Video Card/Mobo: Upgrade help please.

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I have been checking on AGP video card upgrades for my computer and I ran across a comment posted by one reviewer who said, "I'd think many a person ready to drop up to $349 on a (AGP) graphics card might want to consider a $99 PCI-E motherboard and a $289 graphics card like the 7800 GT as a possible alternative."

This got me to thinking that perhaps I should invest in a new PCI-E mobo and a new PCI-E video card instead. My current system specs are: Pentium 4 2400 MHz, Asus P4P800 mobo, 1024 MB Kingston RAM (PC3200), NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB), SAPPHIRE Radeon 7000 64MB RV100 DDR, SeaGate 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA, LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S.

So I've come here to ask what your suggestions would be? Upgrade to a PCI-E setup and if so do you have any recommendations? Could I still use the same RAM in a new PCI-E mobo or would I have to upgrade that as well? The reason I was just going to spring for an AGP card upgrade was the cost and because I didn't want the hassle of upgrading everything else in the process.

Please, if you can, I am hoping for somewhat detailed responses instead of just, "I agree PCI-E is the new hot thing and AGP is on itsway out. Get a board with 2 PCI-E slots and you can do cross fire and SLI."

For instance, links to mobos and video cards that I could check out, because like I said I don't want to spend a bunch of money. I'm not a PC gamer or a computer modder/ocerclocker, so I could care less in those regards. I am a graphic designer so I would be interested in better graphics and performance for when I use my design programs.

Thank you.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Get an AGP video card or ... a new PC, it's that simple.

AGP is still a good platform to use, even in gaming. Sorry to say that the technology has moved on very quickly and no manufacturer what's be be still building for a dieing trade.

A new PCI-E MB will in-tale ... a new CPU, memory & graphics card ... pointless looking for a MB that may use your old memory.

Go get a new AGP card ... but don't spend a fortune on it. :thumb:

Reaction score
Thanks, MS. I'm looking at this one here. The reviews on this card imply it is the best as far as AGP goes. What do you think?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
dcloud said:
Thanks, MS. I'm looking at this one here. The reviews on this card imply it is the best as far as AGP goes. What do you think?
Yup, that will do fine, a bit OTT (over the top) for a non-gamer, but you won't need another card.

Should extend the life of the PC very nicely for your "design" programs. :thumb:

user.gif

Reaction score
dcloud said:
Hi everyone. I have been checking on AGP video card upgrades for my computer and I ran across a comment posted by one reviewer who said, "I'd think many a person ready to drop up to $349 on a (AGP) graphics card might want to consider a $99 PCI-E motherboard and a $289 graphics card like the 7800 GT as a possible alternative."

This got me to thinking that perhaps I should invest in a new PCI-E mobo and a new PCI-E video card instead. My current system specs are: Pentium 4 2400 MHz, Asus P4P800 mobo, 1024 MB Kingston RAM (PC3200), NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 (128 MB), SAPPHIRE Radeon 7000 64MB RV100 DDR, SeaGate 250 GB 7200 RPM SATA, LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-1673S.

So I've come here to ask what your suggestions would be? Upgrade to a PCI-E setup and if so do you have any recommendations? Could I still use the same RAM in a new PCI-E mobo or would I have to upgrade that as well? The reason I was just going to spring for an AGP card upgrade was the cost and because I didn't want the hassle of upgrading everything else in the process.

Please, if you can, I am hoping for somewhat detailed responses instead of just, "I agree PCI-E is the new hot thing and AGP is on itsway out. Get a board with 2 PCI-E slots and you can do cross fire and SLI."

For instance, links to mobos and video cards that I could check out, because like I said I don't want to spend a bunch of money. I'm not a PC gamer or a computer modder/ocerclocker, so I could care less in those regards. I am a graphic designer so I would be interested in better graphics and performance for when I use my design programs.

Thank you.
Parts 1 and 2 of this article should directly answer the AGP question:
Tom's AGP card analysis: Part1 10Jan07
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/10/agp-platform-analysis/
Tom's AGP card analysis: Part2 1Feb07
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/02/01/agp-platform-analysis/
Your current motherboard/cpu is an excellent combination for its time. You will find that a platform upgrade will do more for you as a non-gamer than will just a videocard change, simply due to processing power. If you want to upgrade, then we can discuss generational platform changes, cost, and what you have to do to get there. Yes, your 1GB of DDR will can be saved, but you may not want to...

Last edited:

Ask a Question