new printer recommendation

ADR

Reaction score
Hi i am looking to buy a new printer for printing business cards and leaflets for my business. I would like something for a couple hundred pounds but with excellent colour quality and ideally reasonable on ink cartridges and ink volumes.
Any advice or recommendations would be fantastic!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to PC Review :wave:!

What sort of volume will you be going through? I'd strongly suggest getting a colour laser if you're going to be be printing quite a bit - as you'll save money in the long run and it's much cheaper per sheet once you're doing anything other than occasional printing.

I'm not sure how a laser printer would cope with printing on thick card, but perhaps someone here may know more about this. I imagine each printer would come with some specs on the max gsm it can print on, whihc may help.

FWIW, http://www.vistaprint.com is cheap as chips for business cards (or at least it was a couple of years ago) - thought I'd mention it in case it helps!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've printed my own business cards using both colour laser and inkjet printers, the cards come on perforated A4 sheets and go through most printers with no problems. I've tried a few brands of blank cards and imo the Avery ones are best and well worth the extra money. I've also used Staples for printing my business cards when they've had offers on. I use A5 sized flyers and my current printer does a good job with these.

I wanted a new printer recently and also wanted it to be able to send and receive faxes and be wireless. I spoke on the phone to a suppliers and they suggested a Lexmark Printer. I scoffed at this suggestion as Lexmark were not exactly known for being top of the pile, in fact they was a bit rubbish.

But he told me they'd changed, realised their shortcomings and were now making an effort. The model he suggested ticked all the right boxes, even the compact footprint so I took a chance and bought a Lexmark Genesis S800 all-in-one printer. It cost around £165 but it seems it's discontinued now but it was similar to This one but I realise that's out of your budget.

I bought the S800 last September and have waited until now before passing judgement and commenting on it. In short - it's great. And it's a Lexmark. Quelle surprise. The print quality is good, all my network machines access and use it easily and it was a doddle to set up. And the fax functions work well. I haven't used the scan function as I have a dedicated semi-pro scanner but it does make a good, quick, copy.

I've used the four Lexmark 'XL' ink cartridges and they have been much more economical than my two previous HP printers.

Here's some more maybe worth considering Inkjets I never thought the day would come when I'd recommend Lexmark but I have been very pleasantly surprised.

I also use a cheapie Samsung colour laser printer and whilst it's ok for everyday colour printing the quality really isn't up to much so if you do decide to go the laser route, don't go bottom end, purchase at least a medium priced unit.

ADR

Reaction score
Thanks for the replys, i dont think laser is an option though. Although i know the ink will be more cost effective i am more interested in the quality of the print. I have tried vista print before but wasnt keen on the designs or the quality to be honest but thanks for the recommendation. Please continue to post with more advice, is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Kodak keep hammering on in the adverts that their cartridges last longer?
Got an epson all-in-one, but never again drinks ink very quickly!:(

Ask a Question