third time lucky, as i didn't get tickets in the 'draw' for 2005, Then it was cancelled for bad weather in 2006 and now in 2007 it going to be hosted over the Thames Near the Dome. (Flops, this your neck of the woods isn't it?)

TICKET RELATED FAQS

Q: When is the 2007 Red Bull UK Air Race?
A: The event takes place over 2 days in 2007 – Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th July.

Saturday 28th July: Qualification
14 pilots have 2 runs (28 in total) and the 2 slowest pilots are eliminated from the event.

Sunday 29th July: Elimination Round and Finals (resulting in a final to decide the UK winner.)
The remaining 12 pilots have another run and the 4 slowest pilots are eliminated from the event.
The remaining 8 pilots enter a knock out style competition [Quarter Final, Semi Final, Consolation Final (to decide 3rd place) and the Grand Final.]

Please note that all schedules are subject to alteration.

Q: Where is this years’ event taking place?
A: The event lands in London for the first time in 2007 and will take place on the section of The Thames by The O2.

Q: Why are you using this part of The Thames?
A: There are strict UK aviation laws governing how close light aircraft can fly to crowd lines therefore we needed to find the widest part of The Thames in Central London which also offered great transport links and enough room for spectators.

Q: Do I need a ticket to watch the 2007 Red Bull UK Air Race in London?
A: Yes you do. There are a variety of tickets that you can purchase and all tickets are for individuals (rather than for vehicles as was the case for the 2005/2006 UK Air Races.)

Full details on the types of ticket and what they include can be found in the UK ticket section of this website.

Entrance to this event is strictly by ticket only and event staff will have to turn away any spectators without pre-purchased tickets.

It is not possible to see the event from any other areas than those designated by tickets so to avoid disappointment you need to buy a ticket before you come to the event or stay at home and watch the event on television.

Q: Where’s the best place to watch the event from?
A: We have two main viewing areas for this event:
1. The O2 site which is located on the South side of the River Thames
2. The Peruvian Wharf site which is located on the North Side of the Thames
(opposite The O2 site.)

Whatever ticket you buy you MUST ensure that you follow the instructions about getting to your viewing area. The event site straddles a river which will be closed to most traffic over the event weekend. The transport instructions supplied with your ticket should be followed to ensure that you arrive on the correct side of the river.

Q: How much do adult tickets cost?
A: General tickets range from £20.00 for a standing ticket on Qualification Day (Saturday 28th July) to £400.00 for Orchard Wharf Energy Station on Finals Day (Sunday 29th July.)

Site....................................Total Number.........Sat...........Sun
The O2 Standing........................13.000..................20.............30
The O2 Grandstands...................10.140 (TBC)...........40.............50
Peruvian Wharf Standing...............4,000..................20.............30
Peruvian Wharf Grandstands.........11.472..................40.............50
The Royals Aviators Lounge.............300...................40.............60
Trinity Buoy Wharf Race Club..........1500..................150...........250
Orchard Wharf Energy Station........300....................250...........400

Q: How much do children tickets cost?
A: Tickets for under 2s are free although they are not entitled to their own grandstand seat and must sit on a parent's lap. Tickets for under 10s are half price in the standing areas only. Unfortunately we cannot discount any grandstand tickets due to the cost of building them.

Q: Are any tickets being made available for local residents?
A: Yes, 10% of all general tickets will be given free to people living in the area around the event site. The boroughs affected by the 2007 UK event are Greenwich, Newham and Tower Hamlets and local residents will be invited to enter a ballot to win 2 free tickets each. All tickets will be allocated randomly by computer based on applicants’ addresses.
The ticket ballot starts on May 17th on www.redbullairrace.com. For further information, please see the ticketing section of this website.

Q: Is there any corporate hospitality at this event?
A: Yes. We have the Race Club at Trinity Buoy Wharf which provides a fantastic view of the race as well as complimentary food and drink throughout the day. Further information on this can be found in the UK ticketing section of this website.

Q: What’s the best way to get to this event?
A: Undoubtedly public transport is the easiest way to access this event and all ticket holders will be directed to a particular tube/train station to ensure that they arrive as close to their viewing area as possible.

It is our intention that this event be 100% accessible by public transport and we have worked closely together with TFL to ensure that sufficient tubes/trains have been laid on to accommodate our event guests as well as the regular number of travellers on these methods of transport on a weekend.

TFL also has a great journey planner that can help ticket holders find their way to the nearest tube/train/bus stop for their viewing area.

http://www.redbullairrace.com/

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Sounds cool..

Yeah I misssed the free tickets in 2005 ..

Would like to see this though...

Can anyone confirm if you will be able to see from other areas along the thames, as it says on v r's post you will not be able to see the event outside of the designated areas....

Surely you will be able to along the thames somewhere...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yeah, i wondered that myself, need some local knowledge (Flops). :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All I know is that you can see The Dome (02) from outside the Cutty Sark pub.

Blowed if I'd pay twenty quid to watch some airplanes fly up and down :confused:

I mean, I can go to Biggin Hill, Heathrow and Gatwick and see aeroplanes for next to nothing.....

I reckon they're taking the Mick meself, they say 'Children are free' but it's under two's. Under two's are only just about walking and may still be in nappies, effectively babies. And for half price a kid has to be under 10. Which means an 11 year old pays the same as an adult.

El ripoff.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but that's how I feel about it.

Think I'll take the boat out that day and insist on sailing past The Dome :lol:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yeah I feel the same flopp's...

I think its a bloody rip off asking for 20 quid to look at a few planes flying up and down the thames...If there gonna stage it there it should be a free event..

How the hell can you close that part of the thames off, and how you gonna stop people who are out for a stroll on that part of the thames...

I think they have a bloody cheek...:mad:

Reaction score
The day of the Biggin Air Show i watch it from the old RAF Kenley Areodrome.
And for the RNAS Yeovilton from a friends garden next to Westlands.
Sadly these shows are charged at such high prices that to take a family of 4 can cost £££.
Or may be i'm a bit tight!
nod.gif

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Indeed the price is a bit steep. Last year (Longleat) They charged £20 (IIRC) for a car, If you get 4 in a car that a fiver each. Bargain.

Just out of interest Flops, are you the area they class as 'local' below?

10% of all general tickets will be given free to people living in the area around the event site. The boroughs affected by the 2007 UK event are Greenwich, Newham and Tower Hamlets and local residents will be invited to enter a ballot to win 2 free tickets each. All tickets will be allocated randomly by computer based on applicants’ addresses.

May be worth a sniff, If your lucky but still dont want 'em.......:D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, I'm in Greenwich, might be worth entering just to give them to somebody a little keener than myself.

I reckon though if you stood at the top of Greenwich Park, near the Observatory, with a good pair of binoculars, a picnic and an icebox full of beers, you'd still get to see a lot :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Yep its well good, just wanna see it live, as i said before missed the draw first, then it was cancelled. Third year lucky!?

Ask a Question