click the account name, the new messages do not download.

What's odd... the little preview count at bottom left will show "xx
messages, 0 unread', while the folders pane shows there are some
unread, but won't display them!
I did find a way to at least get the messages - if I right click the
account name and select "catch up", the new messages will appear - but
unless they are the newest by date, I can't tell which thread they
were in, which renders it useless to try and find them.

Can anyone offer some help?

As a side note, I noticed at the same time this started, my mail
accounts' inbox is now grouping messages by title, with the little '+'
box to expand ... I am 100% sure it never used to work this way... and
I can't find a setting to turn that off.

Is my WinMail hosed?
Did I get some kind of 'auto update' that broke it, perhaps?

I would seriously consider another email app if I can import my
messages in all of their prospective folders and, just as importantly,
all of my many message rules - any suggestions? ( will anything import
Win Mail rules?)

thanks for the much needed help!

MichaelEvangelista said:
I use Windows Mail to manage several email accounts and dozens of news
accounts. Since moving to Vista early last year, everything has seemed
fine... until now.

Starting a few days ago, Windows Mail will show new messages in a
newsgroup (the account name is bold in the folders pane and has a blue
number in parenthesis showing the number of new messages) BUT when I

unread, but won't display them!
I did find a way to at least get the messages - if I right click the
account name and select "catch up", the new messages will appear - but
unless they are the newest by date, I can't tell which thread they
were in, which renders it useless to try and find them.

That may mean that some of the messages in the newsgroup don't
have even the header downloaded yet, so they can't be displayed.
Click on that newsgroup, then Tools, then Get next 300 headers.
If it doesn't download all the missing headers, you may need to do
this a few more times.

MichaelEvangelista

Click on that newsgroup, then Tools, then Get next 300 headers.

Nope... that was one of the first things I tried.
It worked perfectly until just a few days ago... something is
definitely "wrong"

mikeyhsd

if you are referring to messages in microsoft groups from microsoft servers.
they occasionally get out of sync and this happens.
noticed it more frequently in the microsoft private security news groups.

(e-mail address removed)

unread, but won't display them!
[...]

Nope... I am accessing this group through google groups.
I have several newsgroup accounts on all different servers, and it is
happening with all of them.

I have since been exploring Windows Live Mail as a newsreader and so
far it seems pretty nice... but I'd still like my Win Mail to work...
anybody?