Advice on my new (hand-me-down) PC

Reaction score
Hi forum
My old dad has just bought himself a top of the range PC, and has handed me down his old one. Although it isn't exactly cutting edge it is a HUGE improvement over my current one, which is more or less powered by a hamster in a wheel.

I have just done a 3Dmark test and still struggled quite badly on it. I think it's just got an AGP grafix slot so can't get the latest ubercards, but would generally like to spend a couple hundred quid souping it up getting it running the latest 3D games if I can.

Anyway, I was thinking of getting the....
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (AGP)

My questions are - will this work on my mobo?
Is it worth getting this card or should I spend money on something else like the RAM?

Well here's my current spec so take a look, and I really appreciate any help and advice (you guys are alwaqys helpful on this forum) so thanks in advance:
Motherboard:
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 1666 MHz (12.5 x 133) 2000+
Motherboard Name MSI MS-6382(E) (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 2 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366A Apollo KT266A
System Memory 1280 MB (DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (05/14/02)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (256 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Multimedia: Audio Adapter VIA AC'97 Enhanced Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD1200BB-00CAA1 (110 GB, IDE)
Disk Drive WDC WD1200JB-00GVA0 (111 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8320B (32x/10x/40x CD-RW)
Optical Drive LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK
Partitions:
C: (FAT32) 112986 MB (62243 MB free)
F: (NTFS) 114470 MB (47144 MB free) Total Size 222.1 GB (106.8 GB free)

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have a couple of hundered pounds to spend I'd save up until you have four or five hundered and build yourself a totaly new rig . With careful shopping you should be able to build something decent and upgradeable .
In the meantime you might be able to get a better cpu and graphics card for not too much money on the second hand market which would give you fairly decent games playing while you save up .
nod.gif

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
If you have a couple of hundered pounds to spend I'd save up until you have four or five hundered and build yourself a totaly new rig . With careful shopping you should be able to build something decent and upgradeable .
In the meantime you might be able to get a better cpu and graphics card for not too much money on the second hand market which would give you fairly decent games playing while you save up .
nod.gif

Agreed.

Now, the X1950 is a very good card, but it will require a lot of power. Could you please tell us what your PSU is?

As for the CPU, it depends how much you are willing to spend. I reckon £60 would probably get you somewhere above the 2ghz mark, but really you are running into a wall upgrading further.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Save up, its not worth it to spend money on
just use it for something other than playing games...
of course you can play games from 5-6 years ago pretty decently :D

Ask a Question