NOD32 caused an invalid page fault...

* * Chas

problem just started this evening. Running Win98SE with NOD32 2.70.32 with
the 4219 (20090705) signatures.

I get this error message when running the NOD32 On Demand Scanner:

NOD32 caused an invalid page fault in
module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff9da1a.

I watched the scan several times and the error seems to happen when NOD32
hits the SpyBot S&D folder. I tried scanning the folder by itself and that
causes the error too.

I updated the latest detections for Spybot 1.6.2.46 and ran it this
evening before running NOD32.

I ran both scans because Firefox 2.20 locked up on me when some web page
tried to run in the background. I had to hit reset to get my system back.

I checked all of the obvious problems, Temp files, DL files and so on.

This system has had all of the MS Win98 updates and has been running
smoothly for many years of every day use. It's running connected to a NAT
router.

Chas.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

* * Chas said:
problem just started this evening. Running Win98SE with NOD32 2.70.32
with the 4219 (20090705) signatures.

You seem to be using a very old operating system, plus an old version of
NOD32. According to their web site, they are selling version 4, and it
works with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista only. Perhaps your latest update
of v. 2.70.32 no longer works with W98?
I ran both scans because Firefox 2.20 locked up on me when some web
page tried to run in the background.

...and an old version of Firefox. I am curious what exactly is the "some
web page" and why you would allow it to "run in the background." What is
it doing?

* * Chas

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
You seem to be using a very old operating system, plus an old version of
NOD32. According to their web site, they are selling version 4, and it
works with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista only. Perhaps your latest update
of v. 2.70.32 no longer works with W98?

..and an old version of Firefox. I am curious what exactly is the "some
web page" and why you would allow it to "run in the background." What is
it doing?

I appreciate your suggestions. I have legal copies of every version of
Windows from 3.0 up through Server 2003 except ME. For most of what I do
Win98SE has been meeting my needs for the past 10 years.

We could go on about why but suffice it to say.. "It meets most of my
computing needs" with much fewer problems than later MS OSs.

Later versions of NOD32 and FF are not compatible with Win98.

I suspect that the problem is with the latest update of SpyBot because
when NOD32 On Demand scans the SpyBot folder that's when the error pops
up. I'm only using SpyBot on demand.

One way to check is to uninstall SpyBot but that's 15-20 minutes to R&R
and clean out every trace.

I was hoping that maybe someone else experienced the same kind of problem.

BTW, it was a popunder for Netflix or something like that. Two web pages
were trying to load when the freezeup occurred and I couldn't read the
title bar of the popunder.

Chas.

David W. Hodgins

I suspect that the problem is with the latest update of SpyBot because
when NOD32 On Demand scans the SpyBot folder that's when the error pops
up. I'm only using SpyBot on demand.
BTW, it was a popunder for Netflix or something like that. Two web pages
were trying to load when the freezeup occurred and I couldn't read the
title bar of the popunder.

Have you run scandisk?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

* * Chas

David W. Hodgins said:
Have you run scandisk?

Regards, Dave Hodgins

One of the reasons that I still run Win98 is that I can usually
troubleshoot the few problems I encounter in a matter of minutes. I have a
method for troubleshooting which includes running Scandisk.

I ran a NOD32 scan of the SpyBot folder again this morning and got the
same page fault error. I completely uninstalled SpyBot and reran a NOD32
system scan without any problems. The conflict must be with SpyBot
1.6.2.47 which was a clean install with no resident features activated.

BTW, it was easy to trace because the page fault errors showed up near the
end of the NOD32 On Demand scans. NOD32 scans most of the folders by order
of installation. I ran scans on the folders of the most recently installed
programs and SpyBot S&D was the most recent.

Chas.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

* * Chas said:
I appreciate your suggestions. I have legal copies of every version
of Windows from 3.0 up through Server 2003 except ME. For most of
what I do Win98SE has been meeting my needs for the past 10 years.

Chas, I wasn't chastising you for using the old stuff, just pointing
out that you're going to be having the OS incompatibility problems with
more and more software as time passes.
We could go on about why but suffice it to say.. "It meets most of my
computing needs" with much fewer problems than later MS OSs.

...except that fewer applications will be usable. :)
BTW, it was a popunder for Netflix or something like that.

As I recall, even old Firefox 2.x has "block unwanted popup windows"
options. Do you have those engaged?

Please trim signatures when replying. Thanks.

* * Chas

Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
Chas, I wasn't chastising you for using the old stuff, just pointing
out that you're going to be having the OS incompatibility problems with
more and more software as time passes.

..except that fewer applications will be usable. :)

As I recall, even old Firefox 2.x has "block unwanted popup windows"
options. Do you have those engaged?

Unfortunately fewer web browsers and Anti Malware programs are still
supporting Win98. I was hoping that Linux would have become more user
friendly by now (lack of easy 1 step program installations and updates,
etc.).

The main programs that I use, Office 97, Adobe Acrobat, older 2 D CAD
software, FF and email still work OK. I have other PCs with the updated
programs when I need them.

I need to keep popups enabled in FF to access several technical websites
that I use everyday.

The FF lockup problem occurred when I tried to go from one news article to
the next. It acted like a hijack attempt.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

* * Chas said:
.. I was hoping that Linux would have become more user friendly by now
(lack of easy 1 step program installations and updates, etc.).

Have a look here: http://ubuntu.com/
I've been using it for about three years.

Etal

* * Chas said:
:

I need to keep popups enabled in FF to access several technical websites
that I use everyday.

No you don't.
There is an 'Exceptions...' button where you can enter them
several sites where you want/need to allow popups.

--
"Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
and disregards the rest. Hmm..hmm..hmm.. "

Please followup in the newsgroup.
E-mail address is invalid due to spam-control.

* * Chas

"* * Chas" <[email protected] (remove spamski to e-mail me)>
wrote in message
I ran a NOD32 scan of the SpyBot folder again this morning and got the
same page fault error. I completely uninstalled SpyBot and reran a NOD32
system scan without any problems. The conflict must be with SpyBot
1.6.2.47 which was a clean install with no resident features activated.

BTW, it was easy to trace because the page fault errors showed up near the
end of the NOD32 On Demand scans. NOD32 scans most of the folders by order
of installation. I ran scans on the folders of the most recently installed
programs and SpyBot S&D was the most recent.

Chas.

Last night the NOD32 Full Time Scanner caused a page file error when I
downloaded a fresh copy of SpyBot from their website. When installation
file finished downloading NOD32 erred out.

Just running a scan of the installation file spybotsd162.exe will cause a
page file error.

wrote in message
[...]

The Eset staff is looking into this problem. It happens on several Win98SE
systems with different configurations and hardware.

The problem started after I upgraded from SpyBot 1.6 to 1.62 back in
April, 09. It only happens with Win98 and NOD32 V 2.7 and SB 1.62, not
Win2K or XP.

Just scanning the compressed SB installation file SPYBOTSD162.EXE with
cause the invalid page fault error. There's no problem scanning the
individual installed files.

Chas.