Microsoft Newsgroups

Don

I have used Microsoft Newsgroups many times in the past and received valued
help. Recently, when I have tried to post a new question to a Newsgroup, I
sign in, click the post new question, and I merly end up back where I started
- the already existing questions with no window for me to type my message. I
am running Windows XP Home, and Internet Explorer 6.0 (both with the latest
updates). Is there a setting in Windows or Internet Explorer that needs to be
changed? Incidentally, before someone asks how I posted this question, the
answer is I don't know; this is the first time in a week of trying that I
have been able to post a new question.

I have a second issue. Frequently, when I start my computer, I get an error
message, "Hard disk almost full! No message recorded." My hard drive is a 60
GB unit and when I check it on My Computer, the drive has over 20 GB free.
Any ideas?

Ghostrider

Don said:
[...]

About the Microsoft newsgroup, it might be better to use a newsreader
instead of trying go work through the web.

As for the second issue, 20 GB is not all that big considering that
the computer's overhead for recycle bin, system restore, etc., will
consume it. That is, 10% hunk for this and 10% hunk for that, and so
on do not leave very much. Look around for creating more usuable space,
such as reducing the sizes of items like this, cleaning out Temporary
Intenet folder, etc.

JanJ

PA Bear said:
Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
Accessing the MS newsgroups in Outlook Express Newsreader

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups

I suggest you upgrade to IE7 as well. That way you have a better shot at
making modern web pages display and behave the way they're intended to.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/ie/default.mspx

JJ

Ken Blake, MVP

I have used Microsoft Newsgroups many times in the past and received valued
help. Recently, when I have tried to post a new question to a Newsgroup, I
sign in, click the post new question, and I merly end up back where I started
- the already existing questions with no window for me to type my message. I
am running Windows XP Home, and Internet Explorer 6.0 (both with the latest
updates). Is there a setting in Windows or Internet Explorer that needs to be
changed? Incidentally, before someone asks how I posted this question, the
answer is I don't know; this is the first time in a week of trying that I
have been able to post a new question.

You are using the awful web interface to read this newsgroup, and it's
the slowest, clunkiest, most error-prone method there is. Do yourself
a favor and switch to a newsreader, such as Outlook Express, which
comes with Windows. See

beamish

Don said:
[...]

Hello,
First issue:
When using the web based Microsoft News Group, click on a discussion and the
"Reply" tab will become active. This is above the discussion post. Click this
tab and you should be redirected to a sign in page. After sign in you will be
redirected back to the group you were using.
Can't be of assistance with the second issue.
take care.
beamish.