new pc shopping list

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PS:

The best PC in the world probably won't run Crysis at full res, that game is a conundrum.

But your system will run it at medium res and it will look good. Same goes for Crysis:Warhead.

All the others: crank 'em up.

Reaction score
aye its a bit of a beast that game i be ordering it crysis warhead shortly any other game which will givem the pc a run for its money lol

Reaction score
rick75 said:
all ordered now be here saturday roll on, 48 odd hrs to go.

Cool I bet you can't wait. :) Sorry if I mislead you.

I will be here if you need any help when building it up.

Regards,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Why would anyone recommend a 9600GT anymore???

It was good when it was released but 8800GT, 9800GT all really cheap and they trash it, 8800GTX/ 9800GTX+ £130 cheap as chips or a GTX260 as he was willing to spend £175 on an ATI card.

Sorry to be negative and all but....

Reaction score
Hi,

The card that you orderd will be fine for what you need. If you ever need to up-grade again then you can go for other cards.

Thanks,

Wiz

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hi,

No no mistake mate, just that it isn't a top end gaming card, and from the original spec you posted with the HD 4870 thats what i thought you wanted???

I think people got confused in some of the eaelier posts, no 9600GTX, is either 9600GT or 9800GTX+.

When it comes and its built then see if you are happy or not.

I'm probably just grumpy as i have quit smoking, sorry.

Reaction score
hi all im back well after alot of talking reading debating ect i have decided against the nvidia cards for now and gone for a HIS ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI/HDMI (PCI-Express) - Retail £95.99

now i have read both sides of the coin on cards and looked at results and spoke to plenty of people and all come back saying this card will beat the card i was gonna get which was that 9600gt,so i will give it a go and see hope ya al still gonna help me here delivery on saturday

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Good, i'm glad you have gone for a better card.

4850 is a bloody good card. runs hot but good.

Reaction score
got plenty of fans running 5 fans i think in total so should be ok can it be o/c or not

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Yeah it can be overclocked, but depends on which one you got and what the cooling is like, you won't really see much of a gain in performance on overclocking graphics cards, 10% at the absolute max and the extra heat isn't really worth it.

have a look on google for 4850 fan fix, i read about it a while ago, the fans are quite noisy but is easy way to moderate it.

Reaction score
from what i have been told the whole pc can be overclocked but this is gonna be some doing lol or is it easy peesy

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Okay, your Processor Q6600 will overclock to about

3.8Ghz per Core on Air Cooling
4.5Ghz per Core on Water/Liquid Cooling
5.1Ghz Per Core on Liquid Nitrogen

Depending on what memory you got you can normally get an extra 50 - 200Mhz out of it.

If your Graphics Card has Core set at 650 and 1000 then these can go to 750 and 1150.

HOWEVER like i said about 10% performance increase is the MAX.

It depends on the Card, my 8800GT may overclock more than Bobs 8800GT even though we have the same card, luck of the draw.

All overclocking results in more heat being produced as more voltage is required to go higher.

If you don't know what you are doing then don't bother as you can wreck your £1,000 quite easily and its not covered in the warranty if you wreck it by overclocking.

Also there are things called Benchmarks and Real World Benchmarks.

A Benchmark is where i run a program and it tells me how good my PC is.

A Real World Bench is you playing a game and then being able to tell me the difference on an overclocked machine.

You probably can't, I can't and 99.999999% of others can't as well.

The only thing worth overclocking is the CPU but are you gonna use over 3.0Ghz per core on a quad core???

I hope this helps, if you are intent on overclocking then read up on it first.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
There are plenty of rviews that feature the cards you have been discusing. Some are very interesting.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...sk=view&id=227&Itemid=72&limit=1&limitstart=7

happywave.gif

Reaction score
so here we are everything was packed nice and tight in box checked list done and everything there.

so next was to get started after a coffee or two and a quick read of the maunals ect here's the case antec 300

so next we got the mobo to put in first here we are asus p5q pro

once i sorted out that and added her into the case i started on the cpu added the artic thermal paste pretty straight forward that bit,then straight into her new home,added the artic cooler pro 7 in and here we are

next was the chunky ram called the corsair dominator 4gb of ram with airflow fan(whether this works or just a gimmic i dont know)looks nice feels solid andeasy to clip in mobo here we are

the fan just clips on top fairly tight and snug fit have a look yourself!!

^^^^^^^just fits in next to the artic fan^^^^^

not gonna bother boring you with pitures of hdd,cdrom,dvd units as we all know what they look like lol.so here's the fishished pc.

so overall how did i feel doing my very first pc blooming wonderfull:D scary at times and when you come to boot her up and see the screen say no boot device ect ya know we are there.the psu gave me some headaches mainly cables what goes where but thanks to the guys here i sorted it,tryed to tidy cables up a bit but i anit gonna see inside anyway but it looks good.so all thay leaves me to learn and do is the overclocking any links plz would be great.
i hope you enjoyed my little blog and please you read this far so you might as well leave feedback!!:D

ps. graphics card has now been moved to its proper home above:lol:

Reaction score
ok i've a 3dmark06 not quite sure on what settings to add ect but just ran the program and this is my results

Reaction score
Hi Rick,

I bet you are really pleased with yourself and your new rig. Everything looks fine to me in the pictures, With 3DMark 06 I would try and max out the settings and see how it goes. check what FPS you are getting in 3DMark 06. That is a very high score aswell, you can post it on 3dmarks website and compare your rig to others. it is scary at times when building your first pc but once you have done a few you get use to it. You have done really well. :thumb:

I am not to sure on how to overclock ram cpu ect, but I know how to do the GFX Card, download this. this program will allow you to adjust the fan speed. Also you can overclock the GFX card. Here is a guide on how to use it.

Regards,

Wiz

Last edited:
Reaction score
ok cheers for that if anyone knows how to do overclocking that be great, if someone can do a step by step guide for me as never done it before cheers.

Ask a Question