SUPERAntiSpyware and Win98

* * Chas

After Ad Aware stopped support for Win98 I tried the free version of
SUPERAntiSpyware.

It was extremely slow but I'd start it up and go to bed.

Several months ago I bought a copy of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. It seemed to
run faster so it was worth the $9.95.

Last week when I went to do a system scan it took forever to update then
it would launch. I did a complete uninstall and downloaded the latest
version. Same thing. I can't get it to update or launch.

I'm running NOD32 fulltime and Spybot on demand plus I have a NAT router.
My Win86 has been kept well tuned and pruned and works fine with
everything else.

Did SAS stop supporting Win98?

Chas.

chris

After Ad Aware stopped support for Win98 I tried the free version of
SUPERAntiSpyware.

I'm using SAS free on this W98SE system
It was extremely slow but I'd start it up and go to bed.

no problems like that.
Scantime looks normal on my pc for all that has to be scanned.
I'm running NOD32 fulltime and Spybot on demand plus I have a NAT router.

stop running those two and try your SAS again.
Did you look in proces-explorer or something like that how much 'system
idle' you have left? I stopped using Spybot ( only offline ) a long time
ago.
My Win86 has been kept well tuned and pruned and works fine with
everything else.
Win86?

Did SAS stop supporting Win98?

just tried it and got an update
Conclusion : SAS free runs still fine on this pc.

Virus Guy

* * Chas said:
I'm running NOD32 fulltime and Spybot on demand plus I have a
NAT router.

What does SAS do that a combination of MVPS Hosts file + Spybot SD
doesn't do?

Spybot SD appends it's own list of domains to your existing hosts file.
I don't know what else Spybot does (perhaps it sets a bunch of browser
settings like untrusted domains or activex or java settings). Adaware
might do that too (you can still download a .DEF file to keep adaware
current last time I checked).

Above and beyond that, what does SAS do?

AV programs are more of a waste of time. Many don't catch the most
recent threats or the polymorphic files.

When an AV program alerts you to something, that something really got
onto your PC weeks or months ago and it's only now, probably because of
a recent update or full system scan, that your AV program is telling you
about it. And that's if the trojan didn't deactivate your AV program in
the first place.

Since you're running Win-98, the fact that most malware, virus and
trojans won't run properly (if at all) on win-98 is another reason not
to get all bent out of shape over seeking an AV solution.

When you are sent a suspicious file, or when you download something
dicey, submit the file to VirusTotal where it will be scanned by about
40 different AV packages.

What do you do about your Java JRE? Are you dilligent about updating it
too? Do you uninstall all older versions while your at it? Do you know
why that's necessary?

A NAT router is good to have for a home or SOHO lan. It functions as an
incoming firewall by default. Aside from the idea that unsolicited
packets hitting your PC is an ugly concept, Win-98 was never vulnerable
to the 5 to 10 network worms that have been discovered during the past
10 years, so in reality nothing can really penetrate a win-9x system
even if it was directly exposed to the net.

Heather

FromTheRafters said:
"* * Chas" <[email protected] (remove spamski to e-mail me)>
wrote in message
[snip]
My Win86 has been kept well tuned and pruned and works fine with
everything else.

¿umop apisdn 86uiM si 98uiM oS

ROFL!! If you need something to fill in your spare time, I have a lot
of painting and house repair stuff......and hey, you get free medical up
here (in case you are a klutzy carpenter, lol).

Figgs

FromTheRafters

Heather said:
FromTheRafters said:
"* * Chas" <[email protected] (remove spamski to e-mail
me)> wrote in message
[snip]
My Win86 has been kept well tuned and pruned and works fine with
everything else.

¿umop apisdn 86uiM si 98uiM oS

ROFL!! If you need something to fill in your spare time, I have a lot
of painting and house repair stuff......and hey, you get free medical
up here (in case you are a klutzy carpenter, lol).

Hey! Why do you think they call them fingerNAILS? - yep - because of me
attempting carpentry.

Buffalo

* * Chas said:
After Ad Aware stopped support for Win98 I tried the free version of
SUPERAntiSpyware.

It was extremely slow but I'd start it up and go to bed.

Several months ago I bought a copy of SUPERAntiSpyware Pro. It seemed
to run faster so it was worth the $9.95.

Last week when I went to do a system scan it took forever to update
then it would launch. I did a complete uninstall and downloaded the
latest version. Same thing. I can't get it to update or launch.

I'm running NOD32 fulltime and Spybot on demand plus I have a NAT
router. My Win86 has been kept well tuned and pruned and works fine
with everything else.

Did SAS stop supporting Win98?

Chas.

I also couldn't update to the latest prodict version of SAS Pro in Win98SE
by using the update button.
Both in Win98SE and Win2000Pro, the updates got much slower to install with
98SE being super slow.
I dl'd the latest ver of SAS Pro and clicked on it to install on Win98SE and
it asked if I wanted to uninstall the old version first.
I did and then rebooted and then installed the newest version and again
rebooted.
It still takes forever to update in Win98SE (perhaps 5min+) but it finally
did. (dual boot system)
The scanning is slower in my Win98SE also, when compared to my Win2000Pro.
Perhaps try the SAS forum (I think there's one) for futher info.
I had to do the same thing for Avast Free Home Edition in Win98SE as I would
get a 'not enough storage space to process this command' error.
It now works also.
Buffalo
PS:I had plenty of unused ram and HDD space available.