No sound

Paul Hopper

My sound card produces no sound.

O/S: Windows 2000 Professional SP-4
Sound Card: Creative AudioPCI [ES1371], [ES1373] (WDM)

Attempts to remedy the problem are as follows.

1.) Notes
- Device status in device properties says: "This device is working
properly"
- Device usage in device properties says: "use this device (enabled)"
- Conflicting device list in device properties shows "no conflicts"

2.) I stepped through all of the trouble shooting steps obtained from
the properties general tab in the device properties window.

- Check your volume settings [done]
- Make sure that none of the Mute check boxes are selected [done]
- Check your speaker connections and settings [ok]
- Find out if your sound card is supported by Windows 2000 [is]
- Remove it from its slot, and install it in a different slot [done]
- Does the Plug and Play BIOS need to be updated [no]
- Is the Plug and Play BIOS configured correctly [yes]
- Is there a hardware conflict [no]
- Is your device installed more than once [no]
- This troubleshooter was unable to solve your problem [?!?!?]

3.) I performed a driver update searching among other sources, Win2k
CD and Windows Update. Was informed I was using the latest driver

4.) I uninstalled and reinstalled the sound card several times with no
change.

5.) I shut down and connect to my other hard drive with Windows 98
installed. The sound card works!

6.) I shut down and reconnected to my hard drive with Windows 2000 Pro
installed the sound card still does not work!

7.) I have tried several of these over and over again over several days with no
success.

What do I do next?

Thank you
Paul

Paul Hopper

I disabled the on-board sound in the BIOS setup table, but that didn't help.

- Paul

Bill James said:
If you also have on-board sound on the motherboard, try disabling that
from BIOS.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips www.billsway.com/notes public/

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

These things can be frustrating, for sure. Some possible solutions you might try, starting with the least difficult/most likely to solve the problem:

Instead of just uninstalling the driver, delete the device entirely in Device Manager, then restart the computer and see if Windows will re-detect and re-install.

If this the computer came with this card, you should start with the website for the computer manufacturer, and see what they might have for your model. Make sure it is a Windows 2000 driver, since Windows 9x drivers are very unlikely to work.

Go to the Creative website, input the information in their search function, and see if there is a driver listed, http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/.

Download the Everest system information tool. Install and run that to see details of the sound card and see if they match what Windows is saying you have. If you get any different model information, use that to search out drivers. Get Everest here: http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...s_Utilities/Lavalys_EVEREST_Home_Edition.html

If you are up to working directly on the mechanics of the computer, shut down, open the case and reseat the sound card, or even move it to a different slot if one is available. If you are unsure about doing this work yourself, then perhaps you can get a favor from someone who has experience enough. It's not tough, and fairly safe, but there's always a risk.

--

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

Well, I tried everything you mentioned below, and still the sound card
will not work and neither will the on-board sound. So I guess the only
thing left is to reinstall the OS and all apps, unless someone can
think of anything else to try.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/System Analysis Utilities/La

"Bill James" <[email protected]> wrote in message
[...]

DL

If you wish to use the onboard sound chip you would have to install specific
drivers from yr mobo.cd, or from the web site
I would try removing sound card, then seeing if onboard functioned, before
trying the reinstall.

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

Yup, already tried that. With sound card and driver uninstalled and
with correct driver for on-board sound, and with on-board sound
enabled in bios, I get no sound. Speakers work in another machine. All
MS troubleshooting steps have been taken. Refer back to my original
post for all the other things I tried.

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

I can see youve 'jumped through all the hoops'
I cannot see any mention of whether sound origonally functioned, and only
failed after?
If onboard sound is not working, its enabled in bios, no sound card
installed, speakers tested ok it might suggest mobo problem.
But then using a card should circumnavigate this, and you were able to test
card in another sys?

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

The sound has never worked on this machine since I have had it. I got
it used and reformatted the hhd. With everything I've tried, I thought
it might be the moboard, so I put in another hhd with win98 on it,
went into safe mode and deleted the local machine enum key in the
registry, and let the os redetect all the hardware, and then both the
sound card and the on-board sound worked, so the moboard seems ok.
Also, the sound card works in another moboard. At this point I think
maybe something went wrong with the installation of the win 2000 os,
or the os has somehow gotten corrupted, although norton win doctor and
disk doctor show no problems. I guess I'll just have to reformat the
hdd and reinstall the os.

Paul Hopper said:
[...]

If yr going to start afresh I might suggest that you install win2k with
absolute minimum hardware, and test - as far as possible - at each install
of new hw.
good luck