newsgroup problem


S

Stanley S. Glazer

I can no longer access any newsgroup messages. When I go to Properties on
any newsgroup I find there are many messages there but when I open the
message pane it says "There are no items in this view."
If I Right Click on a newsgroup and click Catch Up, once in a while the
messages appear but usually don't. After I close out I again cannot access
the messages.

Using XP Home w/SP2 and Outlook Express 6. TIA for any ideas.
Stan
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Gordon

Stanley said:
I can no longer access any newsgroup messages. When I go to Properties on
any newsgroup I find there are many messages there but when I open the
message pane it says "There are no items in this view."

You've checked your View settings, haven't you?
 
S

Stanley S. Glazer

View is set to Show All Messages. I assume that's what I want, right? Stan
 
S

Stanley S. Glazer

I don't really know what you mean by new identity. Could you please be
specific and tell me what to do in "baby steps." Thanks. Stan
 
G

Gordon

Stanley said:
I don't really know what you mean by new identity. Could you please be
specific and tell me what to do in "baby steps." Thanks. Stan

OE can have more than one "Identity" and it is quite a common occurrence for
the Main Identity to become corrupted.
In OE go to File-Identities-Manage Identities-New (I think - I'm not on
Windows at the moment so can't be exact) and just follow the instructions.
Create a new News account using your current News server and see if the
problem persists.
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Wesley Vogel

Make sure that your downloading all the messages. Especially look at 3
below.

[[Downloading a newsgroup in Outlook Express
When you open a newsgroup, Outlook Express automatically downloads new
headers. If you are using the default settings, only the most recent 300
headers will download. If there are more than 300 unread messages, you will
see an estimate of the total number highlighted in blue in the Folder list
next to the group's name.

If you wish to download more than the default 300, click Get Next 300
Headers on the Tools menu. But if you find that you have to do this
regularly, you might want to increase the number of headers downloaded at
one time.

1. Click Options on the Tool menu.

2. Click the Read tab.

3. If you want to download all headers each time you open a group, clear the
check box labeled Get 300 headers at a time.

4. To raise or lower the download limit, change 300 to any number from 50 to
1000.]]
from...
Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
 
S

Stanley S. Glazer

Did it but still acting erratically. Status bar shows lots of messages
downloading but all I can get to show are a few if any. Very confusing. Stan
 
S

Stan

Thanks for the links. When I click on a newsgroup the messages don't show as
they used to but if I go to Tools etc and Synchronize I download groups of
300 that I can then view. Once I close I have to access the messages the
same way next time which is a pain but at least I can access them. Stan
Wesley Vogel said:
Make sure that your downloading all the messages. Especially look at 3
below.

[[Downloading a newsgroup in Outlook Express
When you open a newsgroup, Outlook Express automatically downloads new
headers. If you are using the default settings, only the most recent 300
headers will download. If there are more than 300 unread messages, you
will
see an estimate of the total number highlighted in blue in the Folder list
next to the group's name.

If you wish to download more than the default 300, click Get Next 300
Headers on the Tools menu. But if you find that you have to do this
regularly, you might want to increase the number of headers downloaded at
one time.

1. Click Options on the Tool menu.

2. Click the Read tab.

3. If you want to download all headers each time you open a group, clear
the
check box labeled Get 300 headers at a time.

4. To raise or lower the download limit, change 300 to any number from 50
to
1000.]]
from...
Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Stanley S. Glazer said:
I don't really know what you mean by new identity. Could you please be
specific and tell me what to do in "baby steps." Thanks. Stan
 
Ad

Advertisements

W

Wesley Vogel

Stan,

You might be better off posting in an Outlook Express group.

news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Stan said:
Thanks for the links. When I click on a newsgroup the messages don't show
as they used to but if I go to Tools etc and Synchronize I download
groups of 300 that I can then view. Once I close I have to access the
messages the same way next time which is a pain but at least I can access
them. Stan "Wesley Vogel said:
Make sure that your downloading all the messages. Especially look at 3
below.

[[Downloading a newsgroup in Outlook Express
When you open a newsgroup, Outlook Express automatically downloads new
headers. If you are using the default settings, only the most recent 300
headers will download. If there are more than 300 unread messages, you
will
see an estimate of the total number highlighted in blue in the Folder
list next to the group's name.

If you wish to download more than the default 300, click Get Next 300
Headers on the Tools menu. But if you find that you have to do this
regularly, you might want to increase the number of headers downloaded at
one time.

1. Click Options on the Tool menu.

2. Click the Read tab.

3. If you want to download all headers each time you open a group, clear
the
check box labeled Get 300 headers at a time.

4. To raise or lower the download limit, change 300 to any number from 50
to
1000.]]
from...
Outlook Express newsgroups 101
http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/IE/community/columns/newsgroups101.mspx

Mastering Newsgroups in Outlook Express: Power User Tips
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/community/columns/newsgroups.mspx


--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In
Stanley S. Glazer said:
I don't really know what you mean by new identity. Could you please be
specific and tell me what to do in "baby steps." Thanks. Stan
Stanley S. Glazer wrote:

View is set to Show All Messages. I assume that's what I want, right?

Yes.

Try creating a new Identity in OE and see if that helps.....
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Similar Threads


Top