Nintendo increases R&D spending

R420

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/05/28/rtr1388082.html

Nintendo talking about a 'Revolution' for gamers
Reuters, 05.28.04, 5:26 AM ET

TOKYO, May 28 (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd <7974.OS> said on Friday it
has codenamed its next-generation home console "Revolution", cementing
a pledge to offer video game fans an entirely different gaming
experience from current machines.

The company said on Thursday it would like to debut a new game machine
at next year's E3, the game industry's annual trade show usually held
in May, but Nintendo officials said it would be wrong to call
Revolution a successor to its current GameCube console.

"This won't be a continuation, but rather something entirely
different," Nintendo Senior Managing Director Yoshiro Mori said at an
analyst's briefing. Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reuters
earlier this month that the next-generation game machine would change
how people now play video games, sitting in front of a television
holding a controller.

The Kyoto-based game maker said it plans to boost research and
development (R&D) costs 27 percent from a year ago to 20 billion yen
($180 million) in the business year ending March 31, in part to fund
development costs for Revolution.

Nintendo generated buzz at this year's E3 with a new dual-screened
handheld game called "DS", which will come with two, three-inch (7.6
cm) LCD screens, one of which is touch-sensitive and works with a
pen-like device.

The company forecast on Thursday that it plans shipments of 3.5
million "DS" machines this business year, but Nintendo's Mori said the
potential is much bigger.

"If it is well received by consumers, it's not out of the question to
see shipments rise to 10 or 15 million units in the next business
year," Mori said.

Nintendo has the advantage of letting its partners, notably ATI and
IBM, carry most of the R&D cost for development of Nintendo's chipset
for the next console. this was also probably true of Gamecube.

Monkey

Anyone else worried Nintendo's next console is going to be something stupid?
I'am. The only way I want to play video games is by sitting in front of a
TV holding a controller.

Mike Harrison

Monkey said:
Anyone else worried Nintendo's next console is going to be something stupid?
I'am. The only way I want to play video games is by sitting in front of a
TV holding a controller.

Me too. Whenever Nintendo says they want to do something "different"
it means it's going to suck. Virtual Boy, DS, and this Revolution are
all examples of Nintendo suckage. What they need to do is forget about
"different" and release a successor to the GC with backwards
compatibility, online play (like XBox live), and a hard drive. Also
enough graphics power to run games like Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and
Farcry. I don't want different, I want better. I think Nintendo is
giving Miyamoto too much reign. He has too many stupid ideas of what
he thinks is "different", eg. Four Swords, PacMan Vs. He's wasting
his time when he should be working on the next generation of Super
Mario games, let's see the successor to Mario Sunshine.

cj's place

Mike Harrison said:
"Monkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Me too. Whenever Nintendo says they want to do something "different"
it means it's going to suck. Virtual Boy, DS, and this Revolution are
all examples of Nintendo suckage.

Wow, you have advance knowledge that DS is going to suck. You're my
hero.

Monkey

Mike Harrison said:
"Monkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Me too. Whenever Nintendo says they want to do something "different"
it means it's going to suck. Virtual Boy, DS, and this Revolution are
all examples of Nintendo suckage. What they need to do is forget about
"different" and release a successor to the GC with backwards
compatibility, online play (like XBox live), and a hard drive. Also
enough graphics power to run games like Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and
Farcry. I don't want different, I want better. I think Nintendo is
giving Miyamoto too much reign. He has too many stupid ideas of what
he thinks is "different", eg. Four Swords, PacMan Vs. He's wasting
his time when he should be working on the next generation of Super
Mario games, let's see the successor to Mario Sunshine.

I agree.
Nintendo needs to stop wasting time and money on gimmicky hardware.
Needing 4 Game Boys to play Four Swords in 4 player is pretty stupid and
really expensive. Whos going to spend $400 buying game boys to play
multiplayer. Why couldn't they have players just use four controllers?

cj's place

Monkey said:
of

I agree.
Nintendo needs to stop wasting time and money on gimmicky hardware.
Needing 4 Game Boys to play Four Swords in 4 player is pretty stupid and
really expensive. Whos going to spend $400 buying game boys to play
multiplayer. Why couldn't they have players just use four controllers?
Idiot. Have you even played the game? Out of the 15 or so people I know
who have GCs, at least half have a GBA and that was BEFORE Four Swords.

Lord Phil

"Monkey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

I don't want different, I want better...

I couldn't have put it better (or differently).

I will happily foresake any ridiculous control method or binary
crotch-interface for a machine which is based on sheer brute power and
ease of use.

And has some decent racing games :)

NOMAN

harrisonm7 said:
Me too. Whenever Nintendo says they want to do something "different"
it means it's going to suck. Virtual Boy, DS, and this Revolution are
all examples of Nintendo suckage. What they need to do is forget about
"different" and release a successor to the GC with backwards
compatibility, online play (like XBox live), and a hard drive. Also
enough graphics power to run games like Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and
Farcry. I don't want different, I want better. I think Nintendo is
giving Miyamoto too much reign. He has too many stupid ideas of what
he thinks is "different", eg. Four Swords, PacMan Vs. He's wasting
his time when he should be working on the next generation of Super
Mario games, let's see the successor to Mario Sunshine.

So if I understand you correctly, you believe that 2 platforms that
haven't yet been released (DS and Revolution) SUCK? Also, you believe
that 2 games you have never played (PacMan Vs and Four Swords) are
stupid?

I'd also love to play Half Life 2 in all its glory on a console (or a PC
for that matter!) but surely that does not mean that
concept/peripheral/gameplay-driven games have no place?

NOMAN

cj's place

NOMAN said:
So if I understand you correctly, you believe that 2 platforms that
haven't yet been released (DS and Revolution) SUCK? Also, you believe
that 2 games you have never played (PacMan Vs and Four Swords) are
stupid?

I'd also love to play Half Life 2 in all its glory on a console (or a PC
for that matter!) but surely that does not mean that
concept/peripheral/gameplay-driven games have no place?
He's just a fanboy.