Windows XP No Sound After Xp Pro Reinstall

Reaction score
hav exhausted searches for this topic, nothing seems to work...............I reinstalled ,,,,,,,,,,,,clean boot.............xp prof,,,,,,,,,,no sound since., have reinstalled my motherboard driver, sound driver from the mobo cd,,,,,,,,still no sound,,,,,,,,,,download of driver detective,,,,,,,updated chipset drivers, and sound( onboard) driver,,,,,,,,,,,,still no sound. My mobo is foxconn 946 7ma series, custom pc, foxconn site gives update of realtek ac97 , have tried that , tho b4 had realtek high def audio, working fine, downloaded that again from driverdetective, still nothing. there are no conflicts or alerts in device manager. ran belarc adviser which shows Intel chipset driver and realtek high def audio,,,, am really perplexed?

Reaction score
rushwind said:
, am really perplexed?

Hi and welcome to the forum.............
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Have you checked the BIOS to see that onboard sound has not been disabled there....?

Reaction score
no sound

Madxgraphics said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.............
happywave.gif
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Have you checked the BIOS to see that onboard sound has not been disabled there....?

yes checked bios,,,,,,,,,,,,,,is set to auto

Reaction score
have you tried uninstalling all drivers for the sound. clean registry entries for those drivers.

reboot into BIOS and the set board to defaults before rebooting into xp to try installing drivers again

Reaction score
Hi,

Remove the sound drivers that you have installed from add and remove programmes in control panel. Then reboot the computer and download this programme and install it and tick the box thats Realtek and click clean then reboot the computer.

Then boot back into windows and download these drivers they are the High Definition Audio Codecs. You can download the
Windows 2000, Windows XP/2003(32/64 bits) Driver only (ZIP file).

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Reaction score
thanks all, I followed the advice of triplex,,,,,,,,,and wizkid, but still had no sound! then had the idea to unplug my speakers,,,,,,,,,realtek was working as it told me 'a jack was unplugged' ( I'd assumed my speakers were working as the power light was on), I rebooted the plugged in speakers again.....hey presto SOUND!,,, SO SIMPLE

Reaction score
rushwind said:
SO SIMPLE

That's what my parents said about me.....:p

Normally the things that are stairing us in the face are usually tthe things that are at fault.....

Reaction score
rushwind said:
thanks all, I followed the advice of triplex,,,,,,,,,and wizkid, but still had no sound! then had the idea to unplug my speakers,,,,,,,,,realtek was working as it told me 'a jack was unplugged' ( I'd assumed my speakers were working as the power light was on), I rebooted the plugged in speakers again.....hey presto SOUND!,,, SO SIMPLE

Glad to hear all is well now.

Reaction score
can't install/update realtek drivers

Hi;

I'm glad some people are getting this sorted out, I 'm stymied. There's always an issue with sound on XP installs on every PC I've owned, but this one is the worst yet.

I have tried the Driver Sweeper and reinstall - the Realtek package still fails at end, with "error OxE0000227" (A/V right off).

I looked at the MS hotfix for UAA 1.0a. Looking at the three versions of hdaudbus, a text file with an install option and a .pnf file in the "inf" folder and the file (with the UAA 1.0a info) under drivers in the "system 32" folder, in Windows, I see that I have "1.0a" already. As far as I can tell, the intention is to point the "Driver reinstall/update" buttons to the US file in this folder, but I can't.

I don't see any option for sound devices in the BIOS, so don't see what to check or change.

I tried putting in an old Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card, the device manager sees that too but when I tried to run the drivers installer from Creative, that declared that I didn't have a sound blaster card installed.

Presently, I have three devices with the big yellow question mark:

Other Devices - "SM Bus Controller" and (after the SB card put in) "Multimedia Audio Controller".
Sound/Video/Game - "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus".

I cannot get the option to reinstall/update the drivers on the SM Bus Controller or the Audio Device on HDAudBus, so I can't point them to the hdaudbus file in the drivers folder. I have previously gone to the hdaudbus file in the inf folder and clicked "install" on the right-click menu. The Multimedia one gives me the option to look for a driver, but can't find one online (and the Creative package wouldn't install, so don't see where to point it in download ).

I also have the Realtek folder saved from the previous Windows install, which was Vista. Although Acer puts XP on some of these systems, and they also had these Realtek drivers on their website to support XP installs, the Realtek setup just won't finish. I wondered if there was a Windows 'downgrade' issue with the hardware, so I tried the old SB card - it has an additional slot in the longer connection, fits the PCI slot but maybe that's an issue too (the empty PCI slots are v 2.3, 5 V slots). I plugged the speakers back into the onboard (Realtek) connections after trying the card and not getting anywhere.

The thing is, XP recognizes that the hardware is there as it asks on every reboot, until this afternoon to go look for drivers (hasn't on last few reboots).

At least the sound doesn't seem to be tied to the ethernet connection, so I've gotten that far since Win98...

Don't know the mobo make but the machine is an Acer Aspire M1100 (http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireM1100/AspireM1100sp2.shtml). It came with Vista installed, no OS or backup disk (I made one when the previous owner gave the machine to me).

I have put on my OEM XP Pro, with service pack 3 and every update I can find (most on CD, then some after A/V install and, eventual, internet connection. Yey, I figured out my wireless and hardwire connection by myself). I haven't got as far as my Linux dual boot yet, so don't know if sound would be an issue with that too (saw Linux drivers on Realtek site).

I haven't got very far in app reinstalls yet, so willing to try more things to get this working!

Reaction score
Have also tried disabling UAA under System Devices in Device Manager. The Realtek installation program ran, rebooted. No apparent Realtek application present, no sound, no HD AudBus in Device manager. Re-enabled UAA, HD AudBus reappeared. Still no sound devices recognized or Realtek application visible.

Had problems while still in Vista with speaker ports or Realtek - had to change port when constant "snapping: noises from speakers out of hand, able to reassign ports with Realtek application. Did it again a month or so later, and was thinking of moving speakers to yet a third port. Currently between work contract so decided to try XP install. Acer actually offers this procedure for some models of this computer - but for computers with higher versions of Vista installed!

First attempt at Wubi version of Ubuntu install failed - takes a long time to download file, there was a checksum issue, but reluctant to leave A/V completley off for the approx. 40 minutes it takes for Ubuntu to download as a torrent. Considering doing 'regular' install of older Linux as a dual boot, see if Linus has any problems with Realtek chipset (older Ubuntu versions didn't under VirtualBox in Vista).

Reaction score
Wubi install of Ubuntu 10 succeeded, Linux no problem with sound.

REbooted back into XP, now it recognizes a "Creative SB Live! Gameport" under sound devices, but still no sound. Tried getting a driver again for the "multimedia controller" but nope.

Urrrggghhhh...if it weren't for games (and needing MS Office to format resumes)...hopefully I'll figure out Wine this time, but not counting on it for either MS Office or relaxamos like Dungeon Siege or even Sacred (I know there's a Linux version, I'm not paying $60 for a game I already own!) Also, don't see how I can make the no-cd thing fly for games, I hate using disks while I'm playing when I own the software.

The beat(ing) goes on...

Reaction score
I don really know if one of you had read CompTIA A+ all in one by Mike Meyers, but he was stressing on the point to check the obvious all the time. Once I had a problem with network and was doing all sort of pinging and dns flushing when the problem was a disconnected network cable.

Ask a Question