Newsgroup Links problem

POP

Hi,

XP Pro, SP2+, IE/OE6, DSL, standard armory of firewall spyware
etc..

I've posted this before and gotten a lot of good advice that I
thought helped, but didn't in the end.

Problem: Clicking a link in a Newsgroup, any newsgroup, does not
work. Nothing happens; it's as if I never clicked the link.

BUT, links in e-mails work FINE! If someone sends me a link
in an email, it works fine. It is ONLY newsgroups where clicking
the link doesn't work.

If I COPY/PASTE the newsgroup link into IE, it will work fine,
so the links themselves are OK in the newsgroup message.

After a bunch of futzing, I created, from scratch, a new Identity
and populated it with only two newsgroups and ONE of several
email addresses I use, so I could prove it worked.

IFF I switch Identity to a different Identity and then switch
back to the Main Identity, the links will work; for a time, but
not for more than a few minutes. Then it stops working again.
Watching the firewall, no data appears to go out.
IFF I simply switch to the other copy of the Main Identity,
same thing: Works for a few times, then stops.

I'm reasonably sure there are no infections or malware/spyware
problems. Nothing shows in Event Logs. Have run Hive Cleanup
and tried any/every suggestion from some very knowledgeable and
respected folks on groups here and in other places.

I use Norton SystemWorks 2006 which occasionally the Security
Console complains about a locked database (10,1055 msg) but I've
uninstalled and restored it from archive. Uninstalling helped
nothing.

I'm not aware of any other problems on this machine. All seems
in OK working order and boot/restart timings are all reasonable,
under three minutes. There is something screwy with Hibernation,
in that it used to take 7 minutes to do, but it did work.
Haven't checked it since I ran BootVis.msi from MS text to
optimize startup.

Any relevent thoughts, comments, suggestions would be most
appreciated.

TIA,
Pop`

Wesley Vogel

Are the links live, in blue or red text?

You may have to copy and paste the included links into Start | Run and click
OK.

That's quicker than opening Internet Explorer and pasting the links into the
Address bar.

Try this:

Start | Run | Type:

regsvr32 urlmon

Click OK

Set Internet Explorer as the default browser
To set Internet Explorer to be the default Internet Browser, follow these
steps:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click the Internet or Internet Options icon, and then click
Programs.
3. Make sure that the Internet Explorer should check to see if it is the
default check box is selected, click Apply, and then click OK.
4. Open Internet Explorer, and then click Yes when you receive the following
prompt:
Internet Explorer is not currently your default browser. Do you wish to make
it the default?
Links in e-mail messages should then open Internet Explorer.

Follow everhthing here...
No Links
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

Hyperlinks in messages stop working
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#hyperlinks

Hyperlinks Do Not Work in Outlook Express or in Word
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=823301

You cannot open a new Internet Explorer window or nothing occurs after you
click a link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Internet shortcuts in Outlook Express do not start Web browser
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/177054

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Michael Santovec

The intermittent nature of your problem is what's strange. There are
lots of things that can cause the problem, but they result in a
consistent problem. And there's not normally any difference between
e-mail and newsgroups.

Are you using any pop-up blockers? These can cause the same problem,
particularly if set to being aggressive. The IE Pop-up blocker is in IE
at Tools, Internet Options, Privacy. Try disabling that and see if it
makes any difference. Your Norton might also have a pop-up blocker.
And there are a number of freeware ones that you might have downloaded.

If you still have problems, try holding down the Ctrl key while clicking
a link. That's a common override for pop-up blockers.

POP

Michael said:
The intermittent nature of your problem is what's strange.

It sure is! And incredibly annoying at times, too.
There are lots of things that can cause the problem, but
they result in a consistent problem. And there's not
normally any difference between e-mail and newsgroups.

That's my experience too. It took me quite awhile to discover
what I've got now, but it's 100% repeatable at any time, whenever
I want to try it.
Are you using any pop-up blockers?

Yes, but have disabled them for testing and now have them
uninstalled except for IE's, which I re enabled. I've more or
less replaced the pop up blockers with one of the MS HOSTS files
so I see the "can't display" messages, but it's not relevant to
this problem; killing HOSTS simply got rid of the messages<g>.

These can cause the
same problem, particularly if set to being aggressive. The
IE Pop-up blocker is in IE at Tools, Internet Options,
Privacy. Try disabling that and see if it makes any
difference. Your Norton might also have a pop-up blocker.

It does, but I've removed/uninstalled it during one of my earlier
tests with no help.
And there are a number of freeware ones that you might have
downloaded.
If you still have problems, try holding down the Ctrl key
while clicking a link. That's a common override for pop-up
blockers.

Thought of that: No happiness.

Thank you very much for your reply: I do appreciate your time
investment. If any of my responses sound "funny", call me on it
in case I misunderstood something. There's always a first
time<g>.

Pop`

POP

Wesley said:
Are the links live, in blue or red text?

Standard colors: Blue, Violet when clicked IFF they worked,
otherwise no change when clicked.
You may have to copy and paste the included links into
Start | Run and click OK.

That's quicker than opening Internet Explorer and pasting
the links into the Address bar.

Hmm, hadn't thought of that; good point, but I usually have IE
open and right there so it's NBD to copy/paste, really.
Try this:

Start | Run | Type:

regsvr32 urlmon

Click OK

Set Internet Explorer as the default browser

Checked multiple times: It is the default.
To set Internet Explorer to be the default Internet
Browser, follow these steps: ....
Follow everhthing here...

Will do:
Many sound familiar, but I'm going to look at each one anway -
never can tell. The fjmjs I think is new to me: tomsterdam I
know almost by heart; no idea which KB's I've looked at
though<g>; didn't keep a record.

Thanks for your time; I appreciate it a LOT. I'll keep the
groups up to date, especially if I find a solution!!!!!!

Regards,

Pop`

Bruce Hagen

If the links change to violet *if* they work, then "Block Images..........."
is unchecked in Tools | Options | Security. I don't know if this would make
a difference, but what the heck, you've tried everything else.

POP

lol, you're right, I've tried a LOT of things. Actually that was
a good suggestion, but didn't seem to help anything. I even
defaulted everything and then after that set all the levels to
min or off, with no change. Thank the heavens for auto-backups;
I made quite a mess of it at one point<g>!

You made a good point though; it could be something off "to the
side" rather than a direct cause for the problem; worth my
thinking about. It's hard to believe I'm the only person who has
ever seen this, it's so repeatable and persistent. I've googled
to the heavens too, without finding a similar issue.

Thanks,
Pop`

Bruce Hagen

You created a new Identity. Did you physically remove the news account info
and reenter it, or did you export/import the account info? If you did the
later, remove the account completely, reboot, and then set up the account
again.

You've probably tried these fixes too, and as Michael said, the fact that
it's intermittent, and only in newsgroups is strange. Reboot after trying
each of these three things.

Try re-registering these dlls:

Start | Run | type, or Copy/Paste, these in one at a time and try again.
(Note the space in each command).

regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 urlmon.dll

In IE, go to: Tools>Internet Options>Programs. Click: Reset Web
Settings - (uncheck box for homepage) - Click Yes.

From:
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

If nothing happens when you click a link:
Open Windows Explorer.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT URL:Internet Shortcut)
and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(Check the path to iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the
double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

#1:
"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore
#3 (blank)

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

************************************

Next, scroll down a little farther to {NONE} URL:News Protocol and check the
settings against the ones in the attached screen shot. You can try
unchecking DDE here as well. Re check it if there is no difference.

POP

Hi,

Well, .. let's see, how do I phrase this? It did seem to make
things some better but whether that's a 0.5% or a 95%
improvement, I've no way of telling, but it WAS a move in a
positive direction. I think<g>!

After running the CMD file, there is good/bad
NOW, when I click on a link, something happens, but ... nothing
succeeds. Where previously "nothing" happened, NOW I get the
faint border around the link I click, and sometimes even a very
short flash of an hourglass. Then nothing. That's the good
news, I think.
The bad news is: clicking links in e-mail now has ALSO
stopped working!
But that might be good news too, because there are other fixes
for when it doesn't work in EITHER place!
Perhaps I've been chasing multiple problems without realizing
it. That would make things pretty sticky anyway, so ... maybe
one of them is out of hte way.

I'm going to rerun the CMD and do a couple Cold Boots but that's
it for now. The wifey for some reason thinks I need to get at
cutting the jungle, I mean weeds, uhh, grass! I need to clear my
head anyway! lol

Thanks; this is the first progress in this area that I've seen in
a LONG time! Here's hoping.

Pop`

POP

Bruce said:
You created a new Identity. Did you physically remove the
news account info and reenter it, or did you export/import
the account info? If you did the later, remove the account
completely, reboot, and then set up the account again.

I created a new, non previously existing identity and populated
it from scratch with one ng and 2 email addresses just so I could
tell everything was working.
You've probably tried these fixes too, and as Michael said,
the fact that it's intermittent, and only in newsgroups is
strange. Reboot after trying each of these three things.

Yeah, I have, but I'm working my way through them one more time
since a tiny change has happened <g> from the CMD script that was
recommended. I suspect I have more than one thing that's a
problem because now, after running the CMD script, email links no
longer work either, but the failure modes aren't silent anymore -
NOW something is at least visibly trying to work. Whether that's
good or bad news remains to be seen<g>.

Pop`

POP

Hmm, HJT; that's a point I'd lost track of momentarily.
I used it early on without any success, suspecting malware of
some sort. I'm reasonably confident I don't have any malware
(skidmarks in the sky, famous last words, etc), but I'm
essentially going back to to square one and starting over again
anyway.
I'm starting over 'cause I think I need a new "control set"
since the CMD script did make it appear as though
now, -something- is trying to work, but nothing of any
consequence yet, altho it also borked links in Emails, which is
also new and possibly good news. Or not<g>.

That's a great list of HJT sites bTW! I'm going to stick those
into my Favorites folder along with a few others I have; thank
you!
Oh, and rest assured, I am NOT afraid to ask for help with
about anything! I imght be dumb, but I'm not usually
stoopid<g>!! Well, sometimes I'm not. Sort of. Uhhh, well I
TRY not to be! <g>.

Regards,

Pop`

POP

OH! MY!! gOD!!! I -think- I found it!!!! Of course I've said
that before, but:

I'm not believing it myself yet and I'm half afraid and
embarassed at the so-far apparent fix, but ... What I did was
un-install OE Quotefix!
Please, don't get me wrong: I am NOT saying OEQuotefix borks
anything. I AM saying that after removing it, testing it without
a restart and getting links to work, and THEN doing three
Restarts and a Cold Boot with tests between each one, links are
working 100% in e-mail AND in newsgroups!

I can't take any credit for figuring it out: If there's any
credit I guess it would be for suggesting HiJackThis. I ran a
prelim log for a "control", spotted a prixm.sys in it, rename the
file so it couldn't be accessed, and nothing happened. So, next
I jus sat back and wondered if program conflicts might be part of
the problem and thinking about that CMD script making some
difference in how it failed, and decided to start uninstalling
apps I wasn't currently using.
The first app I uninstalled was OEQuoteFix. And darn it,
before I even did a Restart, links started working again!

I'm not done working on this yet though. It's got my attention
and I think I'll try to verify the "fix", IF it'll verify, since
I've posted for help twice now at least, and thought at least
twice I'd "fixed" the problem only to find it returning later on.

I've never heard of such a problem with OEQ, so I'd tend to think
it was file corruption. Since it's in my Ghost archives, it'll
be easy enough to put back and check things out.

There's a lot more analysis I can do so, ass-u-me-ing it keeps
working, I'll post back when I'm done and let the group know what
goes down. Right now I feel like the CMD script fixed something
that changed things enough to be able to make some intelligent
guesses as possibilities and I'm thinking I just lucked into the
right now.

I'll have more info later, and my sincere thanks to the folks
here who have offered such great assistance and persevered for
me. Whether this is the complete, final answer or not, I doubt
very much I'd have gotten here without that assistance.

Regards of the highest calibre,

Pop`

POP

PA Bear said:
Which, if any, of the following are/were checked?...

OE Tools>Options>Security>Download images...

Download was and still is checked. Unchecking seemed to make no
difference to anything when I was fiddling with settings. I've
isolated, and am using, last night's archive as a "control" point
for further workings now that I have it operating correctly.
and/or

OE Tools>Options>Read>Read all messages in plain text

Read in Plain Text is usually ON. I do tend to allow HTML now
and then with some groups I participate in. At the moment, it's
set to read in Plain Text only and most of the time was set
thusly.

All I've had time for so far is to prove to myself that I can
get the problem to come back by using last night's imaged
archive. Then I repeat removing OEQuoteFix, and that repeats the
"fix" if that's what it is<g>.

I'm curious as to your reasons for asking - did I forget to
answer part of a post, or is there something more relevant in the
request? At least one of those two sounds familiar. I remain
wide open to any thoughts you may have on the subject.

So far, so good; zero problems are showing up; both email links
and ng links are 100% operational, along with mailto:'s . I'm
hopeful.

Best Regards,

Pop`

Bruce Hagen

Did you end up removing OE OuoteFix completely?

Sure glad you got it going and posted the results. This is something you'll
be able to tell your grandchildren about. <VBG>
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

POP said:
Well, it looks like OEQuoteFix is the culprit. Whether my sy

POP

Yes, I did, and I can't put it back; link problems instantly
return.
There still has to be a problem in my system somewhere, but ...
where is anyone's guess right now. There must be an odd conflict
of some sort. I'm still curious to keep fiddling with it, but
.... I'm already feeling like diminishing returns might be
approaching.
My current suspicions are either Norton Systemworks or Norton
Ghost since they're the most recent and about the only non-auto
upgrades I've done in quite awhile. I -think- GHost was
installed AFTER the problem with the links, but I'm not positive
of that and I didn't keep records good enough to be able to tell.
I'm putting the issue on a back burner right now while I wait
to see if I can spot any other problems/annoyances going on
anywhere. And of course have the time ts'ing those will require.
I DO have a life, although it's not necessarily obvious
lately<g>.

My sincere thanks to everyone who assisted; a happy camper here!

Pop`

Bruce Hagen

I could only guess about Norton, but I wouldn't have anything made by them
on my computer. Problems with OE abound with their products.

I use, and recommend, AVG Free:
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5
or:
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/ww

When prompted, choose Custom Installation and *uncheck* e-mail scanning when
you see the option.

Norton, and McAfee, products are not Outlook Express friendly, and I don't
know of any OE-MVP that would recommend using them.

POP

Yup, I'm aware of the issues around Norton stuff. I like Ghost
though, and the other SysWorks utiliities are very useful
although that's also a dangerous thing to be saying around
here<g>. Norton's been losing ground for a long time but so far
I've never had any big issues with it and that's a lot of years,
so I aint' switchin' yet.

FWIW, AVG is indeed an excellent av product; I often recommend
it, along with ZoneAlarm for a firewall.

Pop`

Jim Pickering

Ghost is handy, but you don't need the complete suite from Norton to have
it. I've configured it to run from a floppy disk (though those are becoming
rare on most newer computers) and have found it handy, but anything else
from Symantec goes into the trash bin and if I see it on a brand new
computer, it's uninstalled before the machine is allowed to connect to the
internet.