New rig won't detect keyboard

Reaction score
I just built my new rig and switched it on for the first time, but it says 'CMOS Checksum error', and won't detect the keyboard. I could probably sort out the CMOS stuff if I could get into the BIOS - but thats going to be difficult when the keyboard won't work!

And yes I've put the keyboard in the right hole. Any ideas?

Reaction score
tomsega said:
I just built my new rig and switched it on for the first time, but it says 'CMOS Checksum error', and won't detect the keyboard. I could probably sort out the CMOS stuff if I could get into the BIOS - but thats going to be difficult when the keyboard won't work!

Do you have a USB keyboard if so try that instead of ps2;)

Reaction score
It's a very standard ps2 keyboard that hasn't been tampered with. I'm pretty sure the keyboard itself is fine.

Every component except the hard drive and DVD drive is brand new. Grr... this is so annoying! Brand new PC, it looks fantastic, it's got a whopping great 7800gtx 512mb in it, and it won't detect the damn keyboard!!! :(

edit: I just tried the keyboard with my laptop and it's working okay - when I connect it to my PC, though, the keyboards LED lights don't come on..

Last edited:
Reaction score
tomsega said:

wow

nice specs v impressive :)
its gona be lightning in your place soon!

yes like itsme suggested try a usb or ps2 keyboard
should sort that out.

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Reset the BIOS using the onboard jumper and or change the Bat.

:thumb:

I've reset the cmos and reset the battery...

I'm not totally sure why it won't detect my keyboard... I've had CMOS problems before, but they've never affected such a fundemental and simple component..

Reaction score
Make sure BIOS usb Keyboard and mouse settings are set to off/disable. In other words dont let the BIOS take control of them disable the setting.

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Make sure BIOS usb Keyboard and mouse settings are set to off/disable. In other words dont let the BIOS take control of them disable the setting.

Er... I think you've answered the reason why I can't GET IN to the BIOS to fiddle with anything!

Reaction score
If you cant even get into BIOS before OS is booted then it could well be the case the M/B is busted yes.

Make sure none of he pins inside the connector are broken off or bent over

Reaction score
Hmmm..... I just feel a bit dubious that a brand new Asus botherboard would be bust out of the box. There's certainly no physical damage I can see...

Anyway, I've contacted the manufacturer and retailer to see if they can help. Cheers.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tomsega said:
Hmmm..... I just feel a bit dubious that a brand new Asus botherboard would be bust out of the box.....
Really? :D

I've had more DOA Asus boards than I did MSI ... and before Floppy gets here, he'll tell you the opposite.

It happens ... shame, but it does. ;)

Reaction score
I knw of a few horror storys too i'm afraid. Luckily none of them happened to me, I dont use ASUS only ABit and Gigabyte.

GL

Reaction score
I've been adopting a 'you can't go wrong with Asus nForce4 boards' attitude at the moment. Maybe I was wrong! I think I'll swap this back...

What alternative mobo's would anybody recommend?

I'll need to find something on scan.co.uk, because that's who I got it through, and hopefully they'll let me swap this for something of equal value.

Reaction score
Oh Dear..Good Luck with scan.

They have never ever ever allowed me to swap or upgrade to a differenct board. They will take board off you and make you wait for engineer to look at it before sending a new one of the same model or equivelent.

I stopped using them!

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
tomsega said:
I've been adopting a 'you can't go wrong with Asus nForce4 boards' attitude at the moment. Maybe I was wrong! I think I'll swap this back...

What alternative mobo's would anybody recommend?

I'll need to find something on scan.co.uk, because that's who I got it through, and hopefully they'll let me swap this for something of equal value.
Tom, I use Asus nForce4 these days too ... very nice. So just get it exchanged for another. :thumb:

I cannot comment on Scan. ;)

Reaction score
It’s the luck of the draw; I have had ASUS/ASROCK/GIGABYTE/PCCHIPS/A-BIT> and many others DOA.

So don’t fret it happens you have to take the rough with the smooth.

;)

Reaction score
I'm generally quick to assume that I'VE buggered it up some how, but then again everythings in it's right place so I'll pass the blame onto Asus, and swap it for a new one. Especially if they're so frequently DOA.

Jeez, to think I spent 500 quid on an Asus graphics card as well! Cheers for the help.

Ask a Question