Newsgroup message access problem

Seem to have developed another problem at my Win 98 DeskTop while try access
my query on Win XP problem here.

1. Opened email from this newsgroup in my hotmail and followed link to my
earlier query here. Objective was to follow that email's instruction which
advised me to
"read and rate the response" (which I ultimately did and did with a "Yes").

Anyway, instead of going straight to my message replies, the link took me to
P-1 message window - where my message could not be found (in an earlier case,
another thread, I think it went straight to the message). Tried several
search terms from my message title but no use. Uktimately had to copy and
paste "complete" message subject into search box to finally find my message
here.

2. When subsequently clicked on the various replies to view them, nothing
happened. No disk action; no Internet action (monitor icons blank). I waited
and waited and tried again several times. Nothing.

I cut and reconnected to internet several times to see if it helped. On 1st
ry there usually was some success. Subsequent tries, no. Back to square one.
Like stuck.

At one stage I accidentally observed an "Error on page" message in bottom of
window address slot/bar - where you normally see the URL being brought up.
However, I don't know if this occurred at every try, nor why it occurred at
all.

However, there was no problem when double-click on main question, which
ultimately opened all the replies on one page. So at least, eventually, I was
able to view all replies and click on "Yes" for rating.

I should point out that the above scenarios occurred again with another
standard type email message I received from this newsgroup (or newsreader?)
regarding another query I had posted.

Because Windows error messages are rarely detailed (nor is there normally
any option to expand or 'link' to a deeper explanation), I am at a loss as to
what is actually happening here; whether it's a system problem, Explorer
problem or maybe
a newsgroup server or ISP problem. It would help to know so that I could take
corrective action for the above 2 problems. I do know that I normally have a
few dropouts on my line and usually (like 75% of time) downloads are quite
slow around here.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced similar to above.

Thanx in advance for your time,

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

tedoniman said:
[...]

<snip>

You might want to consider using a newsreader like Outlook Express or Forte
Agent rather than the web interface to the newsgroups - it's a lot easier to
do nearly everything there, including searching, which is always a good idea
to do before you post, as well as mark messages to be watched, and filter
based on replies to your posts.

The Microsoft public news server is msnews.microsoft.com and you can
subscribe to as many groups as you like.

Many thanx for that bit of info. Will give it a go. Just had same problem
getting
here but seems it's limited to email links that say "Read and rate the
response".

Thanx again,

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

tedoniman said:
Many thanx for that bit of info. Will give it a go. Just had same
problem
getting
here but seems it's limited to email links that say "Read and rate the
response".

Thanx again,

You're most welcome - I suspect you won't be tempted to use the web
interface ever again.