Windows XP no sounds after switching operating system

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've found problems very close to mine, but not exactly the same and need some advice.

Everything worked fine on my refurbished HP Pavillon-dv9843cl, but I was running a 64 bit vista, and none of my gadgets (mp3 player, old smart phone) worked with the 64, so my wife installed 32 bit vista. Everything works fine now, except for the sound. The speakers work fine, but when I plug anything into the headphone jacks, I get no sound. The speakers still play when I plug something in to the headphone jacks.

I've gone to the control panel, sound devices, and it says my device drivers are all up to date, but it's still not working correctly.

It says the device controller is "high definition audio device" and, as I said, it says it's up to date.

I've checked all the volume settings, and they appear to be clicked properly.

I run avast anti-virus, if that's relevant.

Any thoughts? I'm a music lover with a great sound system, so this is killin' me!

Many thanks in advance
Rob C

Reaction score
I dont mean to be funny but are sure your its the headphones jack your plugging into and not a microphone connection....from experience i have when you plug your headphones in it shuts off the speakers and you said this isnt happening...either its the wrong jack or your plug is not being acknowledged, whuich is starnge. try going back into the control panl and go through your sound configuration and see if there's a separate setting for headphones and mics etc. I know on my pc there is. I'm not at home so i cant check for you.

Zzzzz

Reaction score
rob.coats said:
The speakers work fine, but when I plug anything into the headphone jacks, I get no sound. The speakers still play when I plug something in to the headphone jacks.

Hi Rob.Coats...
happywave.gif

Welcometo the froum...
happywave.gif

Right mate you have just confused the living life out of me...YOu plug something into the headphone jack, and get no sound. But when you plug the speakers into the headphone jack you get sound..??
Erm I don't quite get what you are on about...

Reaction score
Confusing indeed. My bad Madx. Frustration has overcome me.

I get no sound at all from the headphone jack, but the speakers on the pc itself work, and continue working when
I have either the external speakers or headphones attached.

Captain Zed, I double checked that... and yes, I have two headphone jacks but neither of them work. I checked the device manager for the microphone, and can't find any reference to the microphone at all. Could that be an issue?

Reaction score
rob.coats said:
Confusing indeed. My bad Madx. Frustration has overcome me.

I get no sound at all from the headphone jack, but the speakers on the pc itself work, and continue working when
I have either the external speakers or headphones attached.

Captain Zed, I double checked that... and yes, I have two headphone jacks but neither of them work. I checked the device manager for the microphone, and can't find any reference to the microphone at all. Could that be an issue?

OK I assume from what you are saying the front panel( Head phone Jack) isn't working..HAve you opened the PC case yet and checked for loose connection..?Try this and see what happens..

Reaction score
MadX,
I haven't opened the case, it's a laptop. My wife, who is a really sophisticated computer user, insists that it's a software problem. Also, EVERYTHING worked fine before I switched operating systems. I'll check it out though.

Reaction score
rob.coats said:
MadX,
I haven't opened the case, it's a laptop. My wife, who is a really sophisticated computer user, insists that it's a software problem. Also, EVERYTHING worked fine before I switched operating systems. I'll check it out though.

OK what make of laptop is it..Serialnumber, etc...? Might help in search for a solution for you mate..Might be something as simple as no driver for it ...

Reaction score
Hmmm. Not trying to be funny again but the headphones work on summat else.....did you check....failing that i reckon your new software might have switched something off by default. I'd go back to cntrl panel and keep searching.
I had a nose in there meself just now and couldnt really see owt....try cntrl panel/device manager/sound,video and game controllers...that should give you a dropdown of just 1 or 2 things. Try them cos in there you may get driver details and and the opportunity to check the driver/s for updates....otherwise i'm stumped....its probably something seemples.
I just had an idea.....is the new software equipped for wireless headphones cos i cant think of anything else
Zzzzz

Reaction score
Reaction score
From my experience on all HP laptops when you plug something into the headphone socket it turns off the speakers.

Don't hate me for this but the most common issue is that people plug the headset into the wrong socket.
In reference to above... despite all my qualifications... I still do this on occasion.

Ask a Question