No backward compatibility in Xbox 2

Green Shampoo

Mickey Johnson said:
You must be old... a 7800 could play 2600 games.. 5200 were a different
style of cartridge.
The Japanese Super Famicom (SNES) was backwards compatible with the
Famicom (NES.) For whatever reasons, they changed the style of
cartridge for the US version. I have heard of some people who have
modified the game slot on their SNES and played NES titles.

Clixx

Do you not think that people felt the same way about PS1
games back then?

My guess is as good as yours. People were used to not having
backward compatibility. That could be the reason. Also I think
that Sony would have a hell of a time figuring out what
percentage of players were actually interested in backward
compatibility of PS2, and I don't really trust the pharse
"internal Microsoft figures", so the actual number is likely to
be higher then 10%.

Silvertip

Ken said:
(e-mail address removed) (R420) wrote in message

What about backward compatibility of peripherals, like controllers,
connectors, memory cards, etc.?

Surely, they won't make us go out and repurchase all that stuff too.
Wanna Bet?

Eiji Hayashi

Clixx said:
My guess is as good as yours. People were used to not having
backward compatibility. That could be the reason. Also I think
that Sony would have a hell of a time figuring out what
percentage of players were actually interested in backward
compatibility of PS2, and I don't really trust the pharse
"internal Microsoft figures", so the actual number is likely to
be higher then 10%.

or it could be lower. But regardless I do agree with you that its a
little difficult to come up some any sort of accurate figure in this
area especially as backwards compatibility is mostly important in the
beginning year and becomes less and less important as the console
establishes itself. So if you were to conduct say, a focus group this
late in the console's life, the results you're going to get is going
to be far different than what you get in the earlier stages of the
console's life or before the console launches. If MS claimed only 10%
of their own players were interested in the potential backwards
compatibility feature of XBOX2, then that I would buy, but claiming
that about a product that isn't even theirs I find skeptical at best.
The only figure that I can claim with any sort of confidence would be
that FOR ME, backwards compatibility was a factor, as I never owned a
PS1.