No Mouse After Logging Off

D

Daddy

This is such a minor issue...but here goes:

I have Windows XP Home SP 3. When I log off my Limited User account and return to the Welcome Screen, I lose the use of my mouse. The mouse pointer doesn't create a cursor, so I can't log in to my Administrator account or even back into my Limited User account. However, I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL and log in that way.

I only have this problem when logging out of my Limited User account. When I log out of my Administrator account, no problems.

I have a Logitech wireless (RF) desktop set, but Logitech's software (SetPoint) is not installed.

Any clues to a cause and fix are appreciated.

Daddy

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

This is such a minor issue...but here goes:

I have Windows XP Home SP 3. When I log off my Limited User account and
return to the Welcome Screen, I lose the use of my mouse. The mouse pointer
doesn't create a cursor, so I can't log in to my Administrator account or
even back into my Limited User account. However, I can press CTRL+ALT+DEL
and log in that way.

I only have this problem when logging out of my Limited User account. When I
log out of my Administrator account, no problems.

I have a Logitech wireless (RF) desktop set, but Logitech's software
(SetPoint) is not installed.

Any clues to a cause and fix are appreciated.

Daddy

==================

I would try a different mouse in order to see if the problem is
mouse-specific. BTW, you don't need to press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Pressing the Tab
key will probably work too.

D

Daddy

Sorry for taking so long to respond. Been spending time with a friend (Google.)

The behavior I am experiencing - no response to left-click after selecting Logoff or Switch Users - is characteristic of Logitech's SetPoint mouse software, at least for the earlier versions of Setpoint that I had on my system at one time, but no longer.

Even though I uninstalled the software long ago, something left behind is causing this behavior. It's not something that bothers me since I can always CTRL+ALT+DEL to the login screen (unfortunately the TAB button doesn't get me to the login screen.) Anyway, I'm not inclined to root around in system files. So I'll leave things just as they are.

Daddy

I'll try a different mouse. And thanks for the tip.

Daddy

Ask a Question