New PC

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hello again to all,

As most of you are probably aware i built my first PC in Feb and recieved alot of help from people here (cheers), however due to budget constraints and me not knowing alot about PCs' i think i made some bad choices.
However due to my boss giving me a bonus i now have £1000 to build a new PC.

Probably gonna get;

Intel Q6600 Quad Core 2.4Ghz
Asus P5N-E SLI WIFI Motherboard
4Gb OCZ/SLI 800Mhz RAM
APLUS Twin Engine Case http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=323496

Am gonna keep the HDD/DVD/Sound Card.

Stuck on Graphics cards though

Can afford upto £400, either one big one like 9800x2 or two 9800/8800GTX.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I like the idea of the two big fans in the case .
nod.gif

Would you not be better of with better/faster memory ?

happywave.gif

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
well i have 4Gb of 1066Mhz at the mo, but whenever i use my mates there does not seem to be any real difference, he has 4Gb 800Mhz, thought i would save a bit on RAM to use on graphics.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
The case is gonna make one hell of a Din with those massive fans, the wind tunnel effect also causes noise.. I know that as my case has a wind tunnel effect and fan at the front pulling air into the case..
Its also mighty ugly..

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Have to agree that the case is rather fugly......but the fans won't necessarily be loud just because they are big - in fact usually the bigger they are the quieter they can be and still get good airflow, and a windtunnel effect is good to have in a case
nod.gif

I have much smaller 120mm fans at the front and rear of most of my cases and they are nice and quiet.

Other than that, the mobo, CPU choice is good....but you don't need 'Sli' RAM its just a gimick.....grab some excellent Patriot PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency (At Aria for £70 inc VAT for 2 x 2GB or 2 x 1GB at £25 with their Super Specials - bargain!!!!) or some Geil PC2-6400C4 800MHz Ultra Low Latency (On offer at OcUK this week at £30 for 2x1GB inc VAT)

As regards GPU's...not being a gamer I'll leave it to others to comment.

Reaction score
sounds like something I might get in the near future :)

I'm still in love with the coolermaster cosmos though.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Gentlemen, gentlemen, beauty is in the eye of the beholder :D

But FWIW I think that case fell from the top branch of the ugly tree ;)

Ady's RAM suggestions are good :thumb:

This (EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 1024MB GDDR3) would be my choice of graphics within that budget, or the equivalent BFG model.

Choice of case is mostly down to the individual but these are worth considering:

Antec 900

Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the suggestions,

I want that case because when you walk in my living room, whether you like it or not you're gonna say something, also because i think the 25cm fan on the side will cool everything in there, so far i have ordered the following.

The case
4Gb Geil black dragon RAM @ 1066Mhz
Asus p5n32sli plus Mobo
Intel Q6600 (will replace heatsink with noctua, i got after flopps recommendation)

Also i read that 2 x Ati 3870 512Mb are better than the 3870x2 1Gb, is this true of nvidia? Would it be better to run two cards in Sli? The clock speeds are all higher on the 512Mb cards than the 1Gb card, so makes sense?

So in light of that, here are two choices;

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...EA&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1009&name=EVGA GeForce 9800 GX2 1024MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (E891)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showp...roupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1009&name=Gainward GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

Can probably get cheaper somewhere else but, hopefully you get the point of the 1Gb vs 2 x 512Mb.
Also i only ever had an Nvidia card in my laptop so who are the best manufacterers, xfx, bfg etc?

Again thanks alot guys.

Oh have sold the rig in my signature, only lost a few quid on it, so am happy there.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Have gone with 2 x 9800GTX, cost a little more,

When i get my digital camera back from the missus i will try to post photos.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Well, beings as me and my girlfriend are moving in together she has seen fit to spend half my bonus on stuff for OUR new place!

Funny, all the stuff we had was good enough until i told her about my bonus!

So with that in mind, i had to cancel my 9800GTX order.
Am probably gonna go with 2 x 9600GT 1GB Sonics, but my build is on hold at the mo, due to overtime at work and lots of back and forth to IKEA.

Am using a nice Dell Inspirion 1300 Laptop, wooooo.

Ask a Question