no logon server available

Mike

I have win2k server on my server and win2k on all my
workstations. One of my workstations disconnects from the
server every few days and I get an error message "there
are currently no logon servers available to service the
logon request". I shut down or even choose log off and
then log back in and everything is fine. My DNS settings
are correct. This problem just started about a month ago
and before that there were no problems. My network is
fairly small (6 workstations and 1 server).

What is going on?

serverguy

Any other event log errors, either on the pc or the server? Have you tried
unjoining that pc from the domain, rebooting, then rejoining the domain,
rebooting?

Mike

I have numerous event log errors & warnings. On my
workstation, most have to do with the DNS server, either
the DNS Domain name could not be retrieved or DNS server
failure caused the DNS registration failure.

On my server I get 2 errors. NETLOGON error, DNS server
unable to interpret format.

DhcpServer error, the DHCP/BINL service has determined
that it is not authorized to service clients on this
network for the windows domain:

I have not tried unjoining the pc from the domain.

Vincent P. Reggiannini

I've been having similar experieces ever since I updated 2 clients W2K boxes
with Microsoft's latest "fixes".

Here's what happens;

Randomly, and at different times, different workstations are denied access
to the domain with the following error message;

"Your logon password was rejected or the domain server is unavailable.
Access to theserver has been denied."

No amount of logging in helps. If I just logon to the local workstation I
still get a valid IP address from the Domain Controller's DHCP server AND I
can still "ping" the domain controller (via host name OR IP address).

This seems to occur randomly, and with different machines at different
times. Most of the time it occurs with Win98/Me workstations. Rebooting
the workstations sometimes helps.

Interestingly I can logon with Remote Desktop to the server using the very
same credentials that were denied even seconds ago.

Needless to say my clients are ready to kill me, and they probably already
think I'm an idiot.

I strongly suspect Microsoft's latest "Critical Update", as this problem
seems to have occured simultaneously at 2 seperate client's networks right
after this update. 3 other clients with W2K Servers who I haven't updated
are chugging along happily.

"Your logon password was rejected or the domain server is unavailable.
Access to theserver has been denied."

No amount of logging in helps. If I just logon to the local workstation I
still get a valid IP address from the Domain Controller's DHCP server AND I
can still "ping" the domain controller (via host name OR IP address).

This seems to occur randomly, and with different machines at different
times. Most of the time it occurs with Win98/Me workstations. Rebooting
the workstations sometimes helps.

The fact that this seems to occur with backlevel Win98/ME workstations
leads me to suspect it might be an issue with them finding the the PDC
emulator (a FSMO role) or NTLM authentication. Does restarting the Net Logon
service on the Domain Controller help?

Install the Active Directory client extensions for those OS's (they should
be on the Windows 2000 CD). This will eliminate the requirement of the
backlevel clients for a PDC emulator.

Vincent P. Reggiannini

I have only my own observations leading me to believe it's only 98/Me
clients having this trouble. One of my clients has 99% 98/Me machines on
his network, so the one XP Pro PC he has is only a small slice of the
available machines to monitor. It "seems" like it's only the older OSes
having this problem, but why all-of-a-sudden?

We've never had problems like this before, but now, suddely, after this
recent "Critical Update" all digital hell seems to have broken loose.

Still, with your suggestion in mind I'll tackle that potential solution
tomorrow morning.