ng etiquette

Luigi M Bianchi

I notice that more and more threads degenerate into useless holy flames
about free vs shareware. I read this group because I believe in freeware,
but I don't consider shareware evil--after all, programmers too must eat,
put a roof over their heads, etc. In addition we are all looking for the
best software, and sometimes the best software is simply not free, and
sometimes there are no freeware programs of acceptable--let alone
comparable--quality.

In other words, let's not make freeware a religion. Let's try to learn
from each other in an open, tolerant way. We'll consume less bandwidth,
and create a group that is a stronger community.

/luigi

Gert van der Kooij

Luigi M Bianchi said:
I notice that more and more threads degenerate into useless holy flames
about free vs shareware. I read this group because I believe in freeware,
but I don't consider shareware evil--after all, programmers too must eat,
put a roof over their heads, etc. In addition we are all looking for the
best software, and sometimes the best software is simply not free, and
sometimes there are no freeware programs of acceptable--let alone
comparable--quality.

In other words, let's not make freeware a religion. Let's try to learn
from each other in an open, tolerant way. We'll consume less bandwidth,
and create a group that is a stronger community.

/luigi

That's right. No discussion about it. This group is for freeware only
and alt.comp.shareware* is for shareware.

Daniel Mandic

Luigi said:
I notice that more and more threads degenerate into useless holy
flames about free vs shareware. I read this group because I believe
in freeware, but I don't consider shareware evil--after all,
programmers too must eat, put a roof over their heads, etc. In
addition we are all looking for the best software, and sometimes the
best software is simply not free, and sometimes there are no freeware
programs of acceptable--let alone comparable--quality.

In other words, let's not make freeware a religion. Let's try to
learn from each other in an open, tolerant way. We'll consume less
bandwidth, and create a group that is a stronger community.

/luigi

PayPal, Ebay, Click&Buy, Tripod Not Thanks!

I pay the author as I like. Maybe more.....

There is ? in all Freeware, there you can reach the author, org,
company, group etc.....

Do you want to regulate that? Though, much of the software presented
here is coupled with better versions. e.g. PhotoPlus6. V.10 is
available too, but as a commercial software.

I.e. WinRAR. I would have never need more than the freeware version,
everywhere available, but the software is so good that I decided to
register. A perfect example for being inbetween Free- and Software.

By the way. How is it called!? Payware? Software? Moneyware?
Valueware? Worthware?

That´s not religion. Just a healthy sense about value and what I really
need. Forbiding or squelching such manner is more worse than a religion
could be.
Correct me if I am wrong.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Al Klein

That's right. No discussion about it. This group is for freeware only
and alt.comp.shareware* is for shareware.

I heartily second that. If I'm looking for shareware, or books, or
hints on teaching Mynah birds to talk, I'll look in those newsgroups.
I look in this one for freeware (and ideas on writing freeware).

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I notice that more and more threads degenerate into useless holy flames
about free vs shareware. I read this group because I believe in freeware,
but I don't consider shareware evil--after all, programmers too must eat,
put a roof over their heads, etc. In addition we are all looking for the
best software, and sometimes the best software is simply not free, and
sometimes there are no freeware programs of acceptable--let alone
comparable--quality.

In other words, let's not make freeware a religion. Let's try to learn
from each other in an open, tolerant way. We'll consume less bandwidth,
and create a group that is a stronger community.

/luigi

I agree that the discourse in this group (and in nearly all usenet
gorups) could do with a lot less name calling and people writing
things to and about one another that they wouldn't dare say in a face
to face situation. There are ways to disagree without having to be
rude, obnoxious and and occasionally downright obscene. There's much
to be said for trying to maintain a reasonable degree of civility.

On the other hand, while the accusation is often made, I don't think
I've EVER seen anyone suggest in here that, TO THEM, "shareware (is)
evil" or that "freeware (is) a religion." It is, however, very much
off topic to recommend shareware or commercial solutions in a group
called "alt.comp.freeware"

If your primary concern really is about "ng etiquete," but you feel
it's absolutely necessary to recommend commercial software or
shareware, do it OUTSIDE the newsgroup. That would certainly be the
mannerly and polite thing to do, wouldn't you agree?

mike

Gert van der Kooij wrote
That's right. No discussion about it. This group is for freeware only
and alt.comp.shareware* is for shareware.

I take it you mean if someone is seeking an app to perform a certain
function, and AFAIK there is not a freeware version, I should not be able
even to suggest a pay- or share- ware solution.

I think that's an extremely silly and bigoted attitude; it generates heat,
but no light, we don't have to "discuss" it to try to help someone out.

But then I suspect the original post, like so many of the sort, is just a
troll, intended to make mischief, cause dissent and division, use up
bandwidth, and generally get in the way.

And here I am joining in - that's only because I always have to assume a
post of this sort is genuine until I know better

Sadly, that assumption is just about always wrong :~(

Gert van der Kooij

mike said:
Gert van der Kooij wrote

I take it you mean if someone is seeking an app to perform a certain
function, and AFAIK there is not a freeware version, I should not be able
even to suggest a pay- or share- ware solution.

Strictly spoken, that's right. What I would find a reasonable
solution is to reply and set the follow-up to alt.comp.shareware.

rich

Rich_on 9-Jan-2006 said:
Strictly spoken, that's right. What I would find a reasonable
solution is to reply and set the follow-up to alt.comp.shareware.

The problem with this newsgroup are that some the peeps are very pedantic.
If you have a knowledge of a particular subject and there are no freeware
apps available then you should be able to say so and offer an alternative.
At the moment there is one guy asking for help on video editing and he has
no chance of getting a free program to do what he is asking for. What is
the problem with suggesting 'go to ebay and get a oem copy of say *ulead
video editor*. Its given away with so many cheap capture cards and is
almost freeware anyway!

Sorry for the rant but this newsgroup sometimes tends to be negative. Try
and be helpful in the true spirit of usenet. That is what it was set up for,
especially the alt.* newsgroups of which this is one.

s|b

I notice that more and more threads degenerate into useless holy flames
about free vs shareware.
8< snip >8

I have a feeling this thread will be one of those...

Nicolaas Hawkins

Sorry for the rant but this newsgroup sometimes tends to be negative. Try
and be helpful in the true spirit of usenet. That is what it was set up for,
especially the alt.* newsgroups of which this is one.

As, it appears, you profess knowledge of the true spirit of Usenet and
what the alt.* newsgroups were set up for, you will presumably also be
fully aware that, with the odd rare exception, they are unmoderated.
Please, therefore, refrain from trying to moderate this newsgroup.

Nicolaas.

Pricelessware 2006 CD now available.
E-Mail for details: raptor740.gmail@com (swap "." and "@")

.... Why are haemorrhoids called "haemorrhoids" instead of "arseteroids"?

John Fitzsimons

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 02:24:42 +0100, Gert van der Kooij

I don't think people like luigi understands the concept of "on topic".
It doesn't occur to them that discussion of "shareware" should be in a
"shareware" newsgroup.
I heartily second that. If I'm looking for shareware, or books, or
hints on teaching Mynah birds to talk, I'll look in those newsgroups.
I look in this one for freeware (and ideas on writing freeware).

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

Vic Dura

What is
the problem with suggesting 'go to ebay and get a oem copy of say *ulead
video editor*. Its given away with so many cheap capture cards and is
almost freeware anyway!

No problem at all IMO.

Anne Carle

The problem with this newsgroup are that some the peeps are very pedantic.
If you have a knowledge of a particular subject and there are no freeware
apps available then you should be able to say so and offer an alternative.
At the moment there is one guy asking for help on video editing and he has
no chance of getting a free program to do what he is asking for. What is
the problem with suggesting 'go to ebay and get a oem copy of say *ulead
video editor*. Its given away with so many cheap capture cards and is
almost freeware anyway!

Sorry for the rant but this newsgroup sometimes tends to be negative. Try
and be helpful in the true spirit of usenet. That is what it was set up for,
especially the alt.* newsgroups of which this is one.

Well said, Rich, but what you've said will not be well rec'd, I
suspect! <G> It seems the purists on here would rather see *no* reply
to a request for which there is no freeware solution than see
suggestions for shareware and/or commercial programs that would be
helpful--even if there is absolutely *no* recommendation of a
pertinent freeware program!

There appears to be a good balance between those who will go out of
their way to help, even if that means suggesting something other than
freeware, and those purists who insist only freeware solutions be
offered. They can knock each other out, and the rest of us can glean
what we can from the information that hits print when the dust
settles.. ;-)

Anne/OH

Steve H

8< snip >8

I have a feeling this thread will be one of those...

'Course not....no-one's even hinted at top posting nazis yet...

Doh!

Regards ( runs for cover...and shouts 'Magazine coverdisk' from behind
the sofa )...

Why Tea

In other words, let's not make freeware a religion. Let's try to learn
from each other in an open, tolerant way. We'll consume less bandwidth,
and create a group that is a stronger community.

Finally, someone is talking some sense!

I agree with you. I also agree that topics about Shareware
specificically should be done in the shareware forum. But it doesn't
mean that no shareware should be mentioned here when a shareware
clearly does a better job or simply does more than its freeware
counterpart.

There is really sometimes a fine line between freeware and shareware.
Is a shareware that nags you once but with no crippled features
considered a freeware or semi-freeware? The purists will say no, but
from the usage point of view, it makes no difference. Like you rightly
pointed out, programmers have to eat too.

Daniel Mandic

Why said:
There is really sometimes a fine line between freeware and shareware.
Is a shareware that nags you once but with no crippled features
considered a freeware or semi-freeware? The purists will say no, but
from the usage point of view, it makes no difference. Like you rightly
pointed out, programmers have to eat too.

Why shareware?

I found better freeware. Paying them stays in my own opinion.

Most shareware I found is useless for me, targetizing the same modern
farts nobody needs.
e.g. S.M.A.R.T. programs.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic

Why Tea

Why shareware?
I found better freeware. Paying them stays in my own opinion.

That's fine if you can always find a better freeware.
Most shareware I found is useless for me, targetizing the same modern

Can't say I fully understand your English, but let's be fair to all the
shareware writers out there. If you manage to test and find out a
shareware is useless, doesn't SHAREWARE serve its purpose?

Daniel Mandic

Why said:
Can't say I fully understand your English, but let's be fair to all
the shareware writers out there. If you manage to test and find out a
shareware is useless, doesn't SHAREWARE serve its purpose?

It does not serve, when you can not try the essential functions without
paying the full price.

Best Regards,

Daniel Mandic