Domain server access denied at logon

Vincent P. Reggiannini

I've been having the following problem ever since I updated 2 clients W2K
boxes
with Microsoft's latest "fixes".

Here's what happens;

Randomly, and at different times, different workstations are denied access
to the domain with the following error message;

"Your logon password was rejected or the domain server is unavailable.
Access to theserver has been denied."

No amount of logging in helps. If I just logon to the local workstation I
still get a valid IP address from the Domain Controller's DHCP server AND I
can still "ping" the domain controller (via host name OR IP address).

This seems to occur randomly, and with different machines at different
times. Most of the time it occurs with Win98/Me workstations. Rebooting
the workstations sometimes helps.

Interestingly I can logon with Remote Desktop to the server using the very
same credentials that were denied even seconds ago.

Needless to say my clients are ready to kill me, and they probably already
think I'm an idiot.

I strongly suspect Microsoft's latest "Critical Update", as this problem
seems to have occured simultaneously at 2 seperate client's networks right
after this update. 3 other clients with W2K Servers who I haven't updated
are chugging along happily.

Vincent P. Reggiannini

Well, before I went and un-installed the last update willy-nilly, I thought
I'd ask to see if anyone has seen, or is experiencing similar problems.