new pc what grfx card

Reaction score
Still trying to find best prebuilt pc for money ive been reading up on reviews for 7800gtx and 1800xl
although the 1800xl has the lower specs it sounds as if its gonna out perform the nvidia when it comes to using aa af and hdr simultaniously

your thoughts on this could be of great help

posible specs so far

amd 3700
160 hdd
2 gb ram
1800 or 7800
and an load of other stuff
£1200

good deal???????????????

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
the X1800XT would be abetter choice if you can wait that long

Reaction score
Basically nobody knows what any of the x1000 family cards can do at the moment, as they are on very early drivers and are very unoptimized. I am currently very interested in how this turns out , as the x1800xl has the potential to out perform both the gt and maybe the gtx in my opinion, but it will take time.

When you look at the x1800 xt and the xl, both the xl and the xt have 16 pipelines, and i believe use the same memory chips, however the £100 difference in price is due to the xt having it's core clocked 150mhz faster and memory 400mhz faster. So really if you are into overclocking then i would guess that the xl could reach xt speeds?

I can't remember where i read it, but some company in sweden overclocked a x1800xt to over 1000mhz core clock frequency! This was of course with an unlimited budget and liquid nitrogen cooling system, but there is an awful lot of potential in the x1xxx family that has yet to rear its head, i feel.

Mid November i believe that nVidia is realeasing a 7800 gtx with 512mb memory to compete with the x1800xt as soon as it hits the market, so if i were you i'd wait for that to come along so the prices of the other cards fall

Of course the 7800 gt represents the best value of any card at the minute i think, for around £250 (some x850's are more expensive) you can get massive amnounts of fps and effects for great value.

Historically ATi tends to beat nVidia when it comes to effects, and now that both makers are fully shader model 3'd (new verb :D) it is a level playing field.

My recommendation: The x1800xl has alot more potential than the 7800gtx does at this moment in time.

n.b - HOWEVER if you are planning to use a ATi Crossfire or nVidia SLi motherboard, then obviously get the respective manufacturers card

Reaction score
other prob i just noticed was to have the 7800gtx i would ahve to sacrifice a gig of ram

Reaction score
thanx pot guy what about runing the amd 3700 64 will it cope allright

coz all reviews ive seen seem to be with uber computers 4400 and x2 cpus

Reaction score
ok leaving the XT to one side the XL looks good and when it comes to pipe lines what is that all about
obviosly the higher the better but where do they come in to play

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you just want gaming then a single core is best, 3700 or 4000 will be fine, get a dual core if you do alot of multitaksing with CPU intensive tasks

Reaction score
To explain the pipelines bit:

In theory, the more pipelines a card has, the faster it should be. The nVidia has 24 piplines, while the x1800xl only 16. However what Ati has done is take these 16 pipelines and done extrordinary things to them so they are ultra efficient. In other words, their 16 pipelines is equal, if not better than nvidia's 24.

Also the ATi is clocked higher, and with all ATi's image innovations and effects plus full shader model 3, this is an awesome card.

btw: the reason the xt is £400 is because it is clocked i believe at an incredible 650mhz core clock, and 1500mhz memory! Thats 150mhz more than the xl on the core clock alone.

Ask a Question