Next New Rig

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm onto another new rig now, and wanted your opinions on the below, I only just built another machine a few weeks back however I've now parted that into a rack mount case, as essentially it was a server machine which I tried to pull off as a desktop.

Was quite a waste of money, so have put it back into a server environment.

Anyway, I have enclosed an image, can you let me know your thoughts on the rig.

I also had a question, has Microsoft ironed out the issues with x64. I know for a fact that a Q6600 will perform much better under an x64 environment. However I'm a little concerned with driver issues. Is anyone else running x64 XP?

Specification

Chris

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Chris that spec looks good - I´m running Server X64 with a dual xeon with no problems with drivers, so I would imagine it will be fine.

The Asus P5K boards are great with Q6600´s G0 stepping versions :thumb:

Reaction score
Ady,

That's what I'm a tad worried about, are Dabs knowingly selling G0 versions?

Nothing on there identifies them as being G0.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice spec Chirs, that quad is not the G0 as its the 105w TDP version, not the 95w TDP. They aint got the G0's on their site. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got the Q6600 and P5K as recommended and I love them :) Are you going to be gaming much, if so you should be able to get an 8800 for a little bit more - I'm sure I only paid about £160 for mine.

Reaction score
I don't expect to do much gaming, however I do play Counter Strike now and again.

I'm sure the 8600GTS can handle most things, getting an 8800 would be quite pointless, as I know they are the top of the line in the market, something I don't really need.

Or am I wrong. I've included the updated specification list below.

Specification

I don't think I'll be getting the CPU at Dabs, I'll grab a G0 from Overclockers.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Reaction score
I'll look into that Ian and will put a updated specification sheet up later.

I'll be ordering this kit around a week or two from now, as I'm waiting for some parts to come into stock from Dabs.

So why tie the money up now in something that wont turn up for another two weeks or so.

Reaction score
Well I ordered a similar spec to above, different monitors however, and better speakers.

However Dabs are just flapping around and have *lost* my order and my payment.

So congratulations to them for making a complete hash of it, I'll just have to sit tight and await some response from them.

Ask a Question