No Internet connection on a laptop

Mike Easter

Mike said:
a conflict
between jinxy's GG QP and Vista WM in plaintext mode.
I'm also going to research how GG tries to implement QP Quoted
Printable. That setting generally should not be used.

I have a GG account. I posted a test message elsewhere. That test
message is not in Quoted Printable. That content type should not be
used, and I can't find where to turn it off.

Jinxy's headers contain these lines:

Mine did not.

The linux Tbird wasn't bolloxed by the condition during this
conversation, but the Vista Mail definitely was. It doesn't seem
possible to make a configuration in Vista Mail which can reply to that
GG format and get proper attribution and quote marks.

I'm baffled by how Jinxy can be posting in GG QP and I cannot find a
place to make that configuration when logged into a GG account.

Mike Easter

I'm baffled by how Jinxy can be posting in GG QP and I cannot find a
place to make that configuration when logged into a GG account.

It turns out that the QP condition from GG is uncontrollable and
nonconfigurable - it happens hit or miss inexplicably. When it happens,
it screws up the ability of OE or any of its derivatives such as WM to
reply and attribute and quote properly.

Here are two sentences about the condition posted recently by VanguardLH
with whom I am familiar.

http://snipr.com/u41o9
From: VanguardLH
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general
Subject: Re: Can't use internet options...
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 17:40:25 -0600

<q> Two, Google seems erratic as to when it decides to use
quoted-printable format or not. OE doesn't know how to handle QP
formatted posts. In fact, no newsreader knows how to properly handle QP
posts <q> I have not played around with Google Groups enough to know
why they sometimes use quoted-printable format and other times not. </q>

Personally, I would rather that people participate in usenet groups with
newsreader and nntp news server and use GG just for searching or for
reading and posting to GG-only groups.

There are numerous problems for the GG user and the GG 'condition' also
causes problems for others.

Mike Easter

Playing with a workaround here

"jinxy"
Mike Easter
I had already obtained that driver from the Marvel site.
Good.

The network controller , under "other devices" seems to
be the culprit.

I don't have other devices. Some LGs have a bluetooth. I wonder if that
is other devices.
As far as I can determine it is a Ralink product.

I'm not familiar with bluetooth ware, but I have seen a lot of ralink
network adapters/devices.
Still no luck in even finding my network or any others in the area.
This is starting to become redundant. Frustrated

I'm sympathetic to the frustration, but I think that your concept of
something being broken (as opposed to simply misconfigured) which is
common to both network adapters, ethernet and wireless, is not a correct
analysis.

The workaround was saving Jinxy's post as .nws file then editing out the
bad QP line, then opening the file, editing it and posting it. Absent the
QP line, the message handled normally.

Paul

jinxy said:
jinxy said:
Mike Easter
LG has Marvell LAN drivers at their site for the onboard LAN for
R405-A.C226E -- but I don't know which sub-R405 model you have
http://snipr.com/u3uecProduct Support for R405-A.C226E -
[LAN/XP/Vista] LG Notebook OnBoard Marvell LAN Driver
OS is Vista Home Premium.
The sticker on the underside says-model# LGR40 config-R405-
A and M/N-R405-CPO3A9.
It is exceedingly awkward to search for discontinued products at LG

Here is the drivers page for the...

Product Support for R405-A.CP03A9

notice that is the same as your modelno

(are you working on this problem at all at the LG site?)

Please click this link http://snipr.com/u3vssand demonstrate that you
know what the LG support pages look like.

<snip>
[LAN/XP/Vista] LG Notebook OnBoard Marvell LAN Driver

Details for:
[LAN/XP/Vista] LG Notebook OnBoard Marvell LAN Driver
LAN.zip
Download this File
Size: 19,754K
Operating System(s): Windows XP , Windows Vista
Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller Driver

This is Marvell Yukon Ethernet Controller Driver.
Driver Ver. 10.21.5.3

[ Application model ]
. Marvell Ethernet Controller is applied LG Notebook
. Windows XP / Vista

[ Caution ]
? LG Electronics recommend to use Windows XP or Vista.
Installation Other OS may cause functional problem, and it will not be
covered by product warranty.

- If you install this driver to other product, it may cause functional
defect, so, please be make sure the "Applied Model".

- Installation process may be different according to user's environment.

[ Installation Process ]
1. Download file.
2. Extract file, and it will make folder.
3. Execute "LAN\\SetupYukonWINC_5X6N.EXE "
</snip>

I had already obtained that driver from the Marvel site. Installed a
few days ago. The network controller , under "other devices" seems to
be the culprit. As far as I can determine it is a Ralink product.
Still no luck in even finding my network or any others in the area.
This is starting to become redundant. Frustrated
-J

Ralink have drivers here.

http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=1

Paul

jinxy

jinxy said:
jinxy wrote:
[...]

    Paul- Hide quoted text -

After spending some time going back and forth with this problem, I
decided to start over. I uninstalled the Marvell driver and installed
the latest ver.10.70.5.3. When I did this a blue screen appeared, when
I rebooted a windows repair open and ran. I guess this was like a
"last known good configuration". Now the laptop is finding and
connecting to wireless networks. But I am still unable to get online.
In Device manager under "Network Adapters" the sub heading "other
devices" is gone. " The only conflict is with an 802.11N wireless USB
adapter. This device cannot start code 10. It says Arcadyan Tech
Corp, driver v 2.1.0.0 . I will see if I can find a driver and try
to update. results to follow.
-J

Mike Easter

"jinxy"
After spending some time going back and forth with this problem, I
decided to start over. I uninstalled the Marvell driver and installed
the latest ver.10.70.5.3. When I did this a blue screen appeared, when
I rebooted a windows repair open and ran. I guess this was like a
"last known good configuration".
Now the laptop is finding and
connecting to wireless networks. But I am still unable to get online.

OK then. Major step forward.
In Device manager under "Network Adapters" the sub heading "other
devices" is gone. " The only conflict is with an 802.11N wireless USB
adapter.

You dont't /have/ such a usb adapter that you have told us anything about.

A wireless usb adapter is a gizmo that plugs into one of your usb ports,
which is a potential solution if your onboard wireless is broken - a
condition we have not established.

In that device section, it should have listed the Marvell and whatever is
the ethernet wired adapter.

In Vista, the name of the place where you can examine your wireless
connectivity is Network and sharing center/ which shows a graphical of the
connection (which presumably shows the Marvell connecting wirelessly) and
the option to select View status and in that section there is a Details
button - that information would be most useful here, but unfortunately
Vista can't copy it except with a screenshot, so I guess you should jot
down the result of these lines:

DHCP enabled (yes/no)
IPv4 IP address
IPv4 DHCP server
IPv4 DNS servers

jinxy

"jinxy"

OK then.  Major step forward.

[...]

In device manager here is exactly what is listed, still no conflicts.
- Netwok Adapters-
802.11n Wireless LAN card
Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) #2
Blutooth Device (RFCOMM Ptotocol TDI) #2
Generic Marvel Yukon 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller

Here is the info. from "details" in the Network and Sharing Ctr.
DHCP is Enabled
Ipv4 IP Adress 192.168.1.106
IPv4 DHCP server 192.168.1.1
IPv4 DNS servers 64.71.225.198
Hope this helps solve the mystery.
-J

Mike Easter

jinxy said:
"Mike Easter"
In device manager here is exactly what is listed, still no conflicts.
- Netwok Adapters-

so you do have bluetooth in your LT.
Here is the info. from "details" in the Network and Sharing Ctr.
DHCP is Enabled
Ipv4 IP Adress 192.168.1.106
IPv4 DHCP server 192.168.1.1
IPv4 DNS servers 64.71.225.198

I don't like that DNS server and I don't know where it came from.

The good news in there is that you are accessing the router and getting
a translated IP address, that 192.168.1.106 so you are networked.

Your connectivity to GG to post here is via a Rogers cable in Ontario,
maybe somewhere around Oshawa; but that DNS server is I don't know
what. The IP doesn't rDNS, it doesn't show a port 53 which I would
expect of a nameserver and it belongs to an outfit called webhosting.net
which sounds like it would be in the business of webhosting :)

I can't imagine that rogers cable would assign a nameserver like that.
A person can pick any public nameservice they like. When I get my
nameservice from my connectivity provider earthlink, I am assigned their
nameserver, but I don't like it, so I mostly use the free fast public
one of opendns.

Google recently started offering a free public dns server at 8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4 which I assessed with Steve Gibson's dns tool. The google one
was faster than earthlink's but slower than open dns.

In any case, I don't know where that DNS you have came from. If it was
assigned by the cableco, I don't know why. Or maybe you are accessing
GG googlegroups via some other connectivity than the laptop's router is
on -- but I still don't understand the DNS picture.

What can you tell us? If you don't know; I would just fix it.

On my network, I can configure to get my DNS from my gateway and I can
configure my router to get the dns however I like, such as earthlink's
or opendns or google's.

jinxy

[...]

I don't know what to tell you. The owners of the LT run on the Bell
network and it won't connect for them and they live in Bancroft Ont.
We have 4 LT's running off of our wireless router, plus 3 of the 4
ports are cabled and no one ever complains about connectivity
problems. How do I go about fixing it without messing up all of the
other units? Down the rabbit hole we go.
-J

Mike Easter

jinxy said:
I don't know what to tell you. The owners of the LT run on the Bell
network and it won't connect for them and they live in Bancroft Ont.
We have 4 LT's running off of our wireless router, plus 3 of the 4
ports are cabled and no one ever complains about connectivity
problems. How do I go about fixing it without messing up all of the
other units? Down the rabbit hole we go.

What does ipconfig on one of the other computers on your network say?

Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /all

What happens if you put this address into a browser addressline on the
LT? http://209.68.27.16/

That's the IP chicken which will answer by its IP address.

What is the brand and modelno of your router? I'll figure out how you
can look at its status to see if anything is funny in there.

Mike Easter

"jinxy"
How do I go about fixing it without messing up all of the
other units?

You can configure to use google's dns instead of the assigned one just for
the LT.

I'm looking at a vista machine now:

Start/ CP/ Network and sharing center/ Manage network connections/ R click
wireless network connection/ Properties (continue alert)/ select Internet
Protocol 4 etc and click the Properties button/ General tab - change
obtain DNS address automatically to Use the following DNS server addresses
and populate with google's public dns IPs 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.and OK your
way back out.

Mike Easter

Mike said:
"jinxy"

You can configure to use google's dns instead of the assigned one just
for the LT.

Here's google's page offering the service and providing configuration
instructions link http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/ - What is
Google Public DNS? - Read our configuration instructions. -
http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using.html - Using Google
Public DNS - Configuring your network settings to use Google Public DNS
- Changing DNS server settings on Microsoft Windows Vista

Mike Easter

nobody said:
Mike Easter wrote:
Mike should have at least told more about OpenDNS.

Ha! I'm always telling too much more about everything :)
http://www.opendns.com/

I've been using OpenDNS for a few years now.

Good info about opendns. They actually have a lot of stuff to offer.
It's just me, but I prefer NOT to use *anything* a broadband provider
gives you except "the pipe".

When I was trying to find the DNS IP for Rogers (I never did) I ran into
rogers webforum talk where a lot of/ some/ people were recommending to
not use Rogers DNS.

Earthlink caught so much flak about that advertising on failed DNS that
they chose to offer an optional set of IPs that didn't do that.

jinxy

Start> Run> cmd> ipconfig /all

What happens if you put this address into a browser addressline on the
LT?  http://209.68.27.16/

That's the IP chicken which will answer by its IP address.

What is the brand and modelno of your router?  I'll figure out how you
can look at its status to see if anything is funny in there.
What does ipconfig on one of the other computers on your network say?

The IP on a second pc says- 192.168.1.103 with the same DNS server #
64.71.255.198

-When I entered the Ip Chicken address into the browser I get the same
reply- IE cannot display the webpage

Router- Linksys m/n WRT54G v.3
Thanks.-J

jinxy

The IP on a second pc says- 192.168.1.103 with the same DNS server #
64.71.255.198

-When I entered the Ip Chicken address into the browser I get the same
reply- IE cannot display  the webpage

Router- Linksys m/n WRT54G v.3
Thanks.-J- Hide quoted text -

I have gone through the steps to change the LT to use Goolge as the
DNS server. When all was changed the same results are produced. IE
cannot display the webpage. I currently doing nightshift so please
excuse any delays in my replies. Thanks for your ongoing interest and
efforts in solving this problem with me.
-J

Mike Easter

jinxy said:
Mike Easter

You forgot to tell me what this said when you did it on the LT, perhaps
(actually probably or surely) because I didn't properly configure it for
Vista.

(I'm not very familiar with Vista yet)

Run is an accessory in vista. To get to run and ipconfig /all in Vista, use

Start/ All programs/ Accessories> Run/ cmd/ ipconfig /all
The IP on a second pc says- 192.168.1.103 with the same DNS server #
64.71.255.198

Aha! That is *not* the same DNS IP. You said 64.71.225.198 earlier,
which befuddled me.

That IP above makes perfectly good sense for a Rogers DNS, because its
rDNS is dns.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com
Router- Linksys m/n WRT54G v.3

OK. That router works the same as mine to look into 192.168.1.1.

When I am mystified, sometimes I just try to look at the router's html
with the funky computer; in this case the LT.

So, to do so, you would put http://192.168.1.1 into the LT's browser's
addressline.

For right now, we won't even put in the password, just see if you can
get 'to' the router's login with the LT.

Mike Easter

jinxy said:
I have gone through the steps to change the LT to use Goolge as the
DNS server. When all was changed the same results are produced. IE
cannot display the webpage.

Yes it turns out that the DNS is not the problem; the assigned DNS is
actually a rogers when the correct IP is examined, and the chicken IP
place didn't work either.

You can leave the google IPs in there, it is harmless as long as there
are no mistakes made in the IP address :)

We have to find the problem somewhere other than DNS. See the other post.

jinxy

Yes it turns out that the DNS is not the problem;  the assigned DNS is
actually a rogers when the correct IP is examined, and the chicken IP
place didn't work either.

You can leave the google IPs in there, it is harmless as long as there
are no mistakes made in the IP address :)

We have to find the problem somewhere other than DNS.  See the other post.

--not
Mike Easter

Sorry about the DNS error :-( Glad you caught it. I tried to put the
192.168.1.1 into the LT's browser bar and got the same results. cannot
display the webpage.
This is what the ipconfig/all shows on the LT.
DHCP is Enabled
Ipv4 IP Adress 192.168.1.106 (preferred)
IPv4 DHCP server 192.168.1.1
IPv4 DNS servers 8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
What should the setting read under Windows IP Configuration? I have
Host name: PC, Primary Dns suffix: which is blank, then Node
type:broadcast, next is IP Routing Enabled :no.WINS Proxy Enabled: no,
and finally DNS Suffix Search List: Rogers.com
Just curious, is there an antenna somewhere in laptops, similar to the
way there are built into automobile windsheilds? If so could this be
the culprit?
-J

Mike Easter

jinxy said:
Sorry about the DNS error :-( Glad you caught it. I tried to put the
192.168.1.1 into the LT's browser bar and got the same results. cannot
display the webpage.
Hmmph.

This is what the ipconfig/all shows on the LT.
8.8.4.4
What should the setting read under Windows IP Configuration?

All that stuff is normal.
I have
Host name: PC, Primary Dns suffix: which is blank, then Node
type:broadcast, next is IP Routing Enabled :no.WINS Proxy Enabled: no,
and finally DNS Suffix Search List: Rogers.com

All that stuff is OK.
Just curious, is there an antenna somewhere in laptops, similar to the
way there are built into automobile windsheilds? If so could this be
the culprit?

If there were an antenna problem, you would have a very weak signal.
You can see your signal quality in that network place I described
earlier, Start/ CP/ Network and sharing center - there's a graphic with
Connections - signal strength.

I'm befuddled over how you are getting an IP address from the router,
but you can't see it.

Is your browser configured to use the network? You said you were using
IE, which has vulnerabilities you know, and its connections is in Tools/
Internet Options/ Connections tab

Can you ping the router? -- even if a router is configured to not answer
pings from the WAN it should answer pings from its LAN

Use the same run cmd to ping:

Vista/ Start/ all programs/ accessories/ run/ cmd/ ping 192.168.1.1

You can also try to ping one of the other machines such as whatever was
the IP on another machine on the network, such as .103, ie 192.168.1.103
or whatever it was.

The IP chicken place will also answer pings, try that one 209.68.27.16

Not all webservers will answer a ping.

I tried to ping that rogers nameserver, but it wouldn't answer me, but
I'm not on its network.

Also the google nameserver will answer pings 8.8.8.8

It is going to be a little weird if you can't ping your router.

What is the firewall situation on this vista?

jinxy

All that stuff is normal.

 > I have

All that stuff is OK.

--
Mike Easter

Is your browser configured to use the network? You said you were using
IE, which has vulnerabilities you know, and its connections is in Tools/
Internet Options/ Connections tab

Seems OK , I compaired it to my Toshiba running XP Home.

You can also try to ping one of the other machines such as whatever was
the IP on another machine on the network, such as .103, ie 192.168.1.103
or whatever it was.

Done. Reports: 4 packets sent, 4 received and none lost.
Vista/ Start/ all programs/ accessories/ run/ cmd/ ping 192.168.1.1
The IP chicken place will also answer pings, try that one 209.68.27.16
I tried to ping that rogers nameserver, but it wouldn't answer me, but
I'm not on its network.

Done. All 3 report the same, 4 sent 4 received and none lost. The only
differences are in speeds.

What is the firewall situation on this vista?

The Vista LT is running Windows firewall. I dont see any others in
the progams listings. It is set to ON recommended. I tried turning it
Off to see if there was any chance of a connection, but no luck. I put
it back to ON.

If I get a hold of a USB wireless adapter, do you think it will make
any difference? Let me know what you think and I will purchase one if
needed.
-J