Nod32 version 2 observations

RH

Anyone else running Nod32, version 2?
I have since it was released.......any problems? None for me.
I DEFINATELY like they ONE icon in the taskbar, new user interface.
Seems faster than the older one, and I've actually started using the
AMON feature, instead of keeping it off. Seems to suck a little less
resources.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10......but I'm kind of biased toward NOD32 ;)

Duane Arnold

I got no problems with NOD32. I like that IMON feature. I like that IMON can
catch an email that has been infected and allow you to leave it at the pop3
server when pulling it to the OE or Outlook Inbox. I can then use Mailwasher
to whack it at the server or try to clean it before pulling it to the
machine.

Duane :)

optikl

Duane Arnold said:
I got no problems with NOD32. I like that IMON feature. I like that IMON can
catch an email that has been infected and allow you to leave it at the pop3
server when pulling it to the OE or Outlook Inbox. I can then use Mailwasher
to whack it at the server or try to clean it before pulling it to the
machine.
I'm tryin' to think of an instance in which I'd want mail that was carrying
infected attachments. I can only come up with one in which I requested it
from the sender.

Fridrik Skulason

They do not seem to offer downloading cumulative updates from
their web.

There are problems with cumulative updates. The most serious one is
the size...an incremental update might be 1% of the size of the
cumulative one.

This becomes a problem when a large number of users downloads the
updates at the same time...even if the update servers are have a good
fiber-optic connection they can be overloaded trying to send out
terabytes in a short period of time....tlis leads to delays for the
users. Besides, not all users
have a fast ADSL connection - downloading a 1-2 megabyte file over a
slow modem can be irritating.

Most AV companies either offer incremental updates, or are moving in
that direction - this includes us (F-PROT): Incremental updates will
be the rule in the future.

Blevins

RH said:
Anyone else running Nod32, version 2?
I have since it was released.......any problems? None for me.
I DEFINATELY like they ONE icon in the taskbar, new user interface.
Seems faster than the older one, and I've actually started using the
AMON feature, instead of keeping it off. Seems to suck a little less
resources.

I'd give it a 10 out of 10......but I'm kind of biased toward NOD32 ;)

Using it now and I haven't noticed any problems with it.

Stephen D. Salmon

Using it now and I haven't noticed any problems with it.

All you who wish to comment, regardless whether you would say the new
NOD32 works or it doesn't, would do much to increase your post's
helpfulness by including your OS & hardware configurations. I might
want to try switching to the newer version but I'm hearing some say it
works while other's say it doesn't. No one seems to be giving me any
idea whether it might work for me or not.

Stever

HT

All you who wish to comment, regardless whether you would say the new
NOD32 works or it doesn't, would do much to increase your post's
helpfulness by including your OS & hardware configurations. I might
want to try switching to the newer version but I'm hearing some say it
works while other's say it doesn't. No one seems to be giving me any
idea whether it might work for me or not.

I upgraded to V2 a couple of days ago. I see no difference in perf and had no
problems. It's definitely more appealing looking, no longer kludgey with all
the various icons and you can schedule scans within NOD32.

XP Home and P4 1.1G/512M

RH

Windows XP, SP1, 1gig ram, P4, 1.8ghz, intel motherboard, 80gig
hard drive, Nvidia GeForce FX5600 ultra, ADSL internet connection.

RH

Sounds like something didn't "take"......any chance you can
roll back, using system restore? Get it stable, double check and
make sure you have no other antivirus software installed/running.
Also, any chance you had Norton, or McAfee at some point before
you installed Nod32? I've seen a lot of horror stories about
NAV/Mcafee not removing itself completely, and then hosing the
computer when you try to install another antivirus software.
After you make sure everything is uninstalled, you might also
try cleaning out the registry. One program I like is called RegScrub
XP. It will remove orphan entries. There are others out there, but
BE CAREFUL when dumping stuff out of the registry. Try downloading
Nod32 again, and try another reinstall......let us know how it goes.
I've e-mailed Eset software, and usually have received a reply within
a few days.

snerd

Win2KProSP4 Intel MB @1.4ghz, 384mb mem, nVidia GEForce2 GTS,
60 gb HD ...... no problems here and love the new version.

snerd

bc_acadia

Yeah and I'm having problems (but I LOVED version 1). On my older
Win98 system using IE6

I just heard back from NOD tech support and their answer was absurd!
They referred me to this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;276459

This article tells me to stop using MCAFEE while surfing. I don't
even have Mcafee on my system, I have (or should I say I "had") NOD!
Anyway, if Mcafee antivirus can cause this, then maybe NOD can too,
anyway at this moment there is absolutely no antivirus on my system.
When my wife gets back from the doctors I heading over to Staples and
get NAV. Like I said somewhere (was it this thread?, I don't remember
anymore, this is driving me crazy!) if I can't use the best, I'll
settle for second best. The fact that NOD would rush a buggy program
to market, asking us to be "patient" while they fix things (my
excludes also weren't working) and then give useless tech support
concerns me (why oh why won't they let us keep version 1?!).

Acadia

JGL

(e-mail address removed) (bc_acadia) wrote in
(e-mail address removed) (bc_acadia) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
I just heard back from NOD tech support and their answer was absurd!
They referred me to this Microsoft article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;276459

This article tells me to stop using MCAFEE while surfing. I don't
even have Mcafee on my system,
(why oh why won't they let us keep version 1?!).

Acadia

Have you posted to the NOD forum?
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/index.php?board=39

You can keep version 1. Still available for download
http://www.nod32.com/download/download.htm
scroll down to NOD32 version 1 - English

regards

JGL

Acadia

I just downloaded Etrust. Missing some of the features that I've come to
appreciate with NOD but it is light on the System Resources just like NOD
was. I'm planning on using this antiquated system of mine for one more year
at the most. When I finally get a brand spanking new, modern pc, guess
what's the very first antivirus that I'm going to try?!

Acadia.

Blevins

Yes I did post there and had a couple of suggestions, none of which
worked. I was however impressed by the way they tried and their
concern. I emailed NOD back about their absurd email and they
apologized. They hadn't realized that the MS article was about
McAfee.

I got quite a chuckle out of that one.

RH

Sorry you had problems with Nod32......must be something with
your computer configuration. I have been running version 1 since
XP was in beta, then installed version 2.0 when it was released,
and I've had not one single problem. I've also installed it on my
laptop, and several friends at work have bought it, installed it
and are not experiencing any problems. Perhaps if you'd post your
results of tips we give you here, we could work it out.

Acadia

Perhaps if you'd post your
results of tips we give you here, we could work it out.

Thanks, I really appreciate that but so far I'm liking this Etrust although
it is missing some features I'm use to. It may be my imagination but I
could swear that this Etrust actually is having less impact/footprint on my
system than NOD did and THAT is saying something.

Acadia

Blevins

Etrust actually is having less impact/footprint on my
system than NOD did and THAT is saying something.

Yes, I believe it does use less resources. However, it was my
experience while using ETrust that it doesn't fare anywhere near as
well as NoD32 and some others in virus/malware detection.

Acadia

Yes, I believe it does use less resources. However, it was my
experience while using ETrust that it doesn't fare anywhere near as
well as NoD32 and some others in virus/malware detection.

You are probably correct. I think only NAV gets close to equaling NOD in
detection.

Acadia.

Blevins

You are probably correct. I think only NAV gets close to equaling NOD in
detection.

Yes, and as much as NAV has improved in recent years (hard to believe,
but it has) I still wouldn't use it.